Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-05-11, 05:25 PM   #1
|MaguS|

Default Whole Home Wired Networking

Has anyone done it here? How difficult is it to set up? Im thinking about doing it for my house, would make it a lot easier to share files between my different systems.
Old 02-05-11, 08:09 PM   #2
Technoholic

Send a message via MSN to Technoholic
Default Re: Whole Home Wired Networking

My dad has done it. He's a nerd when it comes to networking, lol

We installed two wireless access points, and run the network wires through and outside the house. I can't really explain much because my dad did it himself and I help him out.

What I can explain is that if you're comfortable with drilling holes and run wires through the house then it will be okay and easy. If this will be your first time, it may be hard but once you know what you're doing, it'll be easy. We have five rooms that are wired, and my dad installed them by himself. From den room to downstairs living room, the wire runs outside. From den room to my bed room which is the other side of the house, the wire runs outside. But to get from room to room that is inside the house, the wires run down from the attic between the walls.

If you have any questions, I can try answer and ask my dad for some answers if needed.
-- EVGA 280GTX | SAMSUNG 225BW | X-FI XTREMEGAMER FPS | Z-5300e | Z-2300 | 250GB SEAGATE | RAZER LACHESIS
-- 320GB WESTERNDIGITAL | TAGAN 700W | G15 rev. 2 | NINE HUNDRED | VISTA HOME PREMIUM
-- no longer own this system

[MY LAPTOP]
-- MAC BOOK PRO 13" | DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | 2.3GHz i5 | 4GB DDR3 |
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD
-- Stolen :^(

[STUFF]
-- PSN: lqfocus06
-- AEKDB
Technoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-11, 08:15 PM   #3
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Doing the actual wiring is the hardest part. If you got a good set of drills, bits, and fish tape, then your good to go.

Be sure to get a good quality 12-24 port switch for all the connections.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:09 PM   #4
Runningman

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Has anyone done it here? How difficult is it to set up? Im thinking about doing it for my house, would make it a lot easier to share files between my different systems.
its quite easy, just get a fish tape to fish the wire threw the walls. Get yourself a pair of wire crimper's and a box of cat 6 cable and some punch down blocks for the walls. Also, you are going to need a simple cable tester to make sure each wire is connected if you don't feel confident in doing it yourself, see if you can find someone to guild you. There is nothing more sucky then to have a loose wire in a punchdown block thats causing you to drop your connection.
If you really want some serious bandwidth then go with two dropdowns from your two pc's to a switch and aggregate two nics to double your bandwidth.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:22 PM   #5
Runningman

Quote:
We installed two wireless access points, and run the network wires through and outside the house. I can't really explain much because my dad did it himself and I help him out.
This might not be such a good idea, if I remember, when they make Ethernet cables and when they pull the twisted pairs threw the sheathing they use a peanut based oil as a lubricant, so you may get a few visitors nibbling on your cables.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:46 PM   #6
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
This might not be such a good idea, if I remember, when they make Ethernet cables and when they pull the twisted pairs threw the sheathing they use a peanut based oil as a lubricant, so you may get a few visitors nibbling on your cables.
My old man used to have his office on his property- seperate building from the house out back. He ran Ethernet from his office to the house, along the outside. Still there to this day and working great. That was about 7 years ago he had it setup to.

Probably depends on the area as to how big an issue you'll have. Also, run it under yer' awning/roof over hang so it's more difficult for larger critters to get to.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 01:23 PM   #7
Q

I bought my home in July 2009. My network tech came out to help me actually run the wire, but I did the termination for all 24 ports at both the port and the patch panel. You'll want a high quality punch tool.

I bought 1000' of Cat 6, face plates, terminators, and 2 punch panels from Monoprice. I use a Dlink Green 24 port switch which has worked great.

Depending on how many drops your doing, it can be a very large and time consuming project. You'll want attic and/or crawl space access. The fish tape, along with a string with a bolt tied on it, will be your best friends for running the lines.

I think I spent less than $200 for the whole job by doing the labor myself. Maybe $150.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 01:41 PM   #8
Bigbuck

Send a message via MSN to Bigbuck

If you want it to be all internal, which is possible just difficult to do, try to find an electrician or someone who took electrical wiring training. Most likely they have done wall fishes before. It really isn't that difficult it just takes a lot of time. We did it when I took the course and I've done it a few times working as a cable technician.
As for tools, definitely get a fish tape and/or fish sticks. I would also recommend a flexible drill bit for drilling through the floor joists/studs. I bought the Klein punchdown and crimper for work. Haven't had any problems with the crimper but the 66 blade that came with the punchdown breaks fairly easily. Damn replacements aren't cheap either. Use cut in boxes as it makes things look a lot better and you can coil some extra cable in the box just in case.
You can look online for the standard so you get your pairs correct. It doesn't matter as long as you keep them all the same, but it's best to use the industry standard.
We run all of our coax outside and I can't tell you how many outlets I've replaced because of squirrels. Running it outside should be a last resort. Just looked and I'm about 2.5hrs from you haha.

Old 02-10-11, 05:52 PM   #9
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I bought 1000' of Cat 6, face plates, terminators, and 2 punch panels from Monoprice. I use a Dlink Green 24 port switch which has worked great.
Used the same at another office, those switches work very well. We had a linksys gigabit 24-port switch and it crapped out after 3 weeks.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 01:55 PM   #10
Yaboze

My whole house was wired with CAT5+ in 2002 before I had wireless. I have about 8 drops and everything is pulled into the basement where my Cable Modem/Router set up is. Still use Ethernet 100/1000 for my 360, main desktop and some other machines.

The Wii, PS3 and all laptops use a Wireless Access Point.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-11, 01:33 PM   #11
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
I wired a frat house when I was in undergrad. I did 26 connections and laid all the cable myself. It didn't take me very long and I had no prior experience. I am sure you could do just as well.

If you're going to wire it, then use CAT6 and get gigabit devices. With Wireless N typically at speeds greater than 100Mbit, it doesn't make sense to do a 100Mbit network. A gigabit connection should give you about 120MBps of bandwidth, which is more than enough for file sharing.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-11, 05:04 PM   #12
Bman212121

Just curious what kind of layout you have. It can make a difference as to how easy you can make it. For example I've run many connections in our house which is a single story with a basement. Rather than fish the wall and put in boxes (which do look a tad nicer if no one cares about you putting holes into the wall) I just drill a 1/4" hole through the floor near the edge of the wall. You can feed the wire through that and tuck it under molding if you have to run down the wall a little bit. All of the wires are usually behind some piece of furniture so you don't really see them anyway and the hole is small enough you wouldn't see it if you take the wire back out. (You can drill right through carpet too with the exception of berber since that will twist around the bit and then cause a tear. I just pulled it up slightly to make the hole then put it back)

In the basement all of the wires are tacked with cable staples to the beams and ran back into a cabinet which houses the equipment. Both ends I just used RJ45 as a patch panel is a little overkill for home usage. (And costly) Including tools I wouldn't be surprised if you could do something similar for around $100 and a couple days of work. The main advantage I have is having an unfinished basement to run all of the wires in. If you had a 2 story house then it might be considerably harder to get network connectivity between the floors.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote