Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-12-11, 03:55 AM   #1
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Default 3D Vision kit ordered

Just ordered an nVidia 3D Vision kit, I couldn't resist.

Got the graphics cards, got the monitor, so it just had to be done.

Anyone here got any pointers? Seems to be a common theme to use little or no AA in games with it on. Is that because you no longer notice jaggies, or just that the performance hit is too great?

And i'm confused about this 3D TV Play thing. Is that just the new name for it? 3D Vision works the same?
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 04:16 AM   #2
Rummy

Default Re: 3D Vision kit ordered

Talk to Grey_1 he's dabbled a bit in the 3d realm.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 07:47 AM   #3
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
Just ordered an nVidia 3D Vision kit, I couldn't resist.

Got the graphics cards, got the monitor, so it just had to be done.

Anyone here got any pointers? Seems to be a common theme to use little or no AA in games with it on. Is that because you no longer notice jaggies, or just that the performance hit is too great?

And i'm confused about this 3D TV Play thing. Is that just the new name for it? 3D Vision works the same?
I've been using 3d Vision and 3d Vision Surround since launch, can give you my opinions.

The AA thing is for both reasons, the blending of the two rendered images does have a "pseudo AA" effect. 3d Vision cuts framerates in half, so depending on the game, you may not want to cut it further.

3D TV Play is for HDMI 1.4 TVs, 3d Vision is for dual link dvi displays like the 120HZ monitors, DLP tvs with a 3d chip, and some projectors.

3D TV Play displays:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-pl...nts.html#3dtvs

3d Vision Displays:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-visi...uirements.html

My last comments would be that the list of supported games is not all inclusive, I've played games in 3d that weren't on it before. Aslo you might want to try games that aren't in the excellent category, because they may have flaws in some areas of the game, but work great in the rest. (e.g. in Unreal 2 there are a few spots with light poles and railings that get rendered in total double vision, but 99% of the game looks great)

I like re-playing old games in 3d and seeing them in a new way.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 07:48 AM   #4
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Had much luck getting Dead Space 2 to work in 3D? Can imagine that would be quite incredible.
Old 02-12-11, 08:27 AM   #5
Rollo

Quote:
Had much luck getting Dead Space 2 to work in 3D? Can imagine that would be quite incredible.
I've never tried it to be honest. I have that game though, so I suppose I could. I never really played that one, which is odd as that is my favorite type of game and that one is supposed to be good.

I only used to for benchmarking the Christmas season it came out, then forgot about it.

The last game I played was Mafia2, played whole game in 3d Vision Surround. I've been playing Just Cause 2, UT2004, and HL2 in 3d Vision Surround lately.

I just bought Dead Rising 2 as I saw it was 3d Optimized, but haven't played much because a. stretches big time in surround b. surround slows response enough it makes it hard to break zombie's grip with that LRLRLRLRLRLRL tapping nonsense.

Maybe I'll look into ways around these maybe not. My son thinks the game is hilarious and plays in 2d at 19X10 where it's VERY responsive at 120Hz on my GTX480 SLi rig.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 02-12-11, 09:05 AM   #6
Talon

I read somewhere that you need to turn Shadows off for DS2 to work in 3D which is like...umm...what is the point of playing that game without shadows really?

Quote:
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-11, 09:51 AM   #7
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
I read somewhere that you need to turn Shadows off for DS2 to work in 3D which is like...umm...what is the point of playing that game without shadows really?
I'd have to play it both ways to answer, and I've never played the game.

I can say that real 3d adds more immersion than any AA, light effect, or shadow ever could, so on the games the drivers state I need to turn off an effect, I do so without a thought.

Playing in 3d makes your monitor a window- you're looking at what appears to be a scene of action figures. When you play on normal monitors, it's like watching tv- pictures of action figures. That's the best way I can explain it.

Rig 2:

Old 02-12-11, 10:01 AM   #8
Talon

I'm on the fence about it. I think I just really need to experience it first-hand. On a 3D TV or monitor. I'm worried that the ghosting/crosstalk that people report will drive me nuts. Always thinking I should wait until the tech matures a bit more.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-11, 10:34 AM   #9
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
I'm on the fence about it. I think I just really need to experience it first-hand. On a 3D TV or monitor. I'm worried that the ghosting/crosstalk that people report will drive me nuts. Always thinking I should wait until the tech matures a bit more.
It only really occurred to me this morning that I already have the rest of the kit and in not doing so it's a wasted chance. Let you know what I think prob Tuesday.

Got Mafia 2, Dead Rising 2, HAWX 2 and Batman installed ready to run at it.
Old 02-12-11, 11:52 AM   #10
Rollo

Dead Space turns out to be a good example of the nature of this tech.

It's not listed at all on the 3d Vision Surround compatible list, yet I just downloaded it straight from EA and switched it to 5760X1080 @ 120Hz in the Visual options.

It says it's "Fair" due to 3d placement issues in the 3d Drivers, but other than a little ghosting around the two characters standing in front of the window with the sun behind it on the way in, it seemed pretty flawless to me. (granted I've only played to where you run in the lab, so I'll report more later)
Note: this is often the case with the ghosting on non 3d Vision enhanced games- you notice it most on dark objects silhouetted against bright backgrounds. You can reduce this by lowering the amount of depth.

And that's the way it goes with this stuff- sometimes the stuff you wouldn't think is supported ends up working pretty well. Sometimes it won't work at all. Always a bonus to come up with a new one.

This game isn't listed as Eyefinity compatible either, but I bet it is.

Rig 2:

Old 02-12-11, 12:28 PM   #11
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist

How do you find getting use to the depth? Do you usually just ramp it up and force your eyes into it? lol Or have it low, and increase slowly during gameplay?
Old 02-13-11, 08:20 AM   #12
Rollo

Quote:
How do you find getting use to the depth? Do you usually just ramp it up and force your eyes into it? lol Or have it low, and increase slowly during gameplay?
I usually leave the depth at default or close to it, and don't increase it during gameplay. My eyes don't have to adjust, I have no eyestrain, and I don't have to play around with it.

EDIT:
I should note I'm playing DeadSpace in Surround only, turned off the 3d after seeing things like shadows above the objects that cast them. NVIDIA's 3d guru warned me of issues with that one as well, so I wouldn't plan on the flawless 3d experience with that one.

Rig 2: