Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-11, 03:09 PM   #1
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default HTC Droid Eris

So, I have been wanting to get a cheap Android device and a nice guy I came across offered me his Droid Eris. Sure, older tech and a silly trackball...

but hot dam...

Some of the ROM's for this thing are unreal. It has a modded 2.1, a full 2.2 and even a 2.3 that works fine. I have my cpu underclocked/overclocked at 19mhz/710mhz. It flies along great. So far my battery life has been amazing too. 7 hours of use, 90% left.

The other thing I enjoy is the managable size of the Eris. Everything is going to 3.7 and 4 inch screens... how the hell is that supposed to fit into my pocket? I'm a fan of smaller devices.

The reason for this post was just saying how fantastic the ROM community is to a little Eris.
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-11, 04:39 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: HT Droid Eris

Yes it's a very popular phone. You must have a decent battery though cause that thing eats battery like no other in my gf's phone. It will usually make it through the day but that's about it. If it's being used it might need a bump charge to make it the rest of the way.

What ROM do you have running? One thing that I had to do was limit the downclocking to around 214mhz in sleep otherwise it has slow response once you wake the phone back up.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 12:50 AM   #3
zoomy942

I had it at 19 but I moved it to 160. No lag problems but notifications were slow sometimes. I tried a gingerbread rom today and plan on trying a froyo but sense always brings me back. I love senseui.

I'm running xtrsense 5.0.1. Try it out. I easily get 2 or 3 days out of my phone.
Old 03-22-11, 10:39 AM   #4
Bman212121

I see your post. I might try to flash the phone in the next couple of days. Her phone needs to just get replaced but we're trying to milk it until the contract is up.

The phone is currently running FroshedYo (froyo Cynogen) It seems to work well but it doesn't get the best battery life.
Old 03-22-11, 11:03 AM   #5
zoomy942

I just can't get into those Cy roms. I think part of it is with the Eris have a trackball and it being kind of a weird device, i always have the best luck with beefed up stock-ish roms. For example, I like the trackball glowing on and off with a text. other rom's don't do that.

Besides, with the battery life I am getting, I'm not really worrying about a newer ROM... the hardware in the Eris certainly isn't a spring chicken.
Old 03-22-11, 11:33 AM   #6
Bman212121

Froshedyo has a working trackball indicator. The phone definitely isn't the fastest but it gets the job done. Was going to ask you what mah battery is in your phone. Just wanted to make sure its a stock battery and not an extended one.
Old 03-22-11, 12:23 PM   #7
zoomy942

Nice!

I'll check that rom out. I was going to try KaosFroyo but I like the trackball working. Hard to get away from how awesome my xtr rom is though. A 2.2 Sense based rom would be nice, but apparently people are having trouble with the camera working... which is a deal breaker for me.

My battery is completely stock my friend. I can't recommend xtrSense enough.

EDIT - Have a link to that Froyoshed? I didn't see it over at xda.
Old 03-22-11, 01:32 PM   #8
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
Nice!

I'll check that rom out. I was going to try KaosFroyo but I like the trackball working. Hard to get away from how awesome my xtr rom is though. A 2.2 Sense based rom would be nice, but apparently people are having trouble with the camera working... which is a deal breaker for me.

My battery is completely stock my friend. I can't recommend xtrSense enough.

EDIT - Have a link to that Froyoshed? I didn't see it over at xda.
It's the first thread on the 2nd page. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=824160

Only bad thing is that I'm wondering about the long term of the rom. He removed all of the older versions and there used to be a bunch of themes you could get the rom in. The current state seems pretty feature complete and stable, so it wouldn't be a huge deal if it wasn't getting updating much more. Sounds like he won't be releasing new versions of this anymore, but will still be in the community so I could see another release if something major came up.

Old 03-22-11, 02:09 PM   #9
zoomy942

Default Re: HTC Droid Eris

Good call. Thats the rub with all these Roms and why i like the xtr line. He updates it here and there, but it mainly a stock rom, just optimized, so no updates are really needed.

current battery... unplugged at 7am - 90% battery left - been using it like normal (emails, texts, calls)
Old 03-23-11, 03:33 AM   #10
sTechnical

The battery life sucks, first of all. It can't last a day with out being charged, even with a minuscule number of phone calls. That's compared to my EnV, which has lasted a month without charging. Clicking the exact thing on the phone you want is extremely hard, and it freezes and lags quite often. It gives me a terrible time unlocking it for calls, so I miss them all the time. Also, it crashed today. I lost all my pictures, ring-tones, and contacts...
i dont like this phone at all..
thanks.......
Old 03-23-11, 10:51 AM   #11
zoomy942

Have you tried out some of the other ROM's?

Becuase the stock software sucks something awful
Old 03-23-11, 05:40 PM   #12
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
It's the first thread on the 2nd page. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=824160

Only bad thing is that I'm wondering about the long term of the rom. He removed all of the older versions and there used to be a bunch of themes you could get the rom in. The current state seems pretty feature complete and stable, so it wouldn't be a huge deal if it wasn't getting updating much more. Sounds like he won't be releasing new versions of this anymore, but will still be in the community so I could see another release if something major came up.
So I have installed a vanilla Froyo and a vanilla Gingerbread...

GB was okay but too slow.

I really liked the Froyo... wow! It was very very fast and I left feeling very impressed. However, I will admit that I love the Sense interface so I'm hoping a Froyo Sense based rom will be available. There are some now, but they are not very stable or they are missing features.

I'm going to try the vanilla Froyo for a day or 2, but I bet I'll be back to the xtrSense before too long.