Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-27-11, 05:47 AM   #13
Harkonnen

Default Re: GTX460 crashes/hangs Xorg

A little update on my situation. I was using my old 9600gt for the last 3 month, but upgaded motheboard a couple of days ago and decided to give 460 a try again, and got interesting results. First, no "NVRM: os_pci_init_handle: invalid context!" and no problems with ctrl-alt-Fx. Same kernel/driver/xorg, only mobo is different. Unfortunately, now i am getting random dead freezes, very similar to what other people reported in that thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=158172 . It's really a dead freeze, so no bug-report, system just freezes complete with no response to anything and there nothing at all in logfiles after reboot. Again, as with old mobo, no problems in windows, and no problems in linux with 9800gt.

I am inclined to the idea that there are some video cards bioses out there that are somehow incompatible with linux driver...

I will try to exchange asus for 460gtx from another manufacturer and report back.
Harkonnen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-11, 06:14 PM   #14
Harkonnen

Ok, i finally managed to exchange asus on gigabyte today, and now running without problems

So this confirms that asus gtx460 are incompatible with linux drivers at least on some motherboards...
Old 02-19-11, 05:38 PM   #15
drhirsch

This confirms nothing.

Your ASUS may just have been faulty hardware. Because you kept getting errors with this card even with different motherboards, most likely this may have been in fact the problem.
drhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-11, 08:44 PM   #16
Harkonnen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhirsch View Post
This confirms nothing.

Your ASUS may just have been faulty hardware. Because you kept getting errors with this card even with different motherboards, most likely this may have been in fact the problem.
Have you actually read my report? ASUS worked in Windows, both 7 and xp, without any problems. Works in windows, dosnt works in Linux = incompatible with linux driver.
Old 02-20-11, 05:09 AM   #17
drhirsch

I admit, I didn't read your last half sentence in the OP.

This is a very strange behavior of your card. Maybe some esoteric pci timings are wrong, ASUS has had some crappy biosses before sometimes. Only in the gfx cards, the motherboards are quite good ;-)

Anyway, without more data points this is just speculation.
drhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote