mojoman0

Default Re: Official Crysis 2 Feedback Thread

Currently an 88 at metacritic. Pretty dang good

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/crysis-2
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 05:23 PM   #14
Rummy

Well I just got to the level Gate Keepers. The graphics are not on par with Crysis 1 of course but the game play is very fun. A lot of action sequences as well and I am enjoying the game thus far. Graphics aren't everything. The game runs smooth on extreme. Have not tweaked the cfg will look into that now.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 05:27 PM   #15
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
Wow, for PC gamers you guys are real hypocritical. If it was PC only you would buy day 1.

But if multi platform... Forget it. I will personally enjoy it today once finished from steam.
Comparing crysis to crysis 2 you can clearly see what multiplatform development does to a decent game. Everything I listed are issues introduced in second game, most likely caused by multiplatform dumbed down development.

Issues are:

1) Little to no configurable graphics (compared to crysis, crysis 2 has little to know configurable graphics)
2) No DX10 or 11 on launch? (Again DX10 was part of the first game)
3) COD-like MP (does every MP game need to play like COD?)
4) lowered visuals (again why does second game look worse than first?)

I agree that graphics are not everything; i still like to play old Doom, but why go backwards? I regress in progress?

This seems like another DA2 case, remove parts of game, dumb it down a bit (in DA2 case: A LOT) basically 1 step forward, 3 steps back, just to appeal to larger mass market crowd that doesn't give a flying **** about a game, will play the game for less then a month and then forget it even existed.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:31 PM   #16
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!

I don't get the graphics concerns. I'm no Crysis fan (hated the slow gameplay in the first, never bothered to finish the story), but I think the game looks great in motion... What exactly makes you guys think it looks worse than the first?

And lol about the dx10/dx11 thing. if it looks good, it doesn't matter what API it uses.
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:48 PM   #17
wysiwyg

i did think it was fact though wasnt it that crytek said PC would get enhanced DX10+ features didnt they?
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:53 PM   #18
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
Wow, for PC gamers you guys are real hypocritical. If it was PC only you would buy day 1.

But if multi platform... Forget it. I will personally enjoy it today once finished from steam.
It's a console port. Sorry I'm not more excited than I am. They told us we were going to get an amazing game from them, and it's turned out to be less than stellar. As of right now, it seems like Crysis is still better graphics wise.

Blame EA. They pushed out an unfinished product as usual.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:03 PM   #19
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

I'm having technical problems starting my copy off Steam
After downloading and installing Crysis 2 I get the pop up message:
"Game is currently unavailable, please try back later"
and the game will not start.
Also, AVG is calling crysis2.exe a virus...... wth?

Very frustrating and annoying...
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX760SC | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:26 PM   #20
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
I don't get the graphics concerns. I'm no Crysis fan (hated the slow gameplay in the first, never bothered to finish the story), but I think the game looks great in motion... What exactly makes you guys think it looks worse than the first?

And lol about the dx10/dx11 thing. if it looks good, it doesn't matter what API it uses.
I quite agree with You. Gameplay is what matter most. But in this case they should at least include and Eye bending mode for modders and hardcore pc gamers... which isnt only higher res and textures than consoles.

Anyway. I think it looks way better in motion and action. Explosions looks and sounds great. Its a bit dumbed down in complexity vs crysis1(which is kinda even allright in some way) but holy ****!!! I dont give an ass if Crysis1 CAN look better or whatever. This "console port" sure looks jaw dropping for me and works faster than first game. just WOOOW
I think it is in some areas better game than Crysis1 and in some only equal. So hows that bad?

And I find all the comparsion of modded Crysis1 with downsampled 3fps images a bit unfair Also considering that there is no dx10/11 and mods for C2 YET
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-11, 08:50 PM   #21
Rummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiN View Post
I'm having technical problems starting my copy off Steam
After downloading and installing Crysis 2 I get the pop up message:
"Game is currently unavailable, please try back later"
and the game will not start.
Also, AVG is calling crysis2.exe a virus...... wth?

Very frustrating and annoying...
Disable the real time component of your antivirus (AVG).
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:54 PM   #22
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Wow, it's launch day and at almost 8pm I'm replying to a thread with 21 posts in it. That's gotta be something like 8% of what there was on launch day for Crysis.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear from Crytek that C2 sales on PC are extremely low (then of course there will be the piracy statement) and therefore there will be no DX10, no DX11, no patches for the PC at all.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:59 PM   #23
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox View Post
Wow, it's launch day and at almost 8pm I'm replying to a thread with 21 posts in it. That's gotta be something like 8% of what there was on launch day for Crysis.

Wouldn't surprise me to hear from Crytek that C2 sales on PC are extremely low (then of course there will be the piracy statement) and therefore there will be no DX10, no DX11, no patches for the PC at all.
Doesn't bother me. If they can't be bothered to make a true successor to one of the most infamous video card burning games of all time, I can't be bothered to buy it from them. The point of the original Crysis was to push technology to insane levels, and it accomplished that task easily. Crysis 2 doesn't.

Crytek is a sellout company now. They're just in it for the profits. They could care less if their actual fan base approves or not.

I bought Far Cry on launch day, and it rocked. I bought Crysis on launch day, and it really rocked. I won't be buying this game until it achieves a price that's worth it.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 09:04 PM   #24
brady
I'm like everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
What exactly makes you guys think it looks worse than the first?
I've only played the game at the Extreme setting (the highest setting). Compared to Crysis 1's highest native settings, Crysis 2 appears to exhibit...

1. more pop-in
2. a poorer shadow LOD
3. no parallax mapping
4. lower texture resolution
5. only a single in-engine AA implementation (compare Crysis 2's AA to, say, 8xQAA + 4x TrSSAA in Crysis 1)
6. a less dynamic game world (read: less real time physics and non-scripted destructibles)

It's a fun enough game and all, but, sorry Crytek, your first game simply looks better on my hardware. There's just no getting around it. I'm sure there are lots of interesting code optimizations in CE3, but, honestly, it looks to me like what's really driving the better performance in Crysis 2 as compared to Crysis 1 is that they've simply turned off or removed features that were on and in the first game.

I can't wait for CE4. Hopefully we'll have even better performance. My suggestions to Crytek are the following:

1. Only have a single graphics setting. Call it, I don't know, 'Ultra Extreme' or something like that.
2. Remove AA altogether. Jagged edges aren't that bad.
3. Move away from a completely dynamic lighting solution. Lots of modern and profitable games still use prebaking.
4. Remove physics. Really it's just about shooting enemies and watching scripted events.
5. Remove the player model. Do we really need to be able to see our legs and feet when we look down? Getting rid of the player model will reduce the number of polys in the scene and yield some performance.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. These sacrifices can be masked by increasing motion blur, DOF, bloom, and glare effects. Marketers have known this for years, but apparently if you flash enough shiny lights in a persons face you can pretty much get them to accept anything you present to them. Maybe by CE6 or 7 we'll be running the latest Crytek game at many thousands of frames per second. This, of course, will be accomplished by reducing the geometry to merely the walls of dungeon we'll get to explore and by replacing everything else in the game world, including enemies, with low resolution sprites.

C2D @ 3.0GHz | GA-P35-DS3L | 4GB DDR2 | HIS AMD 6990 4GB | OS X Lion 10.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64
brady is offline   Reply With Quote