Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-10-03, 11:11 PM   #61
GaBMaTrIx

Send a message via ICQ to GaBMaTrIx

Hi guys,

Just to let you know that after having the same issues, I solved the problem with the following line in XFree86Config (Under Device section)

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"

I took it from this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=14930

Hope it gets along with your setup...
GaBMaTrIx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-03, 12:22 AM   #62
wobo

I read all messages of this thread and unfortunately none of the posted advices worked for me. Funny thing is: I have 2 systems here and it works on one and doesn't on the other.

1. Gericom laptop with nvidia 440Go
Screen is 1400x1050. Runs fine with the normal generic GeForce4 driver but no 3D then. I installed the current nvidia driver and Tux is racing down the slopes. But switchint to a VT is a no-go. Blank screen.

2. I have a desktop with a GeForce4 440 MX. The monitor is a 17" TFT. I have no problems there with switchin to VT and back.

Botth systems use the same distribution version (Mandrake 9.2 RC2), both systems use the same lilo entrances for 'vga=...', both systems use the same nvidia driver.

Then only differences are the graphics chip (G4 MX 440 and G4 Go) and the screen (1400x1050 and 1280x1024).

The one with the MX 440 and the lower resolution shows console mode when switching back from X, the other doesn't.

wobo
wobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 09:22 PM   #63
ribx

Default try to anser some questions

hi,
i had installed a very good working system on mz pc 2 weeks ago. then i insert a new grafic card - i changed my old kyro to an "new" gf4mx440, because of the tv out. maybe this was may first fault.

i am sure that my gentoo system worked without problems but after the install of the mx440 the text console resolution could not be higher than 720xXXX.

but i want a resolution ot at least 1024x768. of cause i try things like setting vga=791 and so on (and also an good trick here is to set vga=ask. this causes an dialog on bootup where you can set your text console resolution - i used lilo)

my x works fine with the drivers (dont know the version - just emerged them :P ) and i tried rivafb (which was a fault, this is only for riva 128 - see above) and vesa frame buffer - both does not work.
maybe it is an problem with BIOS of the mx440, because normaly lilo reads out resolution from the BIOS (set vga=ask and then at the bootup, when the dialog appears try "scan"). and this bios _MAYBE_ want to use resolutions, which can be also displayed by a TV (because there the highest resolution is 720xXXX if i can remeber correctly)

all in all i can say: try to compile your kernel with the vesa framebuffer and enable the ability to change screen resolution.
most of you just want to use x: for me you can disable framebuffer and screen resolution for consol. this is the savest way .. in my opinion

good luck

p.s.: if your x server completely doesnt work: did you ever tried to use xf86cfg?? (this is not the same as xf86config)
ribx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-03, 10:49 AM   #64
jmboris

Default thank you man !!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by GaBMaTrIx
Hi guys,

Just to let you know that after having the same issues, I solved the problem with the following line in XFree86Config (Under Device section)

Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"

I took it from this thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=14930

Hope it gets along with your setup...
it works perfect!!!!!!!
thanks man!!!!!!!!!
jmboris is offline   Reply With Quote