Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-11, 04:40 PM   #37
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyboy View Post
Hmm i have read several reviews now on the 6990 and a friend and I got talking about the 6990 last night, we both came to the same conclusion that we don't really know who would actually buy one of these, let me explain. A person who can afford a 6990 is the sort of person who can afford to lay down a serious amount of cash on their PC and the will be an enthusiast and a enthusiast is going want the faster hardware available and for the extra money they would probably go with an 580 GTX SLI setup over a 6990. That being said feel free to disagree with me.
And has anyone on here bought one yet? further proof I am wrong lol
1.) $300 more for the GTX 580 SLI is not exactly some people even enthusiast like to spend on video cards, specially with upgrading every year and the cards fast loosing resale value.

2.) Some people might not even have a need for such powerful set as GTX 580 SLI, for example my gaming at 1080p resolution the HD 6990 is probably overkill. I'm mainly upgrading because the HD 6990 has 2GB GDDR5 per GPU and much better tessellation than my HD 5970. Also for some people the HD 6990 with 2GB GDDR5 will compete well in some games with much more expensive GTX 580 SLI in some high resolutions and multi monitors setup.

3.) Your better argument probably was why not GTX 570 SLI or HD 6970 CF which is close in the same price range. The short answer is, my setup is better suitable for single graphic card.

4.) You and your friend and everybody else following the graphic cards news should know by now. Neither Nvidia or AMD/ATI ever produced the dual GPU graphic cards to compete with 2 cards SLI or 2 cards CF. The single most important reason for the Dual GPU cards is to have the fastest graphic card on the market which also in the case for AMD/ATI was for the last 4 generation the flagship card.

5.) If somebody bought the card yet is kind of very strange question, since Newegg I'm sure the best supplied online retailer has the cards sold out even though some cards already had second shipment. Are they going to be many Nvidia enthusiasts buying the card, I doubt so but the video card industry is not just about this forum.
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 07:39 PM   #38
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!
 
kaptkarl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 406
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
1.) $300 more for the GTX 580 SLI is not exactly some people even enthusiast like to spend on video cards, specially with upgrading every year and the cards fast loosing resale value.

2.) Some people might not even have a need for such powerful set as GTX 580 SLI, for example my gaming at 1080p resolution the HD 6990 is probably overkill. I'm mainly upgrading because the HD 6990 has 2GB GDDR5 per GPU and much better tessellation than my HD 5970. Also for some people the HD 6990 with 2GB GDDR5 will compete well in some games with much more expensive GTX 580 SLI in some high resolutions and multi monitors setup.

3.) Your better argument probably was why not GTX 570 SLI or HD 6970 CF which is close in the same price range. The short answer is, my setup is better suitable for single graphic card.

4.) You and your friend and everybody else following the graphic cards news should know by now. Neither Nvidia or AMD/ATI ever produced the dual GPU graphic cards to compete with 2 cards SLI or 2 cards CF. The single most important reason for the Dual GPU cards is to have the fastest graphic card on the market which also in the case for AMD/ATI was for the last 4 generation the flagship card.

5.) If somebody bought the card yet is kind of very strange question, since Newegg I'm sure the best supplied online retailer has the cards sold out even though some cards already had second shipment. Are they going to be many Nvidia enthusiasts buying the card, I doubt so but the video card industry is not just about this forum.

Well said. Remember this is a NVidia Fanbouy site.

Kapt
__________________
Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 motherboard
AMD Phenom ll X4 965 BE OC'd @ 3.6GHz
Vendetta cooler 120mm fan
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-11, 10:02 PM   #39
trivium nate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,023
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

such a beast its insane!
__________________
CM-HAF-932//AMD Phenom-II-X4-965-BE-Deneb-3.4 GHz-Quad Core//CorsairH50
ASRock 770 EXTREME3 Mobo//EVGA GTX-480(1536MB GDDR5)-Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtreme+cooler
180GB SSD//3TB//G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB//DVD-RW//blu-Ray//1000 Watt Corsair PSU
42"Vizio TV-1920x1080-1080P-120Hertz//Win 7 Ultimate(64)//XBox360-pc controller
Saitek Eclipse 2 keyboard//Razer DeathAdder Mouse//250gb-Xbox 360//160gb-PS3
trivium nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 06:17 AM   #40
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
 
Ancient76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 651
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Sure I will when i get the card and you can be surethat it will be 100% honest. For now I only have the e-mail confirmation. "Your order should be processed and ready for ship-out within 24-48 hours." 3/8/2011 8:11:16 PM


Oh really? Did you watch it? If you think it was so good and professional, how would you rate it compare to this video, since the review was basically just about cooling and heat.



