Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-10, 09:02 PM   #13
xps8700

Default Re: Problems getting GeForce 8700GT to work under linux

Nappers, I guess you're not the only one... I NEVER noticed that this machine had a 64bit cpu.... I ve been using it for 2 years and did not know...

I would be willing to migrate to 64bit but I fear massive problems... seems a lot of work for just a driver...

that must be the 2.6.33.4 kernel.... I had slackware 12,2 with its stock kernel (I dont remember which version) just last year and it worked perfectly.... whats going on with the new kernels? IRQ conflicts are not probable (IMO) and BIOS settings are simply non-existent... They cat be wrong.

with slack 13.1, it happens with all drivers so far. I tried 190.53. 256.??, 260.?? and some of them in between.. lots of fun (when I get a black screen or have X crash...)

I wonder if Nvidia will look at this thread because I think we need their input as well.. it seems pretty serious to me..
xps8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-10, 10:57 PM   #14
conky

Did you read the known issues page that was linked, specifically, the section on vmalloc? It's a known problem that nvidia can't work around. Since 32-bit CPUs only have 4GiB of address space, the kernel has to make a decision on how to divide it. It does a 3GiB/1GiB split by default, with 3GiB for userspace, and 1GiB for the kernel. Within the 1 GiB kernel space, it allocates a section for direct mapping system memory and devices. By default, this is 128MiB. Did you upgrade your memory at any more or add any devices to the laptop? This could have pushed it over exhaustion. There are two solutions for fixing this: 1. upgrade to 64-bit, or 2. increase the amount reserved by the kernel by passing ex. vmalloc=192MB to the kernel in grub. The linked article explains how to do this.
conky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 06:46 AM   #15
Nappers

The solutions referred to by conky appear to be your best option and I'm going to try installing a 64-bit kernel in the near future, however I'd like to point out that I've been running various 32-bit kernels and nVidia driver versions without fiddling with the vmalloc kernel parameter and I've not had this problem. I do have High Memory Support set to 64GB and PAE enabled in my kernels though (if that makes any difference) so that I can use all 4GB of my RAM.

I mentioned IRQs before because when I was using the nVidia installer instead of the Debian packages, I had to use some of the pci=noacpi, pci=biosirq, noapic and acpi=off options to get the cards to work. I don't remember which of these I used, but I do recall that it seemed to change with driver versions...
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-10, 07:37 AM   #16
Nappers

As a follow-up, I've switched to 64-bit Debian (it was relatively painless) and am now running a 2.6.35.5 custom kernel with the 195.36.31 nVidia drivers (currently in Debian/unstable, I see 256.53 is just entering experimental now...). As an added bonus, I can now enable the "Allow Flipping" option without getting the epileptic fit inducing flickering I reported in the other thread and am getting nice frame rates :-).
Nappers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 07:19 PM   #17
xps8700

Yeah long time no talk here, but just for the sake of documenting the issue, I finally managed to get all working fine on this Dell XPS laptop. The videocards were fried, they replaced it.

I also reinstalled the OS from scratch with the latest nvidia driver (260.19.29) and I now have SLI!!

All is finally working fine!

Thanks to all!
xps8700 is offline   Reply With Quote