Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-13-11, 11:52 AM   #13
Bman212121
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 6,726
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
I ****ing hate my PS3. Mainly for the update system. The updates take significantly longer than on the 360 - both downloading and installing. And if you don't use your PS3 every day, it seems like you have to wait every time before you play the thing.

Also, it seems their updates like to break random stuff, too. I've been playing Ratchet & Clank Tools... on and off for two years. Never get into before I turn it off. I've been trying to get through it the last few weeks though, and after the last update I get random full system lockups when loading stages.

Thanks, Sony.
You might want to check and see if it's doing it with other games. Might be a hardware issue.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 06:55 PM   #14
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith
 
tornadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,446
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

its sony's console, they can do whatever bloody hell they feel like, if it is to protect their assets!!
__________________
i7 950 @ 4.2Ghz w/ Venomous-X, Asus Sabertooth x58, 8gb DDR3 GSkill 1600Mhz,MSI N670 PE, Win 7 Ult. x64, Samsung PN50C7000, Pioneer VSX 920-K, Polk Monitor 5.0 Speakers, Bic H100 Sub
tornadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 06:58 PM   #15
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
its sony's console, they can do whatever bloody hell they feel like, if it is to protect their assets!!
No, actually its not sonys console. Its hardware, its whoever buys its console, its not a rental.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 08:07 PM   #16
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default

You go on PSN, then you are subject to Sony's policies and they can do whatever they want. However, it's the consumer's hardware and Sony has no right to tamper with it outside of their network.

When you buy hardware, you buy a physical device and I don't think they should be able to tell you what to do with that hardware. But buying software is buying a license and then you are subject to the developer's terms. I know some will disagree with that viewpoint, but that's always been the way I have interpreted buying hardware and software.

However, what matters is how the law interprets it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-11, 11:38 PM   #17
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith
 
tornadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,446
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
No, actually its not sonys console. Its hardware, its whoever buys its console, its not a rental.
sure but its the software they are targetting. I dont think they are doing anything to change the hardware that you "own".
__________________
i7 950 @ 4.2Ghz w/ Venomous-X, Asus Sabertooth x58, 8gb DDR3 GSkill 1600Mhz,MSI N670 PE, Win 7 Ult. x64, Samsung PN50C7000, Pioneer VSX 920-K, Polk Monitor 5.0 Speakers, Bic H100 Sub
tornadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 10:21 AM   #18
Ninja Prime
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,263
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
sure but its the software they are targetting. I dont think they are doing anything to change the hardware that you "own".
Installing a rootkit in the firmware is most certainly a change to hardware, but you agree to it when you get on PSN and agree to the TOS.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 10:47 AM   #19
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Installing a rootkit in the firmware is most certainly a change to hardware, but you agree to it when you get on PSN and agree to the TOS.
Yes and no I guess. The hardware isn't physically changed but since the firmware essentially determines how the hardware can be accessed, it is changing it to a degree.

Your point is what I was trying to say, though. On PSN, Sony has free reign, much like MS on XBL. But offline, they should not be controlling how you use your hardware. Software purchases are licenses, hardware purchases are physical ownership. The user should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want to to that hardware.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-11, 11:12 AM   #20
Q
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,808
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
You might want to check and see if it's doing it with other games. Might be a hardware issue.
It only did it with Ratchet and Clank twice during loading scenes after the update. LBP2 and GT5 seem to be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
I don't have a problem with updates. Not sure why everybody else does :\.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
Or maybe they need to check their connections. Or maybe don't rush to download the update the instant it is out. But I rarely have to worry about it anymore since it downloads them for me, since I am on PS+.
PS+ makes a big difference, I'd imagine, since it downloads everything at night for you.

Also, I rarely download the update the instance it is out. Actually, I have no idea. I use the PS3 about once every 3-4 weeks usually and don't pay attention to the update schedule.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-11, 12:25 AM   #21
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Installing patches on the ps3 are always take longer than on the 360, as a result I've gotten into the habit of turning on my ps3 15min or so before I play.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 09:59 AM   #22
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Yes and no I guess. The hardware isn't physically changed but since the firmware essentially determines how the hardware can be accessed, it is changing it to a degree.

Your point is what I was trying to say, though. On PSN, Sony has free reign, much like MS on XBL. But offline, they should not be controlling how you use your hardware. Software purchases are licenses, hardware purchases are physical ownership. The user should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want to to that hardware.
Agreed so what Sony should do is if they know someone is running a hacked unit is remove the OS and all the software from the PS3. Just erase the bios... no hardware is modified, they just lose all software rights, no games, no bluray, no PS3 OS.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 12:26 PM   #23
LurkerLito
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,550
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Agreed so what Sony should do is if they know someone is running a hacked unit is remove the OS and all the software from the PS3. Just erase the bios... no hardware is modified, they just lose all software rights, no games, no bluray, no PS3 OS.
They can't do it. Because technically them deleting the software could be considered the same as them modifying the hardware. Since you own the hardware they cannot forcibly break it by removing the software that is stored on your equipment. Software is based on "License to use". They can terminate the license to use so by using the software you were committing copyright infringement, but terminating your right to use the software does not mean they are given the right to remove the software from your hardware.
__________________

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 01:02 PM   #24
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: PS3 firmware 3.56 allegedly includes rootkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
They can't do it. Because technically them deleting the software could be considered the same as them modifying the hardware. Since you own the hardware they cannot forcibly break it by removing the software that is stored on your equipment. Software is based on "License to use". They can terminate the license to use so by using the software you were committing copyright infringement, but terminating your right to use the software does not mean they are given the right to remove the software from your hardware.
No removing software would not be in violation. Like you stated they can revoke the license to use that software, which they can do by locking it or removing it. It's no different with Windows Validation system that can stop windows from operating at its full capabilities or randomly reboot.

Sony can argue that your license extends to the OS so disabling it to violators is there right. They are not stopping users from using the "hardware"... since thats something physical... they can make it still boot and just display a message that access to the PS3 OS has been revoked.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.