Again oh really, if the the vapor chamber cooling is so cheap I wonder why did Nvidia copied it from AMD on some of the cards. Here is the HD 6990 dual vapor chambers cooler. I don't think there is anything cheap about it plus I don't remember reading any review describing as cheap.



According to all reviews there is no problem with the heat on HD 6990 at least not compared to other powerful setups like GTX 570 SLI, GTX 580 SLI and HD 6970 CF. Furthermore GTX 480 and HD 4870x2 run much more HOT as I already posted. I still have the HD 4870x2 and was able to cope with it even without any after market coolers.

Yes the HD 6990 is more noisy than others, most likely two or three fan cooler other than the turbo fan will solve the problem but that will turn it in 3 slot card. I'm sure they're going to be some after market coolers like that. The other solution is water cooling, something I don't like to be bothered with.

In the mean time I should not have any problem with heat, my CosmosS case is well ventilated, 200x230x30mm 900 rpm side panel intake fan blowing air right on the graphic card, I also have 3 more 120x120x25mm 1200 rpm intake fan installed and 3 x 120x120x25mm 1200 rpm exhaust fans. I believe this should make it better than open bench test.

About the noise, at one time my very sexy neighbor was politely asking if I can turn down the volume when playing games at late night. First I was thinking it was just her excuse to talk to me, like new pick up line , but just to make her happy I bought Sennheiser headphones, so that should solve the problem until I replace the cooler IF NEEDED.
Vapor chamber isn't AMD technology.

In this video system is shutting down while running Unigine. This is CF 6990 test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTzFG...layer_embedded

This colling solution is not enough for these cards.
__________________
Skyrim: Realistic Overhaul - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5400
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S.C.O.P.: Realistic mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call Of Pripyat - http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=...3928&sec_id=19
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 06:22 AM   #41
Peoples-Agent
Vape Therapist
 
Peoples-Agent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Berkshire, UK
Posts: 4,308
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

3 months tops, everyone will be on here crying their 6990 is fried.
__________________
For The Fallen
With proud thanksgiving, a mother for her children,
England mourns for her dead across the sea.
Flesh of her flesh they were, spirit of her spirit,
Fallen in the cause of the free.
Peoples-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 11:00 AM   #42
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
3 months tops, everyone will be on here crying their 6990 is fried.
Are you talking based on some experience, this is not exactly rumor thread.

By experience I mean did you have the GTX 480 and it lasted ONLY 3 months? Just asking because the single GPU 480 runs much hotter. Also the HD 4870 x2 which I still have is running much hotter.

I don't remember reading anywhere about the above 2 cards lasting ONLY 3 months. Maybe you had just bad luck.

Now seriously, this is "Other Desktop Graphics Cards" sub forum, basically a forum for AMD/ATI graphic card users to exchange experience. I wonder why very few Nvidia ethusiast ONLY visit this forum to troll.
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 11:35 AM   #43
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
3 months tops, everyone will be on here crying their 6990 is fried.
Please don't threadcrap.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 08:45 AM   #44
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
 
Ancient76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 651
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Are you talking based on some experience, this is not exactly rumor thread.

By experience I mean did you have the GTX 480 and it lasted ONLY 3 months? Just asking because the single GPU 480 runs much hotter. Also the HD 4870 x2 which I still have is running much hotter.

I don't remember reading anywhere about the above 2 cards lasting ONLY 3 months. Maybe you had just bad luck.

Now seriously, this is "Other Desktop Graphics Cards" sub forum, basically a forum for AMD/ATI graphic card users to exchange experience. I wonder why very few Nvidia ethusiast ONLY visit this forum to troll.
Did you compare GTX480 or 4870x2 to 6990? You didn't!

