Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-08-11, 05:34 PM   #73
betterdan

Default Re: iPad 2

Well we have a buyer for my wife's ipad so I guess she is getting the ipad2 like she wants. We are losing quite a bit selling her original one after only a little over 1 month of ownership but what the wife wants she gets.
I just wish her Zaggmate case/bluetooth keyboard would fit the ipad2.
Old 03-08-11, 06:01 PM   #74
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
I guess I'm a little late to the party. I was looking for this on their (Sam's Club) website, and they don't even have them any more.
Really?

I'm sorry, I thought it was still around.

My friend just bought a stick on cover thingy for the back of his Xoom. It's basically like carbon graphite. Looks great, adds little thickness and, did I mention... I LOVE the OS

I am curious as to what Apple will announce with iOS5 in April. I am REALLY hoping they will play some catchup and we will see more open and more intuitive UI, inclusive of things like widgets
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 09:01 PM   #75
Rakeesh

I'd like to give honeycomb a try. Sadly I don't have any use for a tablet though.
Old 03-08-11, 09:13 PM   #76
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
I'd like to give honeycomb a try. Sadly I don't have any use for a tablet though.
Having an instant-on device is no longer a pipe-dream and, while there are definitely some short-comings (for example, only 5 back-ground apps shown in the left-hand menu and it's not scroll-able), those little niggles will be fixed.

Overall, while I spend far more time on my computer than I do on any of the portable devices out there, I love the convenience factor and this is what a lot of people also appreciate about these devices.

They are definitely not desktop replacement items, but they do most of the basic things well enough.
Old 03-08-11, 09:20 PM   #77
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Having an instant-on device is no longer a pipe-dream and, while there are definitely some short-comings (for example, only 5 back-ground apps shown in the left-hand menu and it's not scroll-able), those little niggles will be fixed.

Overall, while I spend far more time on my computer than I do on any of the portable devices out there, I love the convenience factor and this is what a lot of people also appreciate about these devices.

They are definitely not desktop replacement items, but they do most of the basic things well enough.
One thing I have been thinking, is I regularly do IT work for a friend of mine who is a pediatrician who started his own private practice, and he asked me if there was anything that he could carry with him easily quickly google information to assist in making a diagnosis (no he doesn't use google to make the entire diagnoses - he is a professional who was at one point making 310k a year and was in charge of many other doctors - just google is a lot faster than pulling one of his books out and flipping through pages)

I told him he may consider getting a tablet but I also told him that don't know if it would be as fast as he is looking for. Because correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think touch typing on a tablet would be pretty clumsy compared to a laptop. I suggested he might consider getting one of those laptop tables that you can move around easy, though I'm not entirely sure if there is something about tablets that I'm overlooking.
Old 03-08-11, 09:20 PM   #78
Runningman

Quote:
While I think you are right they are not desktop replacements, I do think In the near future with the availibility of G4 cell technology and a slightly larger screen, they could be a "desktop extender". whos desktop, I guess google or microsoft with be the deciding factor...
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 09:29 PM   #79
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
One thing I have been thinking, is I regularly do IT work for a friend of mine who is a pediatrician who started his own private practice, and he asked me if there was anything that he could carry with him easily quickly google information to assist in making a diagnosis (no he doesn't use google to make the entire diagnoses - he is a professional who was at one point making 310k a year and was in charge of many other doctors - just google is a lot faster than pulling one of his books out and flipping through pages)

I told him he may consider getting a tablet but I also told him that don't know if it would be as fast as he is looking for. Because correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think touch typing on a tablet would be pretty clumsy compared to a laptop. I suggested he might consider getting one of those laptop tables that you can move around easy, though I'm not entirely sure if there is something about tablets that I'm overlooking.
There are books he can get and slap onto the tablet if he wants and do his research directly.

Depending on how things are setup, he will likely have an indexed search within the app available for easy referencing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runningman View Post
While I think you are right they are not desktop replacements, I do think In the near future with the availibility of G4 cell technology and a slightly larger screen, they could be a "desktop extender". whos desktop, I guess google or microsoft with be the deciding factor...
This very much depends on how applications/software progresses in the future. It is NOT intuitive typing on these suckers at the moment. Voice recognition software (Dragon for example is excellent) would be great to help out, but we are a long way from there right now I believe.

Remember when notebooks were supposed to replace desktops? We still see desktops out there. Tablets currently are a nice to have, but in terms of raw functionality, they still have a little ways to go.

Dual-core tablets are great, but, lack of ports and other small anachronisms definitely detract from their usability.
Old 03-08-11, 09:33 PM   #80
Runningman

Quote:

Well, one thing he would have to consider is how close to cell coverage he would be and if that cell sight is 3g or better or just wifi
. also what your going to have to consider, if he has pateint information on there, your going to have to follow HIPPA rules regarding privacy, so another words, the device has to be encrypted and the connection back to other points have to be encrypted. Its really not a hard thing todo these days and not very expensive.

If your trying to sell him on getting the device, you might want to show him this little app that looks like it may make his day faster and easier..

http://ducknetweb.blogspot.com/2011/...ation-for.html

There are even apps that will allow him to look up test results before they are even sent to his office.
Runningman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-11, 09:41 PM   #81
Rakeesh

Quote:
Well, one thing he would have to consider is how close to cell coverage he would be and if that cell sight is 3g or better or just wifi
I've installed a wireless network for him so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
. also what your going to have to consider, if he has pateint information on there, your going to have to follow HIPPA rules regarding privacy, so another words, the device has to be encrypted and the connection back to other points have to be encrypted. Its really not a hard thing todo these days and not very expensive.
I don't think he'll be dealing with patient records, just searching for information when he needs it.

Quote:
If your trying to sell him on getting the device, you might want to show him this little app that looks like it may make his day faster and easier.
Well not so much trying to sell him anything. He's my friend first before a customer, and his clinic is off to a rough start, so I'm trying to keep his costs down. Just trying to figure out what will meet his needs.
Old 03-09-11, 11:17 AM   #82
betterdan

oops
Old 03-09-11, 11:18 AM   #83
betterdan

Looks like I'll be picking up the 32GB white ipad2 on Friday. She originally had the 16GB version which was fine but with video recording capabilities I better get her the 32GB version or she will soon be wanting to sell it for half price then get another ipad2.

Old 03-11-11, 06:08 PM   #84
betterdan

Me and the wife just got back from picking up her ipad2 32G wifi.
We were 3rd in line and Best Buy only had 5 of the 32GB wifi ones in black only, 5 16GB wifi in black and 5 in white. They had no 3G models and no 64GB ones. All 15 of them were spoken for by 3:30 so I'm glad we went up there at 1:30.

It is a lot thinner than I imagined it would be and extremely light for it's size. The first ipad was pretty damn quick I thought but this one seems even snappier. Sue me but I like the damn thing.