Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-08-11, 07:51 PM   #1
MaXThReAT

Default The Best PSP Games I Have Ever Played

So I've had my PSP for just over a year now. In that time I have accumulated quite a large library of games. My first PSP games were Assassins Creed and GTA: Liberty City Stories. Both are great games. Around the same time last Christmas I received Grand Turismo, not much can be said, it is thee best racing game on the platform IMO. I've tried Dirt2, NFS Shift, NFS Pro Street, Motor storm, MX vs ATV and NFS Carbon Own the city and nothing comes close to the feeling of Grand Turismo. Dirt2 and NFS Shift are a joke. I do enjoy NFS Carbon though, it's actually pretty fun. I hear NFS:MW also isn't too bad but I haven't had a chance to try it.

Over the past year I picked up Tekken Dark Resurrection, Prince of Persia Rival swords, Socom Fireteam Bravo3. I was really surprised to see such a high end productions on the PSP. Fireteam Bravo has awesome gameplay, great graphics, very well done cut scenes. It's definitely one of my top picks. I just got Tekken 6, it's not a whole lot better than Dark Resurrection just more of the great fighting game that it is. Prince of Persia holds true to the original fighting mechanics and it's loads of fun to play, I have yet to beat it great game though.

Soon after I snagged Tony Hawks Project 8 and Little Big Planet. Neither have I had much of chance to get into. I cheated on Tony Hawk and just unlocked everything with a saved game. I really just skate around and have fun, I've gotten pretty good at the slowmo board tricks. Little Big Planet is well Little Big Planet just shrunk down to a PSP.

So right before Christmas during all the sales I got Wipeout Pulse, MotorStorm Arctic Edge and Ace Combat X2 Joint Assault. The speed and quality of Wipeout Pulse is amazing. It looks a lot like WipeoutHD, it's a classic and a must have for any PSP owner. Arctic Edge is pretty great, the tracks are a sight to behold, fun game. Ace Combat X2 Joint Assault is the best of the three. I don't know how the hell they pull off such great graphics on such a little thing. The terrain textures look amazing for the PSP. I was a huge fan of Ace Combat on the PS one and this game didn’t let me down. I still have the giant dual joystick PS one control. Man that thing was great with Decent. Bottom line Ace Combat X2 Joint Assault is fantastic game and another must have.

This Christmas I asked Santa for God of War: Ghost of Sparta. I ended up getting Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta. I've been playing through Chains of Olympus first. I was really surprised when I walked in on two fine topless ladies that allowed their god to join in with a little sex mini game. I'm about half way through so far. Reminds me a bit of DMC. The boss fights are good and it keeps me entertained. I'm sure Ghost of Sparta is even better; I can't wait to fire it up.

With some of my Christmas money I went and got Silent Hill Shattered Memories, Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker and Syphon Filter Logans Shadow. This game is the reason I started writing all this. I've been a long time fan of the long running series, through their ups and downs. Gameplay, graphics, controls, story, sound everything top notch. I am of course talking about Silent Hill. What a masterpiece. I could not put it down. The one time I had to go to bed I laid there for about a half an hour and got right back up and finished the game. I wasn't expecting much from it and in fact I almost didn't get it but my girlfriend insisted I go ahead and spoil myself…so I did. Not a single gun is fired and not single monster harmed. It's just a fantastic story driven, puzzle filled, psychological thriller with a chilling atmosphere. They had me jumping more than once. The first thing that grabbed me was the graphics. The quality of the textures is amazing for the PSP. Your flashlight is a simple joy to use. The closest game I could compare it to would be Heavy Rain. If you own a PSP and enjoy Silent Hill it is a must have. I understand there are multiple endings as well so I'm defiantly going through again. I suggest looking up some videos or reviews and picking it up. However tonight I'm going ahead and starting Meal Gear Solid. From what I've read I'm sure I will not be disappoint in it. I'm off to do that now.

Honorable Mentions:
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
Rainbow Six - Vegas
UFC2010
Soul Calibur - Broken Destiny
Virtua Tennis 3
NFS Carbon

Games to stay the Hell away from:
Split Second -Do not buy this game it's pure trash!
Dirt2
NFS Shift -it's like they didn't even try.
Army of Two -not what I was expecting, no fun.

If you know of other great PSP games I would love to hear about them, or not.
Evga 280 GTX 621/1349/2268
SB X-Fi FPS / Z-5500 + Buttkicker!

