Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Mobile Devices And Smartphones

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-23-11, 06:08 PM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: HT Droid Eris

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
So I have installed a vanilla Froyo and a vanilla Gingerbread...

GB was okay but too slow.

I really liked the Froyo... wow! It was very very fast and I left feeling very impressed. However, I will admit that I love the Sense interface so I'm hoping a Froyo Sense based rom will be available. There are some now, but they are not very stable or they are missing features.

I'm going to try the vanilla Froyo for a day or 2, but I bet I'll be back to the xtrSense before too long.
That's really strange. Froyo for the D1 was a disgrace after a few days of use, but GB has been a godsend. Glad you are doing some testing instead of running with crappy stock.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 06:24 PM   #14
ViN86

Default Re: HTC Droid Eris

What do you guys use to root the device? I would like to root my girlfriend's so I can get her free wireless tethering.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 06:39 PM   #15
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
What do you guys use to root the device? I would like to root my girlfriend's so I can get her free wireless tethering.
You talking about rooting the Eris?
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 06:46 PM   #16
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
If it's an ERIS they have a 1 click root. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=742228

All the guy asks is that if you use it and like it, support some type of youth outreach or make a donation. (Honor system)

Works very well and the script even does a backup for you in case you need to roll it back. I found it in the nandroid folder when I was making a backup for XTRSense.

If it's another phone just cruise around XDA. Lots of good info and all of the more popular phones usually have a very simply rooting process.

Also it's definitely worth checking out the rollup thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756775

It basically has everything you'd need to accomplish backing the phone up, changing roms, rooting, and links to quite a few ROMs. There is also a detailed way to root the phone if you prefer to get your hands dirty.

If you want to take a stock phone and load a rom to it, you'd need to do the following steps.

1. root the phone
2. flash amon recovery
3. make a nandroid backup
4. download and install your rom
5. ???
6. Profit
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 07:51 PM   #17
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
If it's an ERIS they have a 1 click root. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=742228

All the guy asks is that if you use it and like it, support some type of youth outreach or make a donation. (Honor system)

Works very well and the script even does a backup for you in case you need to roll it back. I found it in the nandroid folder when I was making a backup for XTRSense.

If it's another phone just cruise around XDA. Lots of good info and all of the more popular phones usually have a very simply rooting process.

Also it's definitely worth checking out the rollup thread. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=756775

It basically has everything you'd need to accomplish backing the phone up, changing roms, rooting, and links to quite a few ROMs. There is also a detailed way to root the phone if you prefer to get your hands dirty.

If you want to take a stock phone and load a rom to it, you'd need to do the following steps.

1. root the phone
2. flash amon recovery
3. make a nandroid backup
4. download and install your rom
5. ???
6. Profit
I used the One Click Root program for my D1, but I had to manually download ClockWork from the market to get recovery mode/Nandroid to work properly. Nandroid is a godsend btw. Backups of your entire device in 5 mins or less.
Old 03-24-11, 02:28 PM   #18
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
Good call. Thats the rub with all these Roms and why i like the xtr line. He updates it here and there, but it mainly a stock rom, just optimized, so no updates are really needed.

current battery... unplugged at 7am - 90% battery left - been using it like normal (emails, texts, calls)
Loading XTRSense seems to have made a huge difference. Just got told that the battery lasted 36 hours with a couple hours of phone calls. I don't think it would have lasted 24 hours before if the phone was used for that long. See how it holds up after a longer period but so far so good.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 02:44 PM   #19
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm View Post
I used the One Click Root program for my D1, but I had to manually download ClockWork from the market to get recovery mode/Nandroid to work properly. Nandroid is a godsend btw. Backups of your entire device in 5 mins or less.
Titanium Backup is the best backup software for the 'droid. Period.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 02:47 PM   #20
six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Titanium Backup is the best backup software for the 'droid. Period.
I haven't been able to get that app to backup stuff properly like Nandroid. Doesn't Titanium only backups apps and not the whole phone?

Old 03-24-11, 04:21 PM   #21
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
Loading XTRSense seems to have made a huge difference. Just got told that the battery lasted 36 hours with a couple hours of phone calls. I don't think it would have lasted 24 hours before if the phone was used for that long. See how it holds up after a longer period but so far so good.
That's fantastic!!

I'm really glad it's working well for you!

On mine, I enabled JIT and settled on 160/710 for my CPU settings. Great speed and great battery life. It makes the Eris more than usable.

I'm excited!

I tried froyo and Gingerbread, and Sense brings me back. Stock android is awfully unattractive.
Old 03-25-11, 09:10 AM   #22
zoomy942

Now I am trying 160/748. With JIT off and the cache heapsize at 48mb instead of the stock 24.
Old 03-26-11, 11:54 AM   #23
zoomy942

Okay so I am back to jit on and 160/748.

It's been running great and lag free. Seriously a great device once it's rooted.
Old 03-26-11, 09:54 PM   #24
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

I love it when you talk dirty zoomy.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote