Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-23-10, 09:51 AM   #157
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: ***Official Gran Turismo 5 Feedback Thread***

My friend came over this weekend, and I got to experience Forza 3 for the first time. My overall impression was that I liked Forza 3 better than GT5. It just felt.... better. The graphics seemed better, the AI seemed better, the maps were more detailed, etc. I also felt that the engine sounds in Forza 3 were higher quality as well. It seriously feels like the developers of GT5 simply put the mic next to the engine on each car, and then just muffled it if you were farther away. That really doesn't sit well with me, as some of the engines sound nothing like the do in real life. (Mustang GT V8 and Audi R8 V8 sounds like crap IMO, but in real life, their V8 sounds are intoxicating)

That being said, I am getting into it more and more as I rise in levels, and I haven't even tapped into multiplayer yet, which I'm really looking forward to. I still don't know which one is the more complete game. I would hope it would be GT5 considering how much time they took to develop it, but honestly, I'm not so sure about that.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 11:05 AM   #158
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Did the recent update fix much?

I ordered this GT5 and it should be coming along shortly and I just wanted to prepare myself as best as possible
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 07:19 PM   #159
Viral
Registered User of Women

The new update makes this game almost what it should have been released as.

Great update regardless, I love the online special events (regularly updated events specified by PD online, playing against AI). Some were way too easy but others are nicely challenging with great rewards. I was short on cash and the Nomad Diablo GT-1 came up in the used car lot... needed 700k badly, spent 80k on a Dodge challenger and mods and won the Indy event easily - damn that was one easy event! Glad I went for it though cause now I have my Diablo GT-1... which is surprisingly a very good well rounded car! Probably my second best behind my Furai concept, almost twice the weight, but 300HP more so it's a bit easier to keep in control on tracks like the nurburgring where I find ultra light cars a bit of a handful.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-10, 12:39 AM   #160
Bman212121

Got my copy of the game for Christmas. Only one that I don't own is GT2. Have to say it turned out very well. I absolutely love how they went back to their roots and took the original tracks and names of some of the races. When playing clubman at night it reminded me of playing the track 10 years ago using my Impreza. It's amazing how well you remember the track even if you haven't played it in years. It feels like you're reliving your childhood almost (now that I think about it some of that might have been in GT4 as well)

There should be plenty of new content that I haven't tried either. Didn't even know they had karts in the game. On top of that NASCAR, and also being able to play dirt tracks. It just seems so weird because it's probably been almost 5 years since I played GT4.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-11, 09:58 AM   #161
ViN86

I got GT5 for my birthday, and I am really enjoying it so far. It's just like the other GT games and I guess that's why I like it. However, I do have a few gripes about it so far.

First, the loading times are atrocious. Every time I change a menu it's a 20 second load time, and I did install to my hard drive, so I don't know what's going on. Maybe I need a faster hard drive. But every 2 seconds, it's LOADING or SAVING or INSTALLING, I mean wtf. I just want to race, I don't need super fancy menus with tons of graphics that take 20 seconds to load. You're wasting my time.

Second, the race requirements are bad at explaining who's eligible some times. For example, the Lightweight K Cup lists about 40 cars I can use, but it doesn't give the stipulations (e.g. cars under 800 kg or something). Other races do, though, so I don't know why they didn't do that with all of them. In the older games, the stipulations were listed very well I always thought.

Third, the graphics in some spots are awesome and in others are bad. I don't know why that is, but I have seen views around the car that look amazing, then later I see views around a different car that look very bad (e.g. before the race starts, some of the cars look like ****).

Fourth, why did they move towards driver levels and restrict races? I mean, if we have levels, what the hell is the point of the licenses? The older versions used licenses to prevent you from racing in other races too quickly, but now we have levels and licenses. Seems redundant and foolish imo.

The game mechanics are pretty good. But still it has an arcade-like feel. It feels like they took a lot of cues from Forza on this GT, but that may be because I put 50 hours in Forza 3 before this.

Either way, I still enjoy the game and will be playing it quite a bit.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 02:43 PM   #162
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Second, the race requirements are bad at explaining who's eligible some times. For example, the Lightweight K Cup lists about 40 cars I can use, but it doesn't give the stipulations (e.g. cars under 800 kg or something). Other races do, though, so I don't know why they didn't do that with all of them. In the older games, the stipulations were listed very well I always thought.
The stipulations are clearly defined when you click "Race Requirments" (not sure if that's the exact wording. It's right next to "Typical Opponents."

If you want a decent challenge you will choose a car that's no better in terms of hp/weight than the best typical opponent.

