Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-15-11, 07:35 AM   #1
dae

Default DPMS over DP->DVI adapter not working

I have two Dell P2411H monitors connected to a Quadro FX 580 (with one DVI port and two DP ports). One of the monitors is using the DVI port, and the other one is connected to one of the DP ports using a (passive, I think) DP->DVI adapter.

Whenever DPMS standby/suspend/off is activated (for example, by running xset dpms standby/suspend/off), the monitor connected to the DP port starts cycling between on and off. I.e. it doesn't stay off. The monitor connected to the DVI port stays off, like it should.

Exiting DPMS works correctly though, both monitors come back up (and stay up).

Is this a known issue? Or is my DP->DVI adapter broken?
dae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-11, 06:14 PM   #2
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: DPMS over DP->DVI adapter not working

Hello dae,

Can you please include an nvidia-bug-report.log file so that we can know a little bit more about the system? See the sticky thread for more info: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678

I'm assuming that this isn't specific to having two montors: i.e., with just a single monitor on the DP->DVI dongle (please let us know the make and model of this dongle, if possible) the same symptom is observed when entering DPMS.
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 02:21 AM   #3
dae

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
I'm assuming that this isn't specific to having two montors: i.e., with just a single monitor on the DP->DVI dongle (please let us know the make and model of this dongle, if possible) the same symptom is observed when entering DPMS.
Yes, same thing happens just a single monitor on DP->DVI. I'll try to find out which model the dongle is.

The attached bug report is with just a single monitor connected, and after a DPMS off/on cycle.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (32.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-16-11, 02:34 AM   #4
dae

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae View Post
I'll try to find out which model the dongle is.
This appears to be the model number: DPN F388M. Google suggests it's a Dell dongle: http://accessories.dell.com/sna/prod...=pub&sku=f388m
Old 03-16-11, 03:22 AM   #5
dae

Looks like this really was a driver issue; I upgraded the drivers from 260.19.44 to 270.30, and that appeared to have solved the problem. The monitor connected over the DP->DVI dongle is now suspending correctly.

Attaching a bug-report with 270.30 running (i.e. the working case), in case you want to look for differences.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (33.1 KB, 93 views)
Old 03-16-11, 07:47 AM   #6
dae

Quote:
Originally Posted by dae View Post
LI upgraded the drivers from 260.19.44 to 270.30, and that appeared to have solved the problem. The monitor connected over the DP->DVI dongle is now suspending correctly.
I'll have to take that back. It did work a couple of times when I tried it manually. Now it's back to the old behavior, cycling between on and off. This happens both when manually activating dpms, and when waiting for the normal timeout to occur.

I really have no idea why it stopped working; I haven't changed anything, and I haven't restarted neither the computer nor X.

Let me know if there's any more info you need.
Old 03-23-11, 02:07 AM   #7
dae

bump
Old 04-14-11, 01:21 AM   #8
dae

Still not working in 270.41.03

Old 06-07-11, 06:24 AM   #9
dae

This is still broken in 275.09.04
Old 06-15-11, 04:19 PM   #10
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

We haven't been able to observe the DPMS failure exactly as you've described it. However, we are investigating other reports of DPMS state failing to stay set, and have been able to confirm these reports. Preliminary findings from the investigation seem to suggest that gnome-power-manager is making DPMS change state after we set it in the driver. There appears to be something of a race condition here, and the problem doesn't reproduce on every configuration. It also isn't specific to any particular type of port, as far as we can tell, so I'm not convinced that your problem is related...

If you could try running a bare X server and/or killing gnome-power-manager (if you're even running it in the first place) to see if the problem goes away, it might give us a clue that your problem (which we haven't reproduced) is or isn't related to the other one which we're investigating (and have reproduced).
Old 06-16-11, 11:04 AM   #11
dae

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
If you could try running a bare X server and/or killing gnome-power-manager (if you're even running it in the first place) to see if the problem goes away, it might give us a clue that your problem (which we haven't reproduced) is or isn't related to the other one which we're investigating (and have reproduced).
I'm not running gnome-power-manager. Right now I'm using KDE 4.6.3 (which, afaik, uses powerdevil+upower for power management).

I'll still try a bare X server (some time tomorrow, hopefully) to see if that makes a difference.

If it's any help, the DP->DVI monitor shows the same behaviour when I switch to a VT. I.e. the primary monitor (DVI only) stays on, while the secondary DP->DVI monitor flickers on and off.
Old 06-16-11, 12:50 PM   #12
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Based on your latest information (particularly the fact that you see the flickering when switching to a VT), I don't think your problem could be related to the other one we're investigating.

I would imagine that swapping the displays doesn't help, either...

We continue to be unable to reproduce this at NVIDIA, but we also don't have the exact monitor and dongle combination that you have... It might be worth raising the issue with Dell: if they are able to reproduce the issue on their end, then they should be able to provide us with the hardware we need. If they aren't, then maybe you do simply have a broken dongle / GPU board / monitor and replacing the component in question will resolve your issue.