Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-25-11, 03:13 AM   #49
Muppet

Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AK]Zip View Post
Pass. I will be waiting to see what next gen brings before I even consider upgrading.
What you already have is plenty fast enough for anything that is out at the moment.
Asus Rampage IV Extreme Black Edition | Intel 4930k | SS Phasechange | 16GB Corsair Platinum DDR3 1866 | Asus GTX680 x2 SLI | Corsair AX1200 Watt PSU | Lian-Li PC-8NWX | Intel 520 120Gb SSD x2 | Samsung S27A950D 27" 120Hz | HP ZR24w 24" S-IPS x3 Nvidia Surround @6000x1200 | Xonar Essence STX
Muppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 05:07 AM   #50
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by [AK]Zip View Post
Pass. I will be waiting to see what next gen brings before I even consider upgrading.
Keppler which is upgrade to fermi and should come this year or Maxwell which is next gen and should come in 2013?
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:49 AM   #51
Ancient76
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

As expected, GTX 590 is better product.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Core 2 Duo E8400 4.2GHz / Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
Asus P5Q Pro
Kingston DDR2 / 2x2GB
MSI 5850 Twin Frozr II
ASUS 22" VW220T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA II
Corsair HX620W
Sharkoon Rebel 9
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 07:55 AM   #52
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post

As expected, GTX 590 is better product.
Because if one reviewer says it, it has to be true.

I'm just having a hard time swallowing that something that is "slower" could be considered the better product. By that measure, the HD 5870 was a "better product" (ran cooler, was quieter, used less power, support for 3/6 monitors on one card, etc.) than the GTX 480, but no one on these forums agreed with me on that. Everybody sang praises of the GTX 480's immense power, and ironically, higher price tag. Then there's the HD 5970, which was quieter and used less power than the GTX 480. The 5970 was easily beating the GTX 480 by 50-70% performance. The 5970 WAS the better product.

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical here, but seriously, you guys need to figure out what your criteria is for "better." It's an nvidia product, so obviously, we're going to like it IF it's a good product. However, @ $700, call me skeptical on weather this is actually worth the money or not.

If the GTX 590 had matched the HD 6990 in performance AND the GTX 590 was the quieter solution, then I would have agreed that the GTX 590 is the superior product. However, as it stands, it's sort of hard for me to believe that the superior product is actually slower AND rings in at the same price as a more powerful video card. I think Nvidia has gotten a little bit too high and mighty this time around.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 08:34 AM   #53
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Because if one reviewer says it, it has to be true.

I'm just having a hard time swallowing that something that is "slower" could be considered the better product. By that measure, the HD 5870 was a "better product" (ran cooler, was quieter, used less power, support for 3/6 monitors on one card, etc.) than the GTX 480, but no one on these forums agreed with me on that. Everybody sang praises of the GTX 480's immense power, and ironically, higher price tag.

Sorry if I sound a bit cynical here, but seriously, you guys need to figure out what your criteria is for "better." It's an nvidia product, so obviously, we're going to like it IF it's a good product. However, @ $700, call me skeptical on weather this is actually worth the money or not.
In all honesty Madpistol, what do you expect ? This is a nvidia fan forum so naturally a lot of people will have greentinted glasses on. I find it odd that you somehow are surprised by this, you've been here long enough now so you should know this by now. I like some of the features with the 590, to me less noise is positive and if i had a 1080P panel it would have been an interesting card for me, the 6990 pretty much spanks it at resolutions above 1080p but they're more or less equal at less. I have no plans of buying either though but then again the absolute fastest doesn't matter to me hence the 470 i use at the moment. No game i play runs bad enough to warrant an upgrade but if it did i'd buy the 580 instead.
Old 03-25-11, 08:59 AM   #54
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy sung View Post
In all honesty Madpistol, what do you expect ? This is a nvidia fan forum so naturally a lot of people will have greentinted glasses on. I find it odd that you somehow are surprised by this, you've been here long enough now so you should know this by now. I like some of the features with the 590, to me less noise is positive and if i had a 1080P panel it would have been an interesting card for me, the 6990 pretty much spanks it at resolutions above 1080p but they're more or less equal at less. I have no plans of buying either though but then again the absolute fastest doesn't matter to me hence the 470 i use at the moment. No game i play runs bad enough to warrant an upgrade but if it did i'd buy the 580 instead.
This is true, and I agree. It is an nvidia fansite, and I respect that. I just wish people were indifferent when it came to picking the "best solution." In this case, both solutions have drawbacks (6990: noise, GTX 590: it's slower), which is why I find it a little hard to swallow that everyone immediately announced the GTX 590 as the winner.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 10:08 AM   #55
sammy sung