"Don't mind the posts, I've been around longer than most know."

Last edited by MaXThReAT; 01-10-11 at 07:35 AM.
MaXThReAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-11, 03:26 AM   #2
MaXThReAT

Default Re: The Best PSP Games I Have Ever Played

412 views and not a single reply........Wow.

Old 02-10-11, 10:03 AM   #3
Starscream
Decepticook

There's good PSP games!?!??!?

I keed.
Old 02-10-11, 03:59 PM   #4
Ninja Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXThReAT View Post
412 views and not a single reply........Wow.
Probably about the ratio of people who own PSPs, 412 to 1.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 07:57 PM   #5
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

yeah the god of war games are pretty good. I've played about an hour into each one but honestly, I bought my PSP to play emulators..

best game I've played on PSP is Chrono Trigger
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 06:17 PM   #6
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I'd strongly recommend Ys: The Oath in Felghana if you get a chance. It's an extremely fun and replayable action RPG ported from the PC version which came out years ago (which I own and love). The game is a remake of Ys 3: Wanderers from Ys if anyone is familiar with the series. It's infinitely better than the original game though. Lots of difficulty options, extremely fun boss fights, and one of the best game soundtracks ever.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-11, 09:10 PM   #7
MaXThReAT

I'm familiar with the Ys series. I found a copy of Ys The Ark of Naptishm and Ys Seven but can't find Oath in Felghana. I'll keep a look out for it. I'm always up for a good RPG. I ended up not really getting into Meal Gear Solid. It just moved to slow or something. I'm currently playing through FF VII Crisis Core, I'm a little over ten hours in, level 22. I haven't played a FF game since FF VII on the PS2. Anyway Crisis Core is a great game too.

I've actually gone quite mad buying PSP games over the past two months, it's not like I'm spending my money on PC games, LOL. I picked up Mortal Kombat Unchained, Ridge Racers 2, Free Running, Fading Shadows, No Gravity The Plague of Mind, COD Roads to Victory, MOH Heroes 2, MLB11 The Show and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2009.

Free Running is a parkour game a.k.a. Mirrors Edge but in a third person view. It's much harder than Mirrors Edge, complicated controls. It's like a Tony Hawk game world without the skateboard, pretty sweet.
Fading Shadows is a puzzle game where you move balls around with a beam of light. It doesn't sound too great but its fun and challenging. It has great graphics too for this type of game, DOF and everything.
No Gravity The Plague of Mind is a Wing Commander/Freespace type of game. I haven't got to play it much yet but I wasn't disappointed with the first few missions. It seems like it's going to be a kind of thin game/story but its still awesome just for being a space combat sim.
The others I'm sure you've all heard of, they are good and I would recommend them. I'm running some emulators too, NES, SNES, Sega and Sega CD. I pretty much have every US game ever made for the SNES and Sega Genesis on my PSP right now, over 2k games. I swap my favorite Sega CD games in and out because they take up so much space. It's a blast playing Night Trap on such a small screen or Slipheed, Ground Zero Texas. I miss FMV games.

Old 03-25-11, 08:33 AM   #8
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

http://www.amazon.com/YS-Oath-Felgha.../dp/B003U3UXUQ

Here for $19.99, frankly that's an amazing deal.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410

Old 04-01-11, 08:26 AM   #9
MaXThReAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
http://www.amazon.com/YS-Oath-Felgha.../dp/B003U3UXUQ

Here for $19.99, frankly that's an amazing deal.
Just arrived last night, I'll let you know how I like it. Thanks man.

Old 04-01-11, 08:35 AM   #10
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Cool hope you enjoy it. I never get sick of that game. Interesting factoid, the guy who did the English patch translation for the PC version was actually hired to help with the Xseed localization, and I can assure you the translation is top-notch. There's voice acting in the PSP version though so I can't comment on that.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Old 04-20-11, 03:02 PM   #11
winton

Send a message via AIM to winton

What no mention of Disgaea 1 and 2? Lunar Silver Star Story, Jean D'arc (however its spelled), Final Fantasy Tactics? Blasphemy!!
winton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 03:04 PM   #12
winton

Send a message via AIM to winton

I'll probably pick up Tactics Ogre today. PSP/PS3 games are nice when you have a baby strapped to your chest......
winton is offline   Reply With Quote