Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-23-11, 09:20 AM   #1
OliW

Default Xorg hangs with GTX580

I've been trying to get the most out of my new GTX580 but I keep banging into walls. When I play something for more than a few minutes, it starts to lock up. I mostly experience this with Wine but today I've started having issues with Minecraft too.

The system is a i7 920 on a X58 chipset with a Nvidia GTX 580.

I've tried both version 260.19.36 and 270.26 of the driver. Without any empirical data to back it up, 260.* seems slightly worse than 270.*. It crashes harder and longer. 270.26 wakes up after a minute but 260 keeps dipping back into a nasty locked up state.

I ran X with -logverbose 6 today to generate some logs when the problem is happening. I've attached the latest which was after about five minutes of minecraft. Taken mid-lockup.

I've seen other posts going on about /proc/mtrr and how you "need" everything to be write-back or write-combined but I'm not buying that because a) it's never been an issue before and b) I've seen equal numbers of forum posts (from forum staff) claiming mtrr isn't used directly anymore.

I assume something like this will get taken care of by newer drivers, but until then, any suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: gz recompressed-nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (143.0 KB, 68 views)
OliW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:03 AM   #2
Licaon

Default Re: Xorg hangs with GTX580

Can you actually post a log when you are using the GTX580 and not the GTX275?

Can you try adding pci=nomsi on the kernel command line?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-11, 10:06 AM   #3
OliW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
Can you actually post a log when you are using the GTX580 and not the GTX275?
I've never owned a GTX275! Only graphics card in the machine is a GTX580.
Old 02-23-11, 10:09 AM   #4
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliW View Post
I've never owned a GTX275! Only graphics card in the machine is a GTX580.
then what is this log that you attached? is your machine named arrakis or not?
Old 02-23-11, 10:15 AM   #5
OliW

Quote:
then what is this log that you attached? is your machine named arrakis or not?
My bad. I downloaded somebody else's the other day. Must have grabbed the wrong one. I've edited the post to show the new one. I had to recompress it because its default compression left a file that was too big for the forum's [pathetic] upload limit. Still just gzipped, only smaller.
Old 02-23-11, 11:35 AM   #6
OliW

Quote:
Can you try adding pci=nomsi on the kernel command line?
Sorry only just noticed this. Do you still need me to do this or does that only apply to the old log I posted (that wasn't mine)?
Old 02-23-11, 06:19 PM   #7
Licaon

oh, no MSI issues that i can see

You get [mi] EQ overflowing. The server is probably stuck in an infinite loop., welcome to the club: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157499
and NVRM: os_schedule: Attempted to yield the CPU while in atomic or interrupt context, welcome to that club too: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=157041

Can you test with a released kernel ( like 2.6.37 ) and the latest nVidia beta ( like 270.26 ) and post the new log ?

Also just try the MTRR fix just in case.
Old 02-23-11, 11:34 PM   #8
bones_was_here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliW View Post
I assume something like this will get taken care of by newer drivers, but until then, any suggestions?
Don't hold your breath. My 275 gradually got more stable with driver updates, but after several years still isn't fixed, and there's no indication it ever will be. Some acknowledgement of all these hang/crash bug reports would at least be something. I got no response to the one I emailed, not even an automated 'ticket created' or similar message.

It's strange that nice things like the VDPAU implementation and the HDMI audio documentation are released, while severe problems with basic functionality remain.
bones_was_here is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-11, 02:15 AM   #9
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_was_here View Post
Don't hold your breath. My 275 gradually got more stable with driver updates, but after several years still isn't fixed, and there's no indication it ever will be. Some acknowledgement of all these hang/crash bug reports would at least be something. I got no response to the one I emailed, not even an automated 'ticket created' or similar message.

It's strange that nice things like the VDPAU implementation and the HDMI audio documentation are released, while severe problems with basic functionality remain.
The hard thing is that not every system is the same. I have 8200 IGP's, 8800GT's, GTX-275's and the GTX-580's and have had trouble free operation with them without having to hack stuff together (many older cards as well). I've even had other peoples "troublesome" cards and have used them in my systems with no lockups or items they were experiencing. Far to often I have found that those "troublesome" cards were displaying a symptom of a problem that laid elsewhere in the system (most commonly mb or power supply).
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 08:19 PM   #10
bones_was_here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
Far to often I have found that those "troublesome" cards were displaying a symptom of a problem that laid elsewhere in the system (most commonly mb or power supply).
I've run out of components to replace - tried three mainboards, BIOS upgrades and endless fiddling with settings on each of those boards, three power supplies, swapping RAM, a friend's NVIDIA card, even tried giving the graphics card its own power supply. However, nothing changes - voltages are good, temps are good, and the system remains stable while the NVIDIA card hangs X. I can continuously recompile linux with make -j 12 for several days straight with no problems, no segfaults, nothing in dmesg - even with the CPU overclocked - yet X hangs if I alt+tab out of Nexuiz with a GTX275, and never with a 7600GT. Are X58 chipsets somehow incompatible with modern NVIDIA cards? I'm guessing from NVIDIA's lack of a response that they don't think it's their problem, but what else is left? It happens with any kernel, driver, or X server version.
Old 02-24-11, 08:21 PM   #11
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bones_was_here View Post
I've run out of components to replace - tried three mainboards, BIOS upgrades and endless fiddling with settings on each of those boards, three power supplies, swapping RAM, a friend's NVIDIA card, even tried giving the graphics card its own power supply. However, nothing changes - voltages are good, temps are good, and the system remains stable while the NVIDIA card hangs X. I can continuously recompile linux with make -j 12 for several days straight with no problems, no segfaults, nothing in dmesg - even with the CPU overclocked - yet X hangs if I alt+tab out of Nexuiz with a GTX275, and never with a 7600GT. Are X58 chipsets somehow incompatible with modern NVIDIA cards? I'm guessing from NVIDIA's lack of a response that they don't think it's their problem, but what else is left? It happens with any kernel, driver, or X server version.

It is very possible that you are hitting chipset errata. It wouldn't be the first time intel chipset errata has prevented properly running card. *cough* Granite Bay *cough*
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 08:40 PM   #12
bones_was_here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
It is very possible that you are hitting chipset errata. It wouldn't be the first time intel chipset errata has prevented properly running card. *cough* Granite Bay *cough*
Great. I doubt Intel would make any comment on this either, given that it seems to be linux-specific. If it is indeed the X58's fault, then I can't fix it other than with a fistfull of $50 and a lighter...