Quote:
This is true, and I agree. It is an nvidia fansite, and I respect that. I just wish people were indifferent when it came to picking the "best solution." In this case, both solutions have drawbacks (6990: noise, GTX 590: it's slower), which is why I find it a little hard to swallow that everyone immediately announced the GTX 590 as the winner.
Yea but there's more to it aswell, i have limited experience with ATI, i've had just one card and that was a 850 xt. Nvidia feels more familiar and if i were to choose a multi gpu sollution that familiarity would mean more to me than 5-10% better performance in a resolution i don't even use. Technically the best sollution for me would be 2x6950's since my mobo supports crossfire but i still wouldn't get that, i would go for the 590 because of my limited ATI experience. I agree about the double standards of sorts but the same way that 480 buyers here said that the heat and noise was a non issue i am sure the same is said about the 6990
in the red camp.
Old 03-25-11, 10:26 AM   #56
DiscipleDOC

Guys, we are not going to turn this thread into a flamefest.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-11, 10:53 AM   #57
Bah!

Thumbs up Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
TechPowerUp review was using 267.71 driver as recomended by Nvivia. So it shouln't be driver issue, at least not the same as with the 267.52 driver in your post.

I wonder a little since when the Nvidia drivers have any problems. After reading many of the red777star post, that's very hard for me to believe. I can mention few others, but why waste time and ink, they know who they are.

Anyway driver included in the released card should not blow it up.

So probably it's just some faulty part hopefully on only few rushed out card without enough testing. Not only my speculation, according to this post by Micutzu at other forum.
You're right, drivers shouldn't melt your cards, but it has happened before, unfortunately. Of course, pushing a 590 to 1.2v is pretty idiotic anyway, you aren't even supposed to do that to a 580. The limit is right around 1.15v.

I guess we will find out as more and more cards get shipped out what the real problem is. A faulty part could certainly be the issue.

Quote:

It goes both ways, though. Some of the most obvious and annoying trolls around here aren't necessarily the Nvidia fanboys, just read the 590 thread in the rumor mill.

And, yes, it's hilarious, or sad, depending on how you look at it, that the same people that were going nuts about how loud the 480 is are now defending the 6990 which is far louder, or that people who trashed the 5870 for being slower are now slurping the 590 and acting like speed doesn't matter when it is clearly slower than the 6990.

It's even funnier when some of the people doing this are the ones calling others fanboys.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 12:12 PM   #58
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppet View Post
It is incredible that Nvidia managed to make this card at all. The same pretty much goes for ATI and there 6990.

I can't believe also that Nvidia managed to beat ATI in the quieter category. I thought that the 590 would be louder that the 6990, I honestly thought there would be no way around that. So that is a massive kudos to Nvidia.

The clocks on the 590 are a bit of a disappointment one has to say though. I was hoping the core clock would be in the high 600's. I guess that is just no possible or the wattage needed would just be to great. It would probably have a big impact on temps as well. So the 6990 is the winner in the performance stakes, which isn't really surprising considering the clocks.

