Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-16-11, 06:01 AM   #1
ambro887

Default How to set minimum PowerMizer level to keep the desktop responsive?

Hi. I have an Asus N53J laptop with GeForce GT 425M. I noticed that sometimes the desktop is jerky because the graphics card is in the minimum performance level. For example, scrolling a web page in Chromium or moving windows around (in KDE) is slow. It takes about two seconds for the card to switch to the medium performance level, which is sufficient for desktop work. Then, after a few seconds of inactivity, the card goes back, and the next thing I do will be slow, again. As a result, the whole desktop feels jerky and unreponsive.

I would like the card never to switch to the minimum performance level, but switch freely between the medium and maximum levels (in order to keep the heat and power usage down). I've tried several PowerMizer options, (PowerMizerDefault, PowerMizerLevel, PowerMizerHardLevel), but they all appear to do the same, that is set the maximum level. But I'd like to set the minimum level.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (65.7 KB, 75 views)
ambro887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 09:10 AM   #2
jpterj

Default Re: How to set minimum PowerMizer level to keep the desktop responsive?

This is working for me for setting it to performance mode on an ION MythTV frontend:
/usr/bin/nvidia-settings -a [gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode=1

This is also available in the nvidia-settings app. There are also other modes that may suite you better.
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 09:19 AM   #3
ambro887

Thank you, but this forces the maximum performance level. I would much rather see if the card switch to the medium level (but not the minimum one).
ambro887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-11, 03:34 AM   #4
szwagros

I have the same problem with GTX460. There are now 4 threads on this forum about it but no one came with idea how to resolve this. What I did may sound stupid but it works for me.
I've setup cronjob that every minute start glxinfo which for some reason sets maximum perf. mode and it take about 1 minute to go back to level 0. I know that this is not a perfect solution but since there are no other options ...
szwagros is offline   Reply With Quote