Sure, GTX480 is hot and loud, but according to some tests 6990 is even worse. And btw, GTX480 is history, not important.

You know, objectivity is a virtue.
__________________
Skyrim: Realistic Overhaul - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5400
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S.C.O.P.: Realistic mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call Of Pripyat - http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=...3928&sec_id=19
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-11, 06:43 AM   #45
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
Did you compare GTX480 or 4870x2 to 6990? You didn't!
I already posted the AnnadTech graph in this thread, so here one more time. Beside neither the GTX 480 or Hd 4870x2 hot temps are not any secret.



THE ONLY reason I talked about the GTX 480 and Hd 4870x2 was to compare, since my reply was to this very strange post to put it nicely. No idea what was the need for you to get involved and not let it go. Like there was any more need to talk about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples-Agent View Post
3 months tops, everyone will be on here crying their 6990 is fried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
Sure, GTX480 is hot and loud, but according to some tests 6990 is even worse. And btw, GTX480 is history, not important.
You know, objectivity is a virtue.
Not for everybody the GTX 480 is history many people still use the card without any problems, I also still have the HD 4870x2. Off course if Peoples-Agent was right than the cards would have been REAL HISTORY, long time ago and that was my point.

How much more objective you want me to be since I also included the HD 4870x2?


It's really VERY FUNNY when you talk about objectivity. I mean you who is specializing in negatives posting about AMD/ATI. The ONLY time you visit this forum is when you have something negative to say.
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 06:46 AM   #46
Heinz68
Registered User
 
Heinz68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto-CAN, Hamburg-DE, Prague-CZ
Posts: 1,893
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Dragon Age II Eyefinity 5822 x 1920 resolution using AMD's HD 6990

Dragon Age II, the highly anticipated sequel to Dragon Age: Origins was released just a couple days ago alongside AMD’s dual GPU behemoth, the HD 6990. Turns out both go well together, thanks largely to the game's excellent Eyefinity support.

The original Dragon Age was the first game to take advantage of Eyefinity, at a time when the technology was still in its early stages. Dragon Age II expands that support by utilizing AMD’s latest five-display gaming configuration. While playing Dragon Age II using five monitors, the field of view is greatly enhanced, as is the case with other Eyefinity settings. However, where the 5 x 1 configuration stands out is in its ability to scale to resolution up to 5822 x 1920, and its improved bezel placement, both offering more immersive gameplay.
Read more and video at neoseeker
__________________
Stop The Meter On Your Internet Use

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 09:52 AM   #47
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
 
Ancient76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 651
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
I already posted the AnnadTech graph in this thread, so here one more time. Beside neither the GTX 480 or Hd 4870x2 hot temps are not any secret.



THE ONLY reason I talked about the GTX 480 and Hd 4870x2 was to compare, since my reply was to this very strange post to put it nicely. No idea what was the need for you to get involved and not let it go. Like there was any more need to talk about it




Not for everybody the GTX 480 is history many people still use the card without any problems, I also still have the HD 4870x2. Off course if Peoples-Agent was right than the cards would have been REAL HISTORY, long time ago and that was my point.

How much more objective you want me to be since I also included the HD 4870x2?


It's really VERY FUNNY when you talk about objectivity. I mean you who is specializing in negatives posting about AMD/ATI. The ONLY time you visit this forum is when you have something negative to say.
You are posting graphs that you like. Why don't you post this:



In order to keep temp. around 90C this is what you get. The loudest card ever created.

GTX 480 is history because today nobody will buy it, especially with fabric cooler. And btw, problems with high temps on GTX 480 are mostly because of low RPM, even when card hits 90C.

According to many tests this isn't case with 6990.
__________________
Skyrim: Realistic Overhaul - http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5400
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S.C.O.P.: Realistic mod for S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call Of Pripyat - http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=...3928&sec_id=19
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 02:47 PM   #48
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Official Radeon HD 6990 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
You know, objectivity is a virtue.
FWIW, that goes both ways.

Will the 6990 be good in a HTPC? Obviously not. But most enthusiasts that I know couldn't care less about the noise as long as the performance is there. You can't say a card is the worst because of one feature, just like you can't say it's the best.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.