Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-13-11, 03:11 PM   #13
mojoman0

Default Re: Apple says "f*ck you" to iphone 3g owners

apple doesn't make money on 2.5 year old phone hardware that they dont sell any more which leaves them little reason to continually support it. Microsoft has made the mistake of supporting legacy OS and programs such as IE because they have such a large user base they sort of have to but look how lethargic their product releases are
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 04:19 PM   #14
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
apple doesn't make money on 2.5 year old phone hardware that they dont sell any more which leaves them little reason to continually support it. Microsoft has made the mistake of supporting legacy OS and programs such as IE because they have such a large user base they sort of have to but look how lethargic their product releases are
This is one thing that absolutely pisses me off. I deal with crappy bank applications on a daily basis that STILL rely on IE6 and WinXP; they are finally going with Win7 and IE8 as their "standard" starting this year, or so they say. Although WinXP is still a decent OS (honestly, it is), IE6 is dead and Win7 is good enough to replace XP as a "standard" OS. Companies like MS should push users to upgrade IMO, not just saying "Oh, we don't support any longer, but feel free to use what you want even though IE9 is right around the corner". Heck, with IE9 coming out, IE7 should be phased out IMO.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 04:39 PM   #15
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah because no android device gets left in the dark and ignored....
That's not Google's fault. That depends on the carrier/manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
With Apple, you can always jailbreak and upgrade. You and Magus both have good points.
I thought the most recent versions of iOS don't have tether-free jailbreaks yet.

That was part of the reason I keep my device iOS 4.1.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 05:10 PM   #16
Bearclaw

I love how Apple "forces" you to upgrade. They should. The average contract is 2 years anyway and then people move on.
Old 03-13-11, 06:00 PM   #17
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
That's not Google's fault. That depends on the carrier/manufacturer.

I thought the most recent versions of iOS don't have tether-free jailbreaks yet.

That was part of the reason I keep my device iOS 4.1.
http://m.gizmodo.com/5781445/sn0wbre...ces-on-windows
Old 03-14-11, 02:21 AM   #18
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah because no android device gets left in the dark and ignored....
Well here's the deal: these vulnerabilities are in the web browser, so anybody using these phones has to be very careful about what websites they visit, in fact visiting a legit site that has been compromised is also a concern.

With android this isn't a problem, simply upgrade your web browser, or simply switch to another one, (there are many to choose from) problem solved. On iphone however, apple doesn't allow other browsers, so you're simply screwed.

That's why with android you can still run an older version of the OS and there's no problem. However on iOS getting left behind is basically telling you to either throw out your phone or never store any personal information on it (making it somewhat useless as a smartphone.)
Old 03-14-11, 05:38 AM   #19
Revs

It's crap like this which makes me glad I moved away from Apple products..
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 06:51 AM   #20
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post
With android this isn't a problem, simply upgrade your web browser, or simply switch to another one, (there are many to choose from) problem solved. On iphone however, apple doesn't allow other browsers, so you're simply screwed.
There are quite a few 3rd party browsers on the appstore. I use iCab and set it as default, but there is also iLuna, Atomic, Skyfire. Not sure where you got the idea about not allowing other browsers. O_o.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-11, 08:20 AM   #21
Airbrushkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakeesh View Post

The App store many free browsers so your wrong about Apple. If they didn't allow it they would of block these free browsers apps.
Intel Q9550 l eVGA NForce 780i SLI FTW l 2 Palit GTX 560 Ti 2 GB SLI l Corsair Dominator 8 gig PC2-8500 l 2 - Intel X-25M 80 gb SSD Raid 0 l WD 1 -2TB & 2 -1TB l On board sound l Antec TruePower Quattro TPQ-1200 1200W l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l 3 X Dell E248WFP 24" Monitors
Airbrushkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-11, 11:08 AM   #22
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
That link is talking about a tethered jailbreak which blows. Vin was wanting a tether free jailbreak.
Old 03-14-11, 12:27 PM   #23
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan View Post
That link is talking about a tethered jailbreak which blows. Vin was wanting a tether free jailbreak.
Sure, but you need to tether for 5 seconds and then never do it again. Is it THAT much of a hassle?

But ya, the jailbreakme.com only goes up to 4.1
Old 03-14-11, 01:19 PM   #24
betterdan

As I understand it, a tethered jailbreak involves you having to hook your i device to a computer everytime it is rebooted or if the battery dies. You have to have the program on that computer that jail broke the device to begin with so that it can let the device boot up jailbroken.

It would suck if you needed to reboot the device without a computer with the jailbreak program on it near by. So yes it is a hassle.
It's like having to have your car hooked to a gas pump everytime you started it.

Also according to their faq jailbreakme.com only works up to firmware 4.0.1 not 4.1 http://www.jailbreakme.com/faq.html