Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-13-03, 02:27 PM   #169
psychosis

Default Fedora Core 1 Flakiness

Hardware: Asus GeForce FX 5200, 2x ViewSonic VP181b via DVI.
I was previously using NVIDIA 1.0-4496 on RH9 (fully up2date'd, with an RH9-based 2.4.22 kernel) with perfect performance.
I just installed Fedora Core 1 with the stock 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl kernel, and on X startup, display 0 will blank, showing the "question mark / DVI-D" icon of the monitor's error reporting. It's sometimes fixed by going back to a text console and returning to X. I also notice "shimmer" artifacts on monitor 0. Hard to explain, and can't be screenshotted, but it looks like one color in the palette is being changed very quickly among a few colors close to the correct one. The shimmery pixels don't move, and are the same ones when I change the display. There also seems to be a very faint and sporadic horizontal "interference" line on display 0. (Think old school analog bunny-eared TV.) It seems to be dependent on the screen contents, too - I can go from cnn.com (for example) in one browser tab to a different site in another tab, and the horizontal line artifact is only evident while cnn.com is on the screen.
I switched the DVI connections between monitors and the result stays with the DVI port - not the monitor or cable.

Not sure if it may be related to the thread handling in the kernel changing between "standard" RH9 and FC1, or the version of X, but the Fedora Install is the only change - no hardware swapped out whatsoever.

Hope this helps, and if more information is needed, please feel free to let me know.
psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-03, 08:15 PM   #170
psychosis

Well, after a few hours spent troubleshooting, it ends up that Fedora mis-identified the monitors as VP-181b-2 rather than just VP-181b - the modelines identified H/Vsync ranges larger than the screens can handle, and mass confusion ensued...
I ended up using the Generic LCD / 1280x1024 and all is right on the desktop.
Sorry for the bandwidth, and hope this helps someone out... I'll let the Fedora/X folks know.
psychosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 05:45 PM   #171
SnapIT

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Trouble with Linux SlackWare 9.0

Quote:
Originally posted by jpilotus
Good grief, man. For one thing... while rpm is included
with slack, I would heartily *not* recommend it. Rpm's
do things that aren't comaptible with the Slack way of
doing things.

For another, what do you think "tgz" means?
Ehhh... i guess i shouldn't have installed mozilla 1,6a via the rpm interface then? Well, it works ok...

Of course it is not the preferred way to do it, but neither is source...

For slackware .tgz means slack-pack wich can be installed via pkgtools, it is not source, it is a binary pack, can be upgraded via swaret or slapt-get... (or pkg-tools just like in FreeBSD, btw swaret is part of the latest slack distro, that pretty much removed any advantage debian had over slack) (check out swaret.xbone.be)

obviously, you need to learn how slack works too...

(.tgz is a tar.gz file, for slackware it is a slack-pack, works like rpm does for RedHat or .deb for debian, but a .tgz slack-pack != a tar.gz source file)

Last edited by SnapIT; 11-14-03 at 05:55 PM.
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-03, 05:50 PM   #172
SnapIT

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Trouble with Linux SlackWare 9.0

Quote:
Originally posted by pii350mmxpc100
I've confirmed and acknowlege my mistakes. And I should know better.

I Apologise to all the Slackware fans out there, and will think before I speak. Even better, educate myself before I think.

UPDATE: I also apologise to Nvidia for mentioning RPMS in ther installer.

To clean up my mess, I'll start again from the top:

If you run the command "sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run --extract-only" (without the quotes). Then change to the directory to"NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2/usr/src/nv/precompiled" (without the quotes). You will only see Nvidia binary drivers for Red Hat, Mandrake and SUSE kernels.

In the "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2/usr/src/nv" (without the quotes) directory, you will find the NVIDIA GPU driver Source. Which can be compiled to the NVIDIA Driver for your Slackware System. The Nvidia installer will compile the Nvidia driver, then install the GLX and create the Device nodes.

You will need to have the Linux kernel source, gcc, binutils, glibc and other devlopment tools(tool chain)/programs to be able to compile the Nvidia driver.

To answer your other question. If the installer says it needs to compile a new kernel driver, you can say YES.

And as others have siad before me. It works

Hope this helps : )
Sorry if a was a bit harsh, but there are so many who CLAIM, like the other one who's post i just replied to, that it leads unexperienced slack users into a loop...

Again, i know that you were just trying to help, and i'm sorry if i was a bit "RTFM" with you...

I hate people who are like that...
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-03, 11:56 PM   #173
metalklesk

HI,my name is Daniel(from chile), I have mandrake 9.2 and an asus geforcefx 5200, i've downloaded the last nvidia driver but i have some problems installing it.First i downloaded the kernel 2.4.22 from www.kernel.org, unzip kernel in /home/metalklesk/Documents in a folder called linux2422, the *.run is in Documents too, out of X i wrote sh NVIDIA...-kernel/linux2422/include but it can find the kernel headers, i don't know what to do to fix this, can anybody help me please?? thanks,bye.

PD sorry for my english, I speak spanish , bye.

klesk_666
metalklesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-03, 11:59 PM   #174
metalklesk

ups sorry, i mean CANNOT FIND THE KERNEL HEADERS.....

klesk_666 :fireburner
metalklesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-03, 06:55 PM   #175
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Mandrake 9.2 does not install kernel source by default, and its missing from many of the cds entirely. You need the kernel source, which is an rpm name:
kernel-source-<version>.rpm where <version> is your kernel version.
see this thread for a discussion.
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=20750
Old 11-28-03, 03:31 AM   #176
Lumberjack

Default Source?

Is it no longer possible to get the source for the nVidia driver?
The .run script says that the kernel header files are not configured. I'm running a precompiled openmosix kernel (openmosix-kernel-2.4.20-openmosix2.i386.rpm). I have downloaded the source for the kernel, but I have no intention of building the kernel, because the precompiled version works perfecly (except in combination with the nVidia driver script).

If I have the source for the nVidia driver I may be able to compile it without configuring the kernel?

Regards
Lumberjack
Lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-03, 12:45 AM   #177
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

You can extract the sources directly from the installer.

Try the parameter -A on the installer to see the whole list of advanced options.
Old 12-01-03, 02:37 AM   #178
Lumberjack

Thanx for the reply, but I have now compiled the kernel myself, and then the installer did the job for me without problems.
Lumberjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-03, 04:40 PM   #179
pipodnmy

Default 1.0-4496 problem

i have no problem with the latest driver - Quake3, Warcraft3, TuxRacer - all games run fine. I am using RH9. I am usually in runlevel 5, but if i try to do anything outside runlevel 5 - run init 1 or 3, try Ctrl+ALt+F1 or anything to switch to Console mode, I have a blur of colors with nothing visible.

I did not have that problem with the previous driver of nvidia (which I used for quite a long time), though I had it with the genetic driver vs of linux as well.

My video card is Nvidia GeForce 4 Go and OS is RH9.0. Any ideas?
pipodnmy is offline   Reply With Quote