Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-10-11, 02:25 PM   #1
help4model64

Default The distribution-provided pre-install script failed!

I've recently installed Ubuntu 10.10 on a machine with a RIVA TNT2 Model 64/Model 64 Pro video card. While it looks great at the default setting of 1920x1080 -- I'd prefer something a little bigger, but a setting that would still preserve a 16x9 aspect ratio (ie: 1600x900). However, when I checked the settings -- there were only four or five, all of which are unsuitable.

At the nvidia site, I was encouraged when I found drivers for my (very much a) legacy card! But, when I install I always get...
The distribution-provided pre-install script failed! Continue installation anyway?

I attached the bug report.

While I've tried to follow the instructions at...
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
...please understand, I'm very new to Linux -- and at this particular time, I need a high degree of "verbosity" in my instructions. Things like verifying certain packages are installed, configuring an "x.org" file (still have no clue!!), and shutting down the X server are challenging to a newbie!

I appreciate any help or feedback...

Kind Regards,
H4M64
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (40.2 KB, 151 views)
help4model64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 07:14 PM   #2
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: The distribution-provided pre-install script failed!

Don't worry about the pre-install script failure. The Ubuntu distribution pre-install script always fails. The only thing that script does is to return a failure status. The idea is to encourage people to use the driver provided by the package manager instead:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/704597

Unfortunately, regardless of the pre-install script, the 71.86.14 driver needed for the RIVA TNT2 is not compatible with modern X servers. Ubuntu 10.10 ships with xorg-server 1.9; the latest version supported by the 71.86.14 driver is 1.3 or so.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote