Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-10-11, 08:51 AM   #25
Destroy

Default Re: Official Test Drive Unlimited 2 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Definitely wait for some patches. It's not worth buying as it is now.
I don't think patches will correct this game. Seems like most complaints are talking about some major vehicle behavior, physics and control changes needing made.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 02:32 PM   #26
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXThReAT View Post
So I have given this game almost two days of game play about 6 hours or more. I enjoyed the first Test Drive quite a bit and I had high hopes for TDU2. I was in the beta so my hopes had already been crushed. I gave my feedback as did many others and it seems they didn't want to change much at all.

I wanted to go into the game with a clear mind, like I had never played a driving game before. It didn't help. Is it better than the beta, a little. I guess first the good. It's TDU2 and the island is huge. Racing online is pretty much flawless so far. Havenít seen a lot of people but the social aspect of the game isnít as bad as you think. The cars look pretty nice. 2048x1536 4xaa 16af and I'm pretty much the same as JohnDio, 45fps. That's about it the rest is all bad.

The sounds of the cars are just horrible, electric lawn mowers sound better. I would rather have someone behind me making engine and shifting noises than listen to these cars. This game has no bass, zero. Inside or outside of the car they all sound like utter crap. Itís so bad it makes me think there is an audio engine issue with the game but I was in the beta and I know there is not. They meant for the game to sound this way. Itís bad.

I always use my G25 and I had the game set on hardcore most of the time. FFB works and it feels okay, it doesn't really bother me. What does bother me is the huge dead zone and general lack of the feeling that youíre driving a car. Handling is abysmal. I don't know how they did it but they made my wheel drive like a gamepad. Settings are pretty much useless. Turning and breaking feel very off, itís hard to judge turn entry speed. Cars slow down way too fast itís very unrealistic. The physics and turning just feel bad. Worse than TDU1.

I like driving using the in car view. BTW no support for TrackIR this time around either. They've added an annoying look to turn feature that youíre unable to turn off. For me it results in a feeling of gliding around inside the car as I try to swerve in and out of traffic and around turns. It completely throws off the feeling of turning the car. I don't know why they even have side or rear view mirrors you can't see any of them and there is no way to adjust seat position but you can turn on your blinkers and be one of those idiots that leave it on.

I havenít done much MP but SP racing thus far has been boring, easy and boring. I don't think I ever selected a difficulty level and there is no setting in the menu. At one point I ended up on a dirt road in a Lotus and I found the car could not go over 60mph and if I shifted to third I would start slowing down. With the car rolling on a paved road 1-3mph first gear, letting the clutch out results in a stall. It's very hard to do a normal start, it's a pain. Going automatic just makes the game even more boring. No ignition button like in TDU1 you just push the gas to start the car.

Graphics are decent at best, mostly very bla there are some areas that look nice but they are too few and far between. Rain and night driving is kind of cool and the wet pavement looks good. I canít say the textures are bad some look pretty good. Roads trees dirt grass rocks all look good. Itís just a general lack of color and I would say you can't see more than a few hundred feet up the road at any given time. Seeing textures and trees draw in is very distracting. The actual draw distance is very short and they seem to have setup every road to limit the view as much as possible but you still see trees and buildings being awkwardly drawn in. At one point the game exploded into triangle artifacts.

Is it fun...yes, kind of, not really, no. Do I plan on playing more...yes this thing was $40 bucks and I'm going to pray for patches but I'm afraid there is just too much to fix. Overall Iím being hard on the game but I expected better and feel I'm being honest. Looking around the TDU2 forums I'm not alone, pretty much everyone hates it, some demanding refunds.

Did you try turning down the deadzone in the controls settings? By default the deadzone setting is at 50% (whatever that means).
bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 05:06 PM   #27
sammy sung

This is so horrible,it's just so much worse than the first one. I just cannot fathom how they could make such a complete mess out of this. The graphics are bad, the engine sounds are awful and compared to other racing games released over the last 2 years it just looks old/subpar. The first game looks better imo, sounds better and handles much better.

If i could i would ask steam for a refund, just disappointing. I really wanted to like this game but i just can't bring myself to do that.

These are from the first game:

Old 02-10-11, 08:29 PM   #28
MowTin

I thought maybe I had false memories of the original game looking better, but you're right it did look better. It would also run better than this thing. I can't understand why it runs so badly for a game that looks no better than a 4 year old game.

One improvement is that at least you can walk around your car in the garage.
Also, I like the weather and day / night cycle. '
I like that you can play as a cop (haven't tried it yet).

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 08:37 PM   #29
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Looking at the screen caps from sammy sung..does this game of DOF? looks like and that maybe the reason why things are...not so optimal?
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 12:03 AM   #30
technoid

I really wanted this game to be good, but it's the pits. Just close the thread, the game isn't worth a thread.
Old 02-11-11, 12:04 AM   #31
Greedo

good memories there! test drive 3 was a revelation... "3D" graphics, weather, off-road driving, multiple routes, radio, replay...

Greedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 12:46 AM   #32
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I really wanted this game to be good, but it's the pits. Just close the thread, the game isn't worth a thread.
LOL +1 as much as I want to pretend this isn't true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-11, 01:48 AM   #33
MowTin

Wait.

I enjoyed myself playing this game tonight.

1. I accepted that it is arcade car handling.
2. I've got my dfp wheel setup properly (360 degrees profiler).
3. I've learned to brake hard at corners and throw the car into the corner.

After the dirt driving school the feeling of the range rover in that license test was so awful I was ready to give up on this game. But after the driving school I was driving to a destination on my gps. GPS took me through a long dirt road. It was night...it started raining...there was thunder. Driving down that dirt road at night during a thunderstorm was fun.

Also, it does provide the one bit of fun that the original TDU offered. Driving in traffic. Passing cars by driving on the wrong side of the road and barely avoiding an oncoming car. Especially fun at night when you see headlights coming at you.

I'm actually looking forward to playing this again tomorrow.

Your mileage may vary. I have a high tolerance for bad games

Oh, be sure to keep your car clean

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-11, 01:57 AM   #34
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

It sadens me to hear that the game isn't anything good. I had high hopes for this, but it just looks so dull and beta-stage'ish
Old 02-11-11, 02:41 AM   #35
sammy sung

Looks like they just ported the 360 version without any gfx improvements apart from the higher res and 4 x aa. The texturing, detail , af and overall graphical fidelity etc is vastly superior in TDU. People keep saying wait for a patch but in all honesty i think the fundamentals of this game is so out of wack that no patch can help it, they would have to make a new version from the ground up and make it more like pc version of TDU to improve things.
Old 02-11-11, 08:29 AM   #36
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
I thought maybe I had false memories of the original game looking better, but you're right it did look better. It would also run better than this thing. I can't understand why it runs so badly for a game that looks no better than a 4 year old game.

One improvement is that at least you can walk around your car in the garage.
Also, I like the weather and day / night cycle. '
I like that you can play as a cop (haven't tried it yet).
The lack of motion blur definitely makes the game look worse in screenshots. In motion I'm not sure if the difference is that big, but still, they probably should have left motion blur in.

I think the biggest problems people are having are with the stupid cutscenes that aren't skippable and the controls. I'm guessing as you get further in the game, the less of those stupid cutscenes pop up. In terms of the controls, you guys really need to play around with it. It does make a difference and it is possible to dial it into something that feels right IMO. While on a controller and keyboard TDU1's default controls were great, on the MS Racing wheel it was awful because there wasn't enough precision and I had to spend a long time tweaking the controls to be right.

It also sucks that they removed a lot of the customization, like the ability to change your ****pit view angle.

If they are smart, they will be able to patch most of these problems easily.
bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote