Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-08-11, 07:58 AM   #1
Dave Prince

Default Segmentation Violation in X when Switching Bewtween X Servers (v260, v185 worked)

I've just upgraded my machine something like five versions of Ubuntu (from hardy to maverick.) Before the upgrade I'd had to manually install the nvidia driver to get support for the (then) new graphics card, but it worked fine. (It was version 185.18.36.)

I have two 1680x1050 monitors connected to the 9600GT card and two separate X configurations. The first, the main one, uses twinview with both monitors rotated to give a desktop 2100x1680. The second uses just one of the monitors in its normal orientation (that's for apps that get a bit confused about the large desktop, especially when going full screen) and I switch between them at least several times a day.

After the upgrade I've found that the first X server (double, rotated) crashes the _second_ time you switch back to it. Always the second time, first time is okay. This even reproduces when just switching to a console and back (also only on the second time.)

After a bit of experimentation, it seems that the rotate option in the config is what's triggering this - but I need the full height.

I've downloaded and manually installed the latest version (19.44) of the 260 drivers (maverick was a step or so behind) but that's made no difference. I've even tried the beta 270 driver but the problem exists there as well.

I tried going back to the 185 version I used on the old system, but the installer refuses to compile the kernel module 'cause it can't work out what version the kernel headers are.

I'm happy to help debug this (the bug report and installer log etc. will be attached) but in the short term Please could someone help me work out how to get the older, working driver, reinstalled.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (35.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (115.2 KB, 54 views)
Dave Prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 01:45 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Segmentation Violation in X when Switching Bewtween X Servers (v260, v185 worked)

There was a change in server behavior fairly recently that probably accounts for this crash. I know what causes it, so a fix should be available in a future release.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 03:08 PM   #3
sillium

Default Re: Segmentation Violation in X when Switching Bewtween X Servers (v260, v185 worked)

Hi,

i experienced the same issue some time ago.
The offending patch was some change to the X server (as Aaronp said). You could look through my recent post where I wrote about the bug/fix for the X server.

Anyhow I've attached a patch. You can apply it to the xserver sources by using patch -R. It's basically just reverting to the old behaviour. It works up to 1.9.4. Haven't tried with later versions yet.

Note that this is only a temporal workaround.. i really hope there'll be soon a new (fixed) version of the nvidia driver.
Attached Files
File Type: txt vtchange-revert.patch.txt (8.9 KB, 52 views)
sillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 11:08 AM   #4
Dave Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillium View Post
Anyhow I've attached a patch. You can apply it to the xserver sources by using patch -R. It's basically just reverting to the old behaviour. It works up to 1.9.4. Haven't tried with later versions yet.
Many thanks for that. The patch worked fairly easily (Maverick seems to have v1.9.0) but it took a while to persuade dpkg-buildpackage to make new .debs for me.
Eventually I worked out that it's designed to not work with proprietary drivers so you have to remove the nvidia driver and (re)install nouveau + mesa and run downgraded whilst you build and install the new packages, then reinstall the nvidia driver (and see if an old copy of your xorg.conf has survived intact!) and reboot again.

Succesfully worked-around (hopefully it'll be fixed soon.)
Cheers.
Dave Prince is offline   Reply With Quote