Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-11, 07:53 PM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: Considering Watercooling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
It's what I use on the rads, not as case fans. CFM figures are less relevant with this application really. I've tried several fans and IMO fans with 8+ wide blades, 1000-1500RPM work best.

As it happens I've just ordered 3 of these to use as case fans.. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/gelid...mance-case-fan
Thanks.
Old 02-02-11, 07:58 PM   #14
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

The fans I linked up higher claim to have a higher CFM while having a lower decibel rating at higher speeds. I'll certainly look into the Gentle Typhoons though, they look nice.

@Grey_1

It'll be a little while longer at least. Various things cropping up here and there that need to be taken care of.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-11, 08:02 PM   #15
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf View Post
The fans I linked up higher claim to have a higher CFM while having a lower decibel rating at higher speeds. I'll certainly look into the Gentle Typhoons though, they look nice.

@Grey_1

It'll be a little while longer at least. Various things cropping up here and there that need to be taken care of.
I know that feeling.

This is the model I was looking at.
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=24749

If I get them (probably within a couple of weeks, I'll post impressions and results.
Old 02-02-11, 09:13 PM   #16
WeReWoLf

Well, they've removed those waterblocks from their page and they were the last place in Aus that sold em... So now I will have to resort to Ebay or Importing.

Importing will cost about $670.

EDIT: Or I could get Swiftech MCW80 Universal GPU Waterblock x2, but then I'd need to get various RAMsinks and whatnot.
Old 02-03-11, 04:10 AM   #17
Revs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeReWoLf View Post
The ones you linked look good actually. I'd missed them Might be worth just asking your supplier if he's tried them on a rad. I like the Scythe's because they have good size motors and a quality feel to them, like Noctua, and they don't seem affected by a little resistance. In fact the Noctua Vortex-Control 120 might be a good option for the rads, too, if you don't mind the colour.

The Gelid case fans I ordered should be here tomorrow, I'll let you know what I think of em

As for the GPU blocks. The universal ones work just as well as, if not better than, the full blocks. Plus you can just swap em to a new card when you upgrade. It's just a bit more of a mess-about with the ram-sinks and doesn't quite look as nice. I had to use one on my 260 because the full blocks were discontinued.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-11, 06:16 AM   #18
WeReWoLf

It's working out to be cheaper with the Universal Blocks and Ramsinks than with the full blocks, and upgradability is no concern... I might just go that route. When you put the universal on your 260, did you use a thermal pad/tape for the block and/or mosfet/ram?

EDIT: Well it appears you don't need RAM/Mosfet coolers for the 4XX series.
Old 02-03-11, 06:29 AM   #19
Revs

I used AS5 on the GPU block and the stock adhesive on the ram-sinks, which are the MC14's. The problem there is that for the VRM chips you'll need to chop a couple in to smaller sinks. I would get some spare adhesive thermal pads as a backup because you can easily damage the stock pads while cutting the sinks up. Also, make sure you get enough sinks. My 260 needed 17 sinks, which was a PITA 'cause there are 8 in a pack
Old 02-03-11, 07:36 AM   #20
WeReWoLf

Yeah, no worries there... I still have about 12 floating around here somewhere.

Old 02-06-11, 09:19 AM   #21
XDanger
Whaaat?

If you don't mind the sinks being permanent use this.
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_a...l_adhesive.htm

Pads are crap.

But if there's a better thermal adhesive I'd like to know.
Old 02-06-11, 09:52 AM   #22
Revs

Yeah the pads aren't the best. Mine have bonded ok but I had a job keeping them on while they were setting.

BTW the Gelid fans are excellent case fans. On full they are just audible but put lots of air through. With the resistor slowing them down they are extremely quiet and still put a good amount of air through. They seem very good quality and UV reactive fan looks nice. Worth the money IMO.
Old 02-06-11, 11:06 AM   #23
WeReWoLf

Yeah, I was looking at that Thermal Adhesive whilst bored at work today. Looks like I'll be adding another 480 to the comp though, so 2 separate loops look to be the way to go LOL
Old 02-06-11, 06:17 PM   #24
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
Yeah the pads aren't the best. Mine have bonded ok but I had a job keeping them on while they were setting.

BTW the Gelid fans are excellent case fans. On full they are just audible but put lots of air through. With the resistor slowing them down they are extremely quiet and still put a good amount of air through. They seem very good quality and UV reactive fan looks nice. Worth the money IMO.
Thanks for the feedback Revs. Been wondering about these fans, I'll add them to my list.