Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-03, 09:13 AM   #61
The Baron

Quote:
Another thing to prove my point is that some audiophiles actually prefer vinyl records as opposed to compact discs. Whereas, most people cannot appreciate the difference. Myself included, by the way.
a lot of it depends on the music you're listening to. classical music on CD? IT SUCKS. period. exclamation point. quack. why? there's no dynamic range. listen to a CD of something, then listen to an SACD or DVD-Audio form of the same thing. the second sounds infinitely more realistic--therefore, it has better sound quality. the difference between vinyl and CDs is less definite, though. depends on two things--the quality of the record and the quality of the record player. if you spend $2000 on a record player and keep your records immaculately clean (or you get one of those laser record players...), LPs will sound better than CDs.

better sound quality = more realism. maybe you don't LIKE it as much, but who cares what you think--if it's a closer approximation to reality, it's better sound quality. period. so, maybe you LIKE the sound you hear from your sound card or computer speakers, but I can assure you that it is a poor approximation of reality (and don't get me %*(#*! started on the trash that is EAX--"LOOK AT ME MA! I FOUND THE REVERB BUTTON!"). so, yes, it is possible for your opinion of what is better sound quality to be wrong. your opinion on what is, to you, more enjoyable or more listenable sound, on the other hand, is strictly your opinion.
Old 12-01-03, 11:28 PM   #62
Rogozhin

"Clean" and well recorded LPs on a $2000 table (corectly adjusted) with a "great" cartridge, with a wonderful phono stage will sound better than a CD every single time regardless of the type of music-that is not subjective.

rogo
Rogozhin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 01:02 PM   #63
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally posted by Sotos

I guess you are not a "Fanatic gamer" or maybe you do not play games so much so that's why you say that...
Quick! Imply he has a small penis!

Edit: I agree with NIN, it really is too much like a shooting gallery. I had fun playing it but I just would have liked it even more if you got a satisfying "ping" noise every time you hit sombody
Old 12-02-03, 01:46 PM   #64
Clay

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Quick! Imply he has a small penis!

Edit: I agree with NIN, it really is too much like a shooting gallery. I had fun playing it but I just would have liked it even more if you got a satisfying "ping" noise every time you hit sombody
Hey what's the big idea with you actually posting about the topic of this thread???

Okay, I've heard a lot of this "shooting gallery" comparison with CoD. I'll admit that I can see that to a degree. However, I'd like to know what people would change in CoD to "improve" it in their minds. Personally, I really like CoD and I'm very picky about games lately. I'm having a blast with it so far and I'm just in the trenches where you set explosives on the gun placements.

CoD reminds me a lot of Ghost Recon but without the micromanagement of directing your group members. It's a much faster pace than Ghost Recon too. I dunno, seems like if you were actually fighting in battles during WWII that, at times, it would be somewhat like a shooting gallery. I've never been in the military though so I really have no clue. At any rate, it's amazing what they've done with the Quake III engine and the attention to detail is impressive (all of the vegetation, grass, etc is cool). I like how you can go from hand to hand combat, suppression fire, precision firing, sniper firing, use of grenades, etc through most every level (so far) and have a real use/need for each approach.
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 01:52 PM   #65
vampireuk
**** Holster

The enemy should behave like the squad you use, they group together which makes them easy targets. Also when they have cover they end up exposing theirselves which makes no sense.

I bonus level where they all become ducks moving backwards and forwards would be fun
Old 12-02-03, 01:58 PM   #66
Clay

Hmm. I suppose I need to play it some more. So far the enemy AI seems to take cover pretty well...granted, however, that they do expose themselves eventually. I guess if they didn't though you'd quickly come to a stalemate...or you'd just have to slither over towards them and melee attack them.

Ooohhh...ducks...and...barrels....I need to dig out my old copy of "Hogan's Ally" for the original NES!!!!
Clay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-03, 03:42 PM   #67
vampireuk
**** Holster

On the Brits levels (best btw) has anyone noticed the music on the bridge level in the daytime, I mean there you are blasting enemies into the air and destroying tanks with a 88 and in the background you have some uplifting Band of Brothers type thing going on

That Major kicked ass, you run into the prison cell and he is already strangling his gaurd
Old 12-02-03, 04:50 PM   #68
de><ta
prodigy

The only thing which I hated about that bridge level is that I accidently kept killing my own team. And the music I reckon throws you off, like you hear that nice victory tone and you feel as if it is all over then you hear some kraut yell something you look down and it is a freaking potatomasher near your feet... that alone killed me about 4 times during the 30second mark.

I dont know if it is scripted, but on the level where you ambush the concentration camp to rescue the Major, when you are reloading at a certain point, 2 guards come rushing at you from nowhere and the Major just goes bersek hitting both the guards with his rifle and killing them. That bit was freaking cool.

The level where you ride the tank too is cool, running over all those nazi panzerfrust hiding in the bushes. All said and done the first two Russian levels are the best. Especiall when you have to take over Red Square.

Some of the sequences in that game are absolutely breath taking. I absolutely loved the Russian part of the level where those huge as bombers flew right over your head while you are taking extensive gun fire. The sound was *freakin* awesome.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote