Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-24-11, 04:25 PM   #25
grey_1

Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennyboy View Post
I am impressed with the 590GTX, its a smaller package than the 6990 and runs much quieter which is the most important thing to me. But still FTW GTXs 580s in SLI is what I would aim for!

I am also surprised by how many people are calling this card a flop on the net, its a VERY fast card and driver improvements i am sure will make it even better. So the 6990 might be 30 fps faster but who would notice when your over 100fps anyways!? again the noise of a 6990 would do my head in!
I have to agree. The 6990 may be faster by a smidge, but for the 590 to keep up with it at lower clocks, heat and noise...I wouldn't call it a flop either.

I'm still not going to pay 700 bucks for it or the 6990 though.
Old 03-24-11, 04:28 PM   #26
red777star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
It might be a nightmare for people who have an IQ lower than their age.
Sure. Now **** off. Go on.
red777star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 04:34 PM   #27
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Couldn't have been too hellish if you kept it for eight months....

...jussayin....
Idd

I kinda like this card though, it's a cheaper upgrade path for me instead of changing PSU/mobo/cpu/ram + 2 580's or 570's since my mobo doesn't support sli. It does support crossfire though but even with ATI cards i think that would cost as much. Lately though with so many console -> pc ports it just doesn't feel as urgent anymore, no game i play now needs more hardware than i already have. Feels odd since this upgrade cycle each year has been needed even without multiple screens, super high resolutions etc but i can't quite justify an upgrade presently.
Old 03-24-11, 04:45 PM   #28
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

Quote:
Originally Posted by red777star View Post
GTX590 in QUAD SLI is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> QUAD Crossfire. And in real time gaming you guys have no idea how much CCC is crap. They took couple older titles now to test and telling us about AMD performance.

I owned Crossfire HD5870, and it is freaking nightmare. Once i replaced it with GTX470 SLI i actually started gaming after almost 8 months of hell
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 04:55 PM   #29
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy sung View Post
Idd

I kinda like this card though, it's a cheaper upgrade path for me instead of changing PSU/mobo/cpu/ram + 2 580's or 570's since my mobo doesn't support sli. It does support crossfire though but even with ATI cards i think that would cost as much. Lately though with so many console -> pc ports it just doesn't feel as urgent anymore, no game i play now needs more hardware than i already have. Feels odd since this upgrade cycle each year has been needed even without multiple screens, super high resolutions etc but i can't quite justify an upgrade presently.
My board is crossfire only too, but my single (silent ) GTX480 is still doing just fine. Feels kind of good to get off that vicious upgrade cycle for a while.
Old 03-24-11, 05:27 PM   #30
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
If the feature sets were identical between both cards, and I was buying a dual gpu card, I'd buy a 6990 10 times out of 10. The problem is, IMO, Nvidia has a better feature set for their cards, and that would probably push me more towards the 590.
Could you elaborate on this? what about the feature set that makes such a huge difference to you...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 05:35 PM   #31
red777star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
Could you elaborate on this? what about the feature set that makes such a huge difference to you...
I have feeling that Microsoft wont push any new version of DX any time soon. Games are still written around DX9 and i believe we will go through couple more DX11 video card generations. Infact i think that is good because it will benefits us. There are almost no feature difference between AMD and Nvidia cards. However, i love Physx, and some people 3D Gaming. Two area where AMD really lacks. As far as gaming on three screens go, thanks no. Only useful for programming and developing and that would benefit my work.
red777star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 05:42 PM   #32
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI3W2...&feature=feedu

6:00-6:30 is where the good stuff happens. Be sure to take your headphones off first, though.
I wish they did a better job of labelling each card for the noise snippets...
1. What's the card at 6:21?
2. I take it the 6990 is at 6:24?
3. What time stamp is the 590GTX at?

I didn't think the noise would really matter to me, but that noise at 6:24 is ridiculous and probably a deal breaker for me...

On that note is AMD going to address the noise anytime soon? Are there any recommended replacement fans that are a lot quieter?

I'm really trying to decide between the HD 6990 and the GTX 590, but I won't probably buy for another month or two...

Vanz

Old 03-24-11, 05:48 PM   #33
grey_1

Quote:
I wish they did a better job of labelling each card for the noise snippets...
What's the card at 6:21?
I take it the 6990 is at 6:24?
What time stamp is the 590GTX at?

I didn't think the noise would really matter to me, but that noise at 6:24 is ridiculous and probably a deal breaker for me...

On that note is AMD going to address the noise anytime soon? Are there any recommended replacement fans that are a lot quieter?

I'm really trying to decide between the HD 6990 and the GTX 590, but I won't probably buy for another month or two...

Vanz
I bet an accelero xtreme will show up eventually for the 6990, maybe even the 590. The one they built for the 5970 was pretty successful.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coo...reme-5970.html
Old 03-24-11, 05:48 PM   #34
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:

Vanz
Why not get a couple 6970's or 570's instead?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 06:09 PM   #35
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Why not get a couple 6970's or 570's instead?
Because in a year or two I might want to get another GTX 590 or HD 6990... although if I don't need to I'd like to stay away from SLI, I owned an SLI setup last time (GTX260 SLI) and it was just a pain in the *ss waiting for driver updates or profiles, plus some games I ran crashed a lot in SLI, turned SLI off and never crashed... not many games but a few... for example, when I first ran Gothic4 on 1 GTX260 I got 26fps, when I setup SLI, I got 17FPS, it took quite a while before the drivers fixed it (finally got it to 40-45 fps)...

What's the GTX590, like $60 more than GTX570 SLI, I'd rather pay the little extra for less hassels and the ability to upgrade later if I need too... I really don't see why you would go with GTX570 SLI at this point...
Old 03-24-11, 06:13 PM   #36
Roadhog
Resident Alien

you know a 590 is sli right?
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote