Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-10-11, 01:11 AM   #13
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: 570 GTX SLI Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Ever notice how 90% of the guys who say PhysX is a gimmick don't own a NVIDIA card?

Wonder if there's some correlation there?
Nope, I used to have an 8800GTX for physx. Then nvidia added DRM to their drivers so it wouldn't work in my system any more. So I just removed it because I only had like one game that used it so I figured theres no point in letting it sit there wasting power. Just gave it to my friend after that. lol
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 01:23 AM   #14
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
I had the same intermittent gaming problems with certain Nvidia cards over the years (see FX 5900 and 9800 GTX+). The HD 4870 and 5870 have been virtually problem free for all the games I've played, which extends all the way back to 2001.

I guess it's luck of the draw when it's all said and done.

EDIT: BTW, I know Rollo responded to this post. I can't see his posts.
Alot of problems can apparently be solved by going back to the 10.5 drivers. Unfortunately, my 6870s don't support them. That was the kicker I guess.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 01:34 AM   #15
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
Alot of problems can apparently be solved by going back to the 10.5 drivers. Unfortunately, my 6870s don't support them. That was the kicker I guess.
That's why I think it's fine that you got dual GTX 570's. For some reason, AMD's drivers are not very good for the HD 6 series. It's especially bad for some CrossfireX users at the moment. I hope they get their act together soon. Ever since I got my 5870, I've seen a 10-15% increase in performance over time as their drivers have gotten better. For example, when I got Dirt 2, I could run the game @ 1920x1200, 4xAA, ultra settings and I got an average of 50 FPS on virtually every track. Now, I can run 1920x1200, 8xAA, and ultra settings, and I can set the game to Vsync because the framerate will stay pegged @ 60 FPS. It is a phenomenal experience now that they've gotten their drivers fully optimized.

I just hope they're able to pull the same miracle with their newer cards, too. Regardless of what people say about AMD's drivers, they suck... until they get it right. When they get it right, boy do they get it right. On the good drivers, I've had far less problems than I did with either my 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX+ in both XP and W7. While Nvidia's drivers would crash/blue screen once a day, AMD's drivers have NEVER cause a BSOD on either XP or W7 since I've used them.

AMD knows how to write drivers. It's those few bad ones that makes people hate them. Of course, Nvidia isn't perfect either (like the original Far Cry on a Geforce FX card, or Nvidia's 196.75 driver that killed cards by bugging the fan controller profile) It truly is luck of the draw.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 01:54 AM   #16
Muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
That's why I think it's fine that you got dual GTX 570's. For some reason, AMD's drivers are not very good for the HD 6 series. It's especially bad for some CrossfireX users at the moment. I hope they get their act together soon. Ever since I got my 5870, I've seen a 10-15% increase in performance over time as their drivers have gotten better. For example, when I got Dirt 2, I could run the game @ 1920x1200, 4xAA, ultra settings and I got an average of 50 FPS on virtually every track. Now, I can run 1920x1200, 8xAA, and ultra settings, and I can set the game to Vsync because the framerate will stay pegged @ 60 FPS. It is a phenomenal experience now that they've gotten their drivers fully optimized.

I just hope they're able to pull the same miracle with their newer cards, too. Regardless of what people say about AMD's drivers, they suck... until they get it right. When they get it right, boy do they get it right. On the good drivers, I've had far less problems than I did with either my 8800 GTX or 9800 GTX+ in both XP and W7. While Nvidia's drivers would crash/blue screen once a day, AMD's drivers have NEVER cause a BSOD on either XP or W7 since I've used them.

AMD knows how to write drivers. It's those few bad ones that makes people hate them. Of course, Nvidia isn't perfect either (like the original Far Cry on a Geforce FX card, or Nvidia's 196.75 driver that killed cards by bugging the fan controller profile) It truly is luck of the draw.
I agree. As I have posted i thought the 263.09 Nvidia drivers were buggy. I also didn't like there performance that much. I had multiple "drive has stopped responding and recovered" I haven't had one of those in years before that. It used to be very common.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 08:22 AM   #17
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
And outside of Batman:AA name me some "must play" games where PhysX plays a role in the gaming experience.

It's a gimmick and I've never owned a single ATI card in my life.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cr...leep-of-reason

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mafia-ii

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/mirrors-edge

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/metro-2033

No problem. There are four PhysX games that critics and hundreds of users ranked as better than average games. I enjoyed all these games, and Batman AA. If I would have played them on an ATi card, they would have looked like they do on my son's consoles.

PhysX makes games look better, no matter what some would say. For example:

http://www.gamingheaven.com/gamingre...d=879&pageid=2

Quote:
The usual standard of Unreal 3 based visuals. Enhanced greatly by NVIDIA’s PhysX for those who have compatible hardware.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...m,2465-11.html

Quote:
However, when PhysX is enabled, it adds superlative nuances and really creates some “wow” moments. The chunky explosions, cloth effects, paper, fog, and environmental detail enhancements are very cool.
I could post links to more reviewers saying the PhysX effects make the games look better, but you get the point.

There may not be 100s of games with PhysX, but I have a dozen and enjoyed half of them.

ATi has been promising GPU accelerated physics and that they would "do it better" for over five years now and they have done exactly nothing. Not one game to show for their hollow promises because they are too poor to bring the ideas they follow NVIDIA on to market.
Yes, NVIDIA accelerated Havok first back in the day.

You guys can apologize for ATi all you want, but at the end of the day, they don't deliver. They would give their proverbial "left nut" to have their marketing be able to say they have a dozen hardware physics games out, but all they can do is yell about open standards and complain that Intel and NVIDIA locked them out. ATi considered buying Havok and PhysX as well, and was either outbid or didn't come to the table. They hoped Intel would let them use Havok for free instead.

Sort of like they hope others will help them with 3d, and look at the mess that turned out to be. Only on TVs in North America, and 24fps limits at 1080p.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 08:29 AM   #18
Revs

PhysX adds something worth having in Metro and B:AA, but with Mirrors Edge and others I've played it's a bit meh. GenL still working sweet here
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 12:12 PM   #19
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Here's a spanner in the works.

Both cards and screen flickering on and off with a nlvkdmwtf error. Format PC, same prob in SLI or or single. One theory is that this particular card has tendency to sit higher in slots so the outer edge of the DVI cable touches the case causing this issue.

Both sent back. Two EVGA 570 SC ordered. If these don't work I'm taking up heroin and anarchy.
Old 02-10-11, 01:22 PM   #20
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:

Both cards and screen flickering on and off with a nlvkdmwtf error. Format PC, same prob in SLI or or single. One theory is that this particular card has tendency to sit higher in slots so the outer edge of the DVI cable touches the case causing this issue.

Both sent back. Two EVGA 570 SC ordered. If these don't work I'm taking up heroin and anarchy.
Man, your luck with GPU's suck.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-11, 01:48 PM   #21
Maverick123w

Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
What he said
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 01:57 PM   #22
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
PhysX adds something worth having in Metro and B:AA, but with Mirrors Edge and others I've played it's a bit meh. GenL still working sweet here
And this is the point I am trying to make.

I'm not saying that PhysX, 3DVision Surround, 3d Vision or forcing ambient occlusion work perfectly in every game, or even most games. It's all over the board how much they add to the experience, and even that will be subjective to the player.

For you, Batman AA and Metro 2033 were improved by PhysX, and maybe a game or two released this year will be as well.

I played Mafia 2 all the way through in 3d Vision Surround with PhysX on.

My son loves Mirrors Edge and might like it less without the glass and cloth effects.

What we all have in common is using these features was possible because NVIDIA brought them to games for their customers. Our experinence wouldn't have been as good playing the games on ATi cards.

As the NVIDIA cards offer comparable performance at comparable prices, why would anyone lock themselves out of features that you can find people saying all over the net they like?

What does ATi offer you in return for locking yourself out of all the NVIDIA features that you can't get on ATi cards?

Single GPU EyeFinity? Hate to break it to you all, but I've been doing some 1080P surround gaming with two 2GB GTX560s, and I can tell you going down the power ladder wasn't what I would hope for. The two 560s are a lot more powerful than a 6970, and I found I had to make choices at times on whether I could run AA or not, or 3d, depending on the game.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/N...Ti_SLI/23.html

In a nutshell, I'd say the 560s at 1080P surround surprised me at how much they could do, but I was never thinking "Man these things are so powerful you could probably run a 20+ % slower 6970 and be just as happy!". Eyefinity/Surround take some serious graphics power, I think that single GPU Eyefinity is a myth except for 2d desktop IMO.

When you take that out of the equation, what does ATi have left to offer gamers as a reason to buy their parts over NVIDIA's? Pipedreams of OpenCL physics to come? High school science project 3d gaming? Blur-o-Vision MLAA?

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:01 PM   #23
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:

Dude... that just blows.

Is it possible that other components may be your issue? faulty RAM? CPU? Bad motherboard? The GPU isn't the only component in your computer that could go bad. I've had 2 sets of ram go bad in the last 8 months, and that caused everything from game freezing to an unstable desktop that would crash every couple minutes. It's only once I got some RAM that was rated for higher voltage (1.6V) that I finally stopped killing memory. In this case, it was a motherboard issue because I couldn't set the memory voltage below 1.6V, and the memory was rated for 1.5V.

Anyway, hope you get it figured out bud. Having to change out hardware constantly really sucks.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 02:53 AM   #24
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Tell me about it. Very gentle with this kit, format between installs to make sure and just no luck at all.

The strange thing is, one of the boxes had been opened. The card itself was sealed but soon as I took it out the anti static wrapper you could see a clear dent on the top. Alarm bells right away.

Changed supplier now, gone for EVGA Superclocked Editions. See how I get on with those.

Tbh, if you look at the clocks on those Palit SPs, seems almighty beefy considering they were cheaper than most reference cards. I should have known.