Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-10-11, 10:45 AM   #25
Stephen Warren

Default Re: GT430 + 260.19.21 + VDPAU = artifacts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno22 View Post
The issue: There are white pixels appearing on very dark areas while playing H264 content with mplayer(from SVN) with VDPAU or XV. ...
It sometimes appears after reboot, and sometimes it does not.
Sometimes it is worse with VDPAU sometimes with XV. No clue why.
Any problem that appears in both Xv and VDPAU is most likely unrelated to the driver; the two driver code-bases are entirely separate. Perhaps an incorrectly encoded file, a corrupted file, or a HW issue?
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-11, 10:29 AM   #26
Xeno22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Any problem that appears in both Xv and VDPAU is most likely unrelated to the driver; the two driver code-bases are entirely separate. Perhaps an incorrectly encoded file, a corrupted file, or a HW issue?
I'm not sure if it was also with XV, but I thought so (was very late and I felt like braindead ).
But nevertheless, why would it be unlikely to be a driver issue? XV and VDPAU are HW accelerated, right? If some algorithm or timing is wrong, it could miscalculate the pixelvalues and probably set the alpha values wrong because of overflows?!
Since I have no clue about the Nvidia driver and the HW acceleration via VDPAU/XV I can just guess. If this also happens with XV, and the code bases are seperate, what could affect both? Just timings of memory/GPU/bus? Some filters/videomixers in the GPU?

I wonder why it only happens on bigger dark areas like shadows. But maybe it also happens on bright areas. Since the underlying window is white, it would not be visible.
I need to check that, but at the moment I reverted to 256.53 to see if this issue still appears.
But of course it could be an HW issue. If it is, there should be a workaround. As far as I understand, mostly the ION has this issue?!

File should be ok, was playing fine with X11 video output. Also my Laptop plays it correctly.

I'm also not able to check it, since I do not have the hardware at the moment, could take some time.
Xeno22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-11, 09:47 PM   #27
dougdeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno22 View Post
I'm not sure if it was also with XV, but I thought so (was very late and I felt like braindead ).
But nevertheless, why would it be unlikely to be a driver issue? XV and VDPAU are HW accelerated, right? If some algorithm or timing is wrong, it could miscalculate the pixelvalues and probably set the alpha values wrong because of overflows?!
Since I have no clue about the Nvidia driver and the HW acceleration via VDPAU/XV I can just guess. If this also happens with XV, and the code bases are seperate, what could affect both? Just timings of memory/GPU/bus? Some filters/videomixers in the GPU?

I wonder why it only happens on bigger dark areas like shadows. But maybe it also happens on bright areas. Since the underlying window is white, it would not be visible.
I need to check that, but at the moment I reverted to 256.53 to see if this issue still appears.
But of course it could be an HW issue. If it is, there should be a workaround. As far as I understand, mostly the ION has this issue?!

File should be ok, was playing fine with X11 video output. Also my Laptop plays it correctly.

I'm also not able to check it, since I do not have the hardware at the moment, could take some time.
My problem looks identical to your screengrabs, where dark areas take on an almost transparent color, allowing random, bright junk to show through. It doesn't just happen on video, I can see it in some areas of the mythtv menu and the xbmc menus. The video artifacts do not always appear, they seem to happen after a period of time. Once they do begin, tearing becomes a problem on my 720p stations. Restarting X is enough to resolve the problem for a while.

It's happening on two systems, both with g210 video cards using DVI. I rolled back to 256, and my problems are gone. I doubt it's a HW issue.
dougdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-11, 10:09 PM   #28
jafar

I've been seeing exactly this issue with VDPAU for months: about a day and a half after reboot, white or colored sparkles appear to "shine though" black regions, and/or artifacts, always with tearing. Can happen in myth or mplayer.

Here's a clue I stumbled upon by accident: once, when this issue occurred after the normal day and a half, I noticed that I could see the video over my VNC session, which I believe has always been invisible to VNC servers when using VDPAU. I was using x11vnc to serve and Remmina to view.

EDIT: I'm on a Geforce 210.

Last edited by jafar; 02-26-11 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add video card info
jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-11, 04:15 PM   #29
Licaon

in beta 270.18/270.26 too?
Licaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 09:19 AM   #30
jafar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licaon View Post
in beta 270.18/270.26 too?
No, actually, I haven't tried that. I'll install it.
jafar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 02:23 PM   #31
Cinquero

Had that problem, too. Latest Ubuntu release. nvidia-260.19.06, 2.6.35-27-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 21 17:40:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

current xine-lib 1.2 compiled from mercurial repo (today) with xine-ui 0.99.6 and xvdr plugin 1.0.5 against xineliboutput 1.0.5 on server.

Problem was: kill xine vdpau playback without proper xine shutdown and xine displays the problem upon next playback (seems also to be valid for x11). Problem goes away with xorg crash/restart.

Solution: enable composite extension in xorg.conf. For some reason I had disabled it.
Cinquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-11, 11:39 AM   #32
Blammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
It does NOT happen for me with XV accell, only with VDPAU. In MythTV it's a matter of switching playback profiles, so it's easy to go back and forth between working/broken.

on the off-chance it was an OS/Driver issue, I reformatted/re-installed and the problem still continued. On a case-by-case basis (resolution, encoder type etc) I can tune VDPAUBUFFERSIZE to mostly make the problem go away, but what works for one playback type doesn't work for another.

2.6.35.11-83.fc14.i686
NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 260.19.36 Tue Jan 18 17:10:40 PST 2011
Blammo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-11, 02:26 AM   #33
Bastien59

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafar View Post
I've been seeing exactly this issue with VDPAU for months: about a day and a half after reboot, white or colored sparkles appear to "shine though" black regions, and/or artifacts, always with tearing. Can happen in myth or mplayer.

Here's a clue I stumbled upon by accident: once, when this issue occurred after the normal day and a half, I noticed that I could see the video over my VNC session, which I believe has always been invisible to VNC servers when using VDPAU. I was using x11vnc to serve and Remmina to view.

EDIT: I'm on a Geforce 210.
Same geforce card, same problem here with 260.44. I recently switch to 270.26. I'll look further if there still are artefacts.

edit : composite is off in xorg.conf to prevent tearing.
Bastien59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:04 PM   #34
Blammo

Thumbs down Re: GT430 + 260.19.21 + VDPAU = artifacts

Any traction on this issue?
Blammo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-11, 03:00 AM   #35
Licaon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blammo View Post
Any traction on this issue?