I wish they told what tires the opponents use but it's usually Sports Hard tires. When you look at a replay for any race you can see the tires the opponents are using if you set your camera on one of them and look at the stats.

Unfortunately, the licenses don't restrict you from racing in certain races. That would make too much sense.

As a game I would say it's not that good. There is no damage in A-Spec, there are few race restrictions so you can easily overpower the AI, and that AI is very poor at dealing with grid starts. The seasonal events with rolling starts are much better. And finally the credits and leveling are poorly designed. At some point you will find you lack the level or credits for the next race. You will have to do other things or repeat races in order to level up or earn more credits.

However, the License tests, Special Events and Seasonal Events make this a better "game" than Forza 3 IMO.

Also as a simulator and online racing simulator it's currently the best available on any platform including PC.

--better physics than FM3
--more cars and variety than iRacing or LFS
--far cheaper than iRacing
--far more casual and aproachable, less intimidating than iRacing.

Overall, even considering the awful B-Spec stuff, GT5 is exceptional.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-11, 03:10 PM   #163
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
The stipulations are clearly defined when you click "Race Requirments" (not sure if that's the exact wording. It's right next to "Typical Opponents."

If you want a decent challenge you will choose a car that's no better in terms of hp/weight than the best typical opponent.

I wish they told what tires the opponents use but it's usually Sports Hard tires. When you look at a replay for any race you can see the tires the opponents are using if you set your camera on one of them and look at the stats.

Unfortunately, the licenses don't restrict you from racing in certain races. That would make too much sense.

As a game I would say it's not that good. There is no damage in A-Spec, there are few race restrictions so you can easily overpower the AI, and that AI is very poor at dealing with grid starts. The seasonal events with rolling starts are much better. And finally the credits and leveling are poorly designed. At some point you will find you lack the level or credits for the next race. You will have to do other things or repeat races in order to level up or earn more credits.

However, the License tests, Special Events and Seasonal Events make this a better "game" than Forza 3 IMO.

Also as a simulator and online racing simulator it's currently the best available on any platform including PC.

--better physics than FM3
--more cars and variety than iRacing or LFS
--far cheaper than iRacing
--far more casual and aproachable, less intimidating than iRacing.

Overall, even considering the awful B-Spec stuff, GT5 is exceptional.
Yea I noticed the other races have much better defined stipulations (e.g. Japanese origin, before 1980, etc.). It must have just been that one race and probably a few others that explicitly list the cars.

As for how this compares to FM3, I don't know. I can't believe GT5 doesn't have damage. The physics are a little better, but when I bump opponents it still feels like bumper cars and the cars don't move nearly as much as they should. It's very disturbing that licenses don't limit your races. I mean the license tests damaged my experience with GT4 because I couldn't pass the S license tests (hahaha) but I understood the point.

But, I love these types of games and there seem to be WAY more things to do than in FM3, so I am enjoying myself.

What's your PSN ID Mowtin? We can trade cars or something.
Old 02-16-11, 03:51 PM   #164
MowTin

Quote:
What's your PSN ID Mowtin? We can trade cars or something.
LordMowTin. Feel free to add me.

I just bought the F10 yesterday for the F1 seasonal event. Before that I spent 20Mil on the Ferrari P4 330 (hard to drive but looks great).

The Citrogen race car is pretty awesome. It's like the batmobile.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-11, 10:06 PM   #165
ViN86

I played FM3 the other day and wow, GT5 graphics are SOOO much better.
Old 02-26-11, 07:42 AM   #166
sammy sung

Quote:

Idd, sad though that the engine sounds are so much worse than forza3
Old 02-26-11, 08:47 AM   #167
Destroy

Quote:
Sadly that is one of the very few things it does better. Lack of basic ff/rr in replays is just plain retarded.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-11, 05:54 PM   #168
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy sung View Post
Idd, sad though that the engine sounds are so much worse than forza3
Yes I have noticed that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Sadly that is one of the very few things it does better. Lack of basic ff/rr in replays is just plain retarded.
Yea honestly so far I prefer the gameplay of FM3. FM3 did a fantastic job of increasing difficulty and prizes/cash with your level, so as you progressed you weren't hung out to dry with nowhere to go like you often are in GT5, causing you to race previously won races continuously just to make money.

Also, WTF with the cars? There are like 1500 cars in GT5, but you can only purchase about 300? That leaves me at the mercy of the stupid used car dealership, which rotates but 99% of the time it sells ****ty cars.

Also, now when I win a championship, I can't sell the car? WHY? And furthermore, they don't even award you the prize car if you win the championship again. That really pisses me off.

</rant>

The actual driving is nice, but everything surrounding it is off. It's like they completely ignored everything that made the previous games like GT3 and GT4 great.