Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-20-11, 04:44 PM   #1
theapodan

Default Mouse Cursor Size >40 causes graphical corruption of mouse cursor + trails

I have this problem that may be a bug:

When my mouse cursor size is greater than 40 (I have bad vision and use 48 most of the time), and while using compiz, when dragging windows the mouse cursor is surrounded by a square of of garbage and leaves trails, and the cursor glitches and/or disappears when it mouseovers links in a webpage:
Example of glitching and trails.

Reducing mouse cursor size to 40 or below fixes the problem.

Here's my Xorg.0.log:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=QBruXJ11

Here's my nvidia-bug-report.sh output:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=R0JcbQBC

Brief overview of the computer:
AMD Phenom II x3
Geforce GTS 250 512 MB
Arch x86-64, up to date with nvidia-260.19.36-2
Launching compiz from fusion-icon

It looks like maybe there is a maximum size for mouse cursors in the nvidia driver, or maybe the hardware mouse cursor buffer is too small for larger cursors.

Is there some setting that will fix this problem, or is this a bug I should report?

Thanks,

Robert
theapodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 12:46 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Mouse Cursor Size >40 causes graphical corruption of mouse cursor + trails

This sounds like what happens when the X server falls back to software cursors on top of an OpenGL client like compiz. However, the maximum hardware cursor size is 64x64, not 40x40 so it's surprising to me that it's falling back for that size cursor. Can you please provide instructions on how to download and install the specific cursor theme you're using?
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 10:00 AM   #3
theapodan

Default Re: Mouse Cursor Size >40 causes graphical corruption of mouse cursor + trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
Can you please provide instructions on how to download and install the specific cursor theme you're using?
Sure, it is part of this package - xcursor-themes that can be downloaded here.

The particular theme I use is redglass, but it happens with whiteglass as well.

To install this I'd suggest using the package management tools with your distribution, since most (at least debian, arch, and ubuntu) include this package: xcursor-themes

If you distrubtion doesn't have such a package though, you could use this command with the Arch package above, although I don't know if the Arch filesystem hierarchy is similar to whatever distribution you use and therefore it may not untar the files in the locations that your distribution expects them:
sudo tar -xvpf /path/to/xcursor-themes-1.0.2-1-any.pkg.tar.gz -C / --exclude .PKGINFO

Thanks,

Robert.
theapodan is offline   Reply With Quote