Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-10, 04:46 PM   #25
wognvnews

Default Re: Freezes after upgrade from Fedora 10 to 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by peavey View Post
One last hint I discovered just before upgrading; the crashes are a lot harder to provoke into happening with the Composite extension Disabled and MSI on.
I am stuck using fedora 11 also. Fedora 12 and 13 both crash shortly after starting mythtv playback. I don't see anything interesing in X and system logs before or after crash / reset. After crash, screen and keyboard frozen, I can ping system, but can't ssh in.

Composite extenstion is disabled, and MB doesnt support MSI, ...using APIC.

Driver: 195.36.24 (have tried earlier drivers as well)
GPU: G98 based nvidia 8400GS
MB: ECS PT890T-A
CPU: Pentium-D 3.4G
DDR2: 2GB
wognvnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-10, 08:51 PM   #26
JBravo

I'm seeing this happen on my HP dc7700 box with a 8600GTS.
The dc7700 has:

Intel Q965 Express Chipset
Intel Core 2 Duo Dual Core Processor
2 full-height PCI, 1 full-height PCI Express x1, 1 full height PCI Express x16
JBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-10, 03:02 AM   #27
goldmember

I just replaced my mainboard MSI P35 Neo2-FR/FIR (Intel P35 chipset) with a Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3LR (Intel P45).

Before everything worked fine, now I get crashes just after a few seconds when I start GL-Apps like glxgears or even nvidia-settings. It is definately not hardware related, it works fine in Windows (I can play games for hours).
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-10, 06:41 AM   #28
goldmember

Nouveau without OpenGL-support works fine for me in Fedora 13 in everyday use. NVIDIA drivers are still completely unusable (crashes after a few secs of 3D).
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 09:28 PM   #29
cgwg

I am bumping this thread as a reminder that this problem hasn't gone away and that I haven't seen any acknowledgment from anyone at Nvidia that they are aware of this issue. Predictably, the bug filed with Fedora has been closed, with them passing the buck to Nvidia.

Personally, I have been running Fedora 12 with the last Fedora 11 kernel, and this combination has been perfectly stable. This is a poor solution, since Fedora 11 is no longer maintained.
cgwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-10, 12:44 PM   #30
barbara

I had a lot of troubles moving to F12 or greater (F13, F14alpha) with both nouveau and nvidia drivers and I also filed reports in bugzilla but still no luck.
The only solution for me is stick with nvidia drivers and add pcie_aspm=off to the kernel parameters in grub.conf. It's working perfectly since then.
This trick didn't help a lot of people still having problems, but maybe it's worth trying.
barbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-10, 02:43 PM   #31
vcato

Thank you! Adding pcie_aspm=off worked!

I had a hard system freeze after starting X with the proprietary drivers with Fedora 13. I had tried the 2.6.33 and 2.6.34 kernels. I had tried the 260, 259, and 175 series of drivers. I had tried various kernel command line parameters (I can't remember them all), I had upgraded the BIOS. The symptoms were always the same -- the monitor would go blank and the system would freeze hard. There would be no response from the keyboard, even Numlock. I couldn't ssh into or even ping the system. Hitting the reset switch was the only thing that would bring it back. But after adding pcie_aspm=off, the system no longer freezes. I still get no video with the 260.19.21 driver (256.53 works), but that is another issue.
vcato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-10, 04:37 AM   #32
TwinFinity

Big thanks to barbara,
pcie_aspm=off has worked for me too.
My machine was stable up to F11, after that the only way to prevent it crashing was to lock it at maximum performance.

I hadn't seen this kernel parameter referred to anywhere else and a quick googling doesn't convince me that it's widely known about. So additional thanks to vcato for bringing this thread back to the top where I finally saw this fix!

NVIDIA moderators/devs, should this be added to the "If you have a stability problem" sticky?
TwinFinity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-30-10, 10:12 AM   #33
sophana

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinFinity View Post
Big thanks to barbara,
pcie_aspm=off has worked for me too.
My machine was stable up to F11, after that the only way to prevent it crashing was to lock it at maximum performance.

I hadn't seen this kernel parameter referred to anywhere else and a quick googling doesn't convince me that it's widely known about. So additional thanks to vcato for bringing this thread back to the top where I finally saw this fix!

NVIDIA moderators/devs, should this be added to the "If you have a stability problem" sticky?
same for me!
It took me months to find a workaround for this VERY annoying bug (a freeze every 1 or 2 days). As my system is up 24/24, it is very hard to debug.
with pcie_aspm=off, my system is up since several weeks now.
Big thanks to barbara,

I also have a 8600gt with a core e5200 with an ich10 82801JI

Last edited by sophana; 12-30-10 at 10:15 AM. Reason: added pc config
sophana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-11, 11:07 PM   #34
wognvnews

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbara View Post
I had a lot of troubles moving to F12 or greater (F13, F14alpha) with both nouveau and nvidia drivers and I also filed reports in bugzilla but still no luck.
The only solution for me is stick with nvidia drivers and add pcie_aspm=off to the kernel parameters in grub.conf. It's working perfectly since then.
WOW! Thank you. Both my machines with 8400GS have been locking up on F12 or newer for a year. Adding pcie_aspm=off solved the problem. I saw this option on the fedora website http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/KernelCommonProblems some time ago but didn't think it had anything to do with Nvidia adapter. BUT IT WORKS!!!

This instruction needs moved up to STICKY at the top of this THREAD and FORUM.
wognvnews is offline   Reply With Quote