Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-11, 08:59 AM   #1
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith
 
tornadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,446
Default Switching to Verizon soon

After 10 years with Sprint, I am going to Vzw. I was anyway doing a force roam on my Evo to roam on Vzw's network. The 3G speeds on Sprint were like 10kbps-120 kbps. With roaming I was able to hit 1.2MBps consistently. And I hear LTE is planned within the next couple of months. So time to ditch Sprint. I was on SERO but to get the Evo I had to upgrade to SERO Premium, and with the $10 4G charge I am paying 50. With Vzw I will be paying $56 for 450 mins and unlimited data.

Now if only they would release the HTC Thunderbolt or Trophy soon, so I can make the switch!!!
__________________
i7 950 @ 4.2Ghz w/ Venomous-X, Asus Sabertooth x58, 8gb DDR3 GSkill 1600Mhz,MSI N670 PE, Win 7 Ult. x64, Samsung PN50C7000, Pioneer VSX 920-K, Polk Monitor 5.0 Speakers, Bic H100 Sub
tornadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 09:25 AM   #2
Q
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,808
Default Re: Switching to Verizon soon

Sprint is pretty atrocious. I had to use the Nextel part of there network for years at work and it was just sad. Sprint's only reason for being in business is the price advantage, which isn't what it used to be.

You'll never regret going to Verizon. However, AT&T gets a far worse wrap than they deserve. They've really expanded their coverage significantly over the last 18 months, and they are much faster than Verizon in most markets with data. My fellow SysAdmin where I work has a work Verizon droid and a personal iPhone 3GS on AT&T and he consistently has nearly twice the 3G speed and usually better coverage. This is in the Greater Hampton Roads, VA.

Of course, up to 6 or so months ago, he was cursing AT&T, so I think they did a big rollout here not to long ago.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 09:47 AM   #3
snowmanwithahat
Snowy
 
snowmanwithahat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 974
Default Re: Switching to Verizon soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Sprint is pretty atrocious. I had to use the Nextel part of there network for years at work and it was just sad. Sprint's only reason for being in business is the price advantage, which isn't what it used to be.

You'll never regret going to Verizon. However, AT&T gets a far worse wrap than they deserve. They've really expanded their coverage significantly over the last 18 months, and they are much faster than Verizon in most markets with data. My fellow SysAdmin where I work has a work Verizon droid and a personal iPhone 3GS on AT&T and he consistently has nearly twice the 3G speed and usually better coverage. This is in the Greater Hampton Roads, VA.

Of course, up to 6 or so months ago, he was cursing AT&T, so I think they did a big rollout here not to long ago.
Still don't have ATT 3g coverage in my hometown... yet we have Tmo, VZW and Sprint coverage.

I'm actually pretty happy with Sprint for my area. Comparable speeds to VZW, better coverage than ATT locally... I really think I'm going to consider Tmo and VZW next time I make a decision.

I'm not going to lie, it's going to come down to who has the best phone when I'm eligible for a new one.
__________________
---Gaming Rig---
Q6600 3.4ghz (378x9) - 1.5v
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 10:03 AM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Switching to Verizon soon

I have 3G and LTE(4G) on my Atrix with ATT, pretty much everywhere I go in Chicagoland area. Didn't go to WI with Atrix yet, but with my Fuze last year I was getting 3G in some parts of WI, but good news is I never lost sigma completly, while friends with Spring/Verizon all lost their signal.

I would never get a verizon or sprint. only two companies that I would consider are T-Mobile and ATT. I need a GSM phone with SIM card.

When ever I go to Poland, I simply take out my SIM card, buy minutes as I go from Orange or Era and simply use my normal phone.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 10:10 AM   #5
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Switching to Verizon soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
I have 3G and LTE(4G) on my Atrix with ATT, pretty much everywhere I go in Chicagoland area. Didn't go to WI with Atrix yet, but with my Fuze last year I was getting 3G in some parts of WI, but good news is I never lost sigma completly, while friends with Spring/Verizon all lost their signal.

I would never get a verizon or sprint. only two companies that I would consider are T-Mobile and ATT. I need a GSM phone with SIM card.

When ever I go to Poland, I simply take out my SIM card, buy minutes as I go from Orange or Era and simply use my normal phone.
The Atrix doesn't support LTE nor does AT&T have their LTE Network available yet. The Atrix is an HSDPA+ "4G" phone.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 10:20 AM   #6
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Switching to Verizon soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
The Atrix doesn't support LTE nor does AT&T have their LTE Network available yet. The Atrix is an HSDPA+ "4G" phone.
yeah, my mistake
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 11:50 AM   #7
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith
 
tornadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,446
Default Re: Switching to Verizon soon

All my colleagues have iphones on AT&T, and not a day goes by when they are not screaming at the phone. They have so many dropped calls its not even funny.

Sprint was good that way, never a dropped call, but when a phone cant even stream pandora without buffering, you know its bad.
__________________
i7 950 @ 4.2Ghz w/ Venomous-X, Asus Sabertooth x58, 8gb DDR3 GSkill 1600Mhz,MSI N670 PE, Win 7 Ult. x64, Samsung PN50C7000, Pioneer VSX 920-K, Polk Monitor 5.0 Speakers, Bic H100 Sub
tornadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 12:10 PM   #8
Airbrushkid
 
Airbrushkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,420
Default Re: Switching to Verizon soon

I'll stay with At&t. Had Verizon years ago and they suck. Never will go back. Like to see them fade a way. Never a drop call from At&t.
__________________
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-11, 12:18 PM   #9
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland, once a year in Poland
Posts: 24,366
Default Re: Switching to Verizon soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
All my colleagues have iphones on AT&T, and not a day goes by when they are not screaming at the phone. They have so many dropped calls its not even funny.Sprint was good that way, never a dropped call, but when a phone cant even stream pandora without buffering, you know its bad.
probably because of iphone design antenna issues.

I had a HTC Fuze, Samsung Captivate (****ty GPS phone), and now Atrix.

no dropped calls, while friend with iphone complains about dropped calls.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.