Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-08-11, 03:47 PM   #1
user_bjd

Default Desktop freezes upon viewport scrolling on GeForce GTS 250 / Ubuntu

Hi,

I will describe a bug I am experiencing ever since switching to Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat last week. Up front, I should like to say though that I am not at all sure if this is a bug in the nVidia driver. But since I have get no traces of a problem in any of the regular system log files (viewing them live when the bug rears its head), I am posting here first.

For technical information on the system, see the attached nvidia log file.

Description of the bug phenomenon:
I have three viewports on my Ubuntu system (a regular PC). I have compiz running. I have assigned switching among the three viewports to my mouse scroll wheel. Mouse is a Logitech Performance MX.
Whenever my mouse pointer is on the desktop proper, and the scroll wheel is activated, the desktop will scroll to the next viewport or previous viewport, depending on scroll direction.
The viewport scrolling this way worked beautifully for a long time.
In the further description, I will assume a scrolling to the previous viewport.

Since installing Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat last week however, many times when the scroll wheel is activated as described above, the change to the previous viewport will be initiated. I will see a certain percentage of the previous viewport appear on the left of the screen, say 10%. But then the scrolling will stop, and the whole desktop freezes for anywhere up to 6 seconds(!) in that semi-scrolled state (in-between viewports).
I can let go of the mouse, but after maybe 6 seconds, the scrolling will complete. During this freeze also the computer clock stops updating its display. The (kernel) clock proper probably keeps going, since after the freeze the time is correct, and I get no kernel messages (or any other logged messages for that matter, including ~/.xsession-errors).
The freeze does not happen always, it's hard to estimate a percentage, but let's say 5 times an hour on a continuously used system with regular viewport switching.

That's about it as far as the buggy behavior observed.
In nvidia-settings, I tried to fiddle with the powermizer setting (just a guess), but that didn't
matter.
If anybody has any pointers as to what might be happening here, or what I might try to change in my setup, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Bauke Jan Douma
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (68.2 KB, 60 views)
user_bjd is offline   Reply With Quote