It is great to have competition in the very high end products though, one has to say. So well done to both ATI and Nvidia for making some beastly graphics cards. Now all we really need are some die shrinks. So come on TSMC and Global Foundries. Get your act together. Just imagine how much cooler(literally) and how much faster these cards would have been, had they not been limited to the 40nm process.

Agreed on all points, but i think that the 28nm process will be reserved for different architectures for both companies anyhow, at least when it comes to high end parts, but given the amount of time to get smaller and smaller fab processes ready for high volume production with good yields, which gets longer and longer as the process gets smaller, as it pushes lithography equipement and the materials used in the production of the semi conductors harder(especially around the gates), it's going to be hard for both companies to keep whatever product lineup they have planned for the next several years intact given that one variable alone.

If 28nm makes it by the end of the year, that means we'll have been about 2 1/2 years with the 40 nm process overall, and i'm not taking any bets on when TSMC or global foundries will have the 22nm process ready.....Could be well into 2014 if it's another 2 1/2 years after the 28nm process is out officially by the end of this year.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 12:30 PM   #59
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post

And, yes, it's hilarious, or sad, depending on how you look at it, that the same people that were going nuts about how loud the 480 is are now defending the 6990 which is far louder, or that people who trashed the 5870 for being slower are now slurping the 590 and acting like speed doesn't matter when it is clearly slower than the 6990.

It's even funnier when some of the people doing this are the ones calling others fanboys.

I do agree how funny it is to read how the standards for acceptability change depending on wich brand is the loudest/runs hotter now, and who's stating their opinion, and what their opinion was with previous product releases....

But as far as an overall winner goes, i've seen all the reviews out there and it's too hard to call it really, since both cards trade blows with eachother depending on the game and settings used, and each card has particularly strong titles where the gap gets a little bigger(in the 20% range), but in most cases, they're well within 10% of eachother win or lose...

The good thing about this, is that the competition between 2 products has rarely been this tight in a very long time, and as far as the noise and heat issues are concerned, i think both are still too noisy and run too hot(the standout here is the HD6990), but given that these are 700$ enthusiast cards, it's quite likely that users who buy them will water cool them anyhow and get rid of both those problems in one shot,no matter wich card they pick(i know i would), leaving only the power consumption issue as the main sore point left.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-11, 02:47 PM   #60
Heinz68

TweakTown article about why some of the GTX 590 have gone up in smoke.
Quote:
Some websites have said the issue is isolated to the ForceWare 267.52 drivers, but this isn't true as we only tested on the FW 267.71 driver and ours did die as well when overclocking.

So, there's a few things to note :-

- Do Not increase voltage above 1.05v, even if the option is there to go higher. We've only heard as high as 1.000v has been tested.

- Ideally NVIDIA would prefer you don't increase voltage at all on reference cooling, but have recommended no higher than .963v.

- This doesn't reflect all NVIDIA GTX 590 products, nor the quality. Throwing almost +300mv on any card with air cooling will more than likely compromise the card's health.

- The issue doesn't seem to be related to any particular driver release.

- Do Not increase voltage above 1.05v, even if the option is there to go higher. We've only heard as high as 1.000v has been tested.

If we find some more information we'll update you further, but I think we've covered just about everything.
Read more at TweakTown

------------------------------------------------------------
Core i7 980X EE @ 4316 MHz 1.35V - Corsair Hydro Series H50
ASUS Rampage II Extreme - Corsair Dominator 1600MHz 12GB Triple-Channel
Sapphire HD 6990 - ATI TV Wonder 650 PCIe
Intel X25-M 160GB 34nm G2 SSD - Seagate Barracuda 1TB 32mb
Cosmos S Case - Corsair HX1000W PSU
Pioner Blu-ray Burner 6X BD-R - Westinghouse LVM-37w3, 37inch 1080p
Logitech G25 Racing Wheel - Logitech Cordless RumblePad 2
Sennheiser RS 180 - Windows 7 64-bit Pro
Heinz68 is offline   Reply With Quote