Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-02-03, 01:15 AM   #1
cera

Default startx crashes with accelerated nvidia driver on gentoo

Everything works fine using the 'nv' driver. The problems I'm having are using the 'nvidia' driver. The behavior seems to be somewhat inconsistent. There have been 3 possible outcomes ... with no changes in the files or execution of startx. Sometimes I will see the splash screen, but *most* times it will not make it that far and just garbage will appear on the console (1). If I see the splashscreen it will usually crash immediately afterwards (2) and the console goes black. One time I made it past the splashscreen and into X, but it was so slow it was unusable (3). I've attached all three of these logs, stage 2 and 3 logs don't vary by much.

I used the new installation process. Then I tried startx using the gentoo packages nvidia-glx, nvidia-cg-toolkit. nvidia-kernel.

card: MSI NVidia GeForce FX 5200

driver: nvidia

distro: 2.4.20-gentoo-r7

bios:
$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce FX 5200
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS: ??.??.??.??.??
Card Type: AGP

cpu: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2700+

mobo: Soyo KT400 Dragon Ultra

I'm attaching my XF86Config file which is a symlink to XF86Config-4.
Attached Files
File Type: txt all.txt (99.9 KB, 146 views)
cera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-03, 11:06 AM   #2
juggler

Unhappy same crash, i guess

Hello,

I'm having the same crash I guess. Did you ever solve the problem? If so, how? I've used the driver succesfull on two GeForce 2 MX 400 cards. Now I upgraded to one GeForce FX 5200 Ultra with two monitors, but X makes my machine very very very slow when starting and finally crashes the system. One monitor blanks and the other gets a text screen with scrambled characters... Any idea?

Tia, Lourens
juggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 02:52 PM   #3
cera

Default sounds like the same thing

and nope, I never solved the problem. My employer got tired of me futzing with it and bought me a new one. This forum and the gentoo forum provided no help.

The problem does sound identical though. I'm wondering are you using the same mobo as me? I was only running a single monitor configuration ... but the really really slow start and odd characters sounds identical.

Please post to this forum if you solve the problem b/c I still have the card. Thanks :-D
cera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 03:34 PM   #4
juggler

Default it seems to work now

Hello,

My X seems to work now. On the Gentoo forum I found two things. One was about loading agpgart as a module and the other was about telling X explicit that I have two CRT monitors. (The ConnectedMonitor option.) One of them is connected using a DVI->CRT converter. I guess the last thing really solved my problem, but in my frustration I changed so many settings that I'm not really sure what fixed it.

Anyway everything runs now for a couple of ours, also glxgears runs fine:

12243 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2448.600 FPS
14464 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2892.800 FPS
14076 frames in 5.0 seconds = 2815.200 FPS

And spread over the whole dualhead :-)

839 frames in 5.0 seconds = 167.800 FPS
837 frames in 5.0 seconds = 167.400 FPS
836 frames in 5.0 seconds = 167.200 FPS
840 frames in 5.0 seconds = 168.000 FPS

For now I only found one thing that makes my X slow and unusable again, that is when I start a remote X program on the server of my company over a X11 SSH forwarded connection. I guess it has something to do with the dualhead/xinerama/nvidia combination, since the program worked fine when my dualhead consisted of two seperate GeForce 2 MX cards. Anyway if I first run a local Xnest and then open the remote X program inside the Xnest everything works fine, so for now I'm okay. I'll let you know If it keeps running stable for a couple of days.

I've attached my XF86Config for reference.

Bye, Lourens
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (1.8 KB, 173 views)
Old 12-01-03, 03:43 PM   #5
juggler

Default not complete I think

Me again,

I forgot to say that I also found messages to put 'mem=nopentium' in the lilo.conf to work around a bug in the athlon 4MB pages or something causing video lockups. Currently also that resides in my lilo.conf, but a couple of tries after I put it there it still didn't work, so I don't think that is my solution, but it could be part of it.

And to answer the rest of your question:

Mobo: MSI K7N2 Delta FISR (or something like that)
AMD Athlon XP 2600+, FSB333 (running at 2088.065 MHz, a friend says that is to high and I overclocked my machine, but I can't remember that I did... :-))
1 Gb DDR 333MHz
GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, with two DFPs connected over SVGA cables, one of them converted back to DVI.

Bye, Lourens