Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-04-11, 11:20 AM   #121
theone123

Default Re: Linux backlight driver

I'm experiencing strange things on Fedora now. I'm on version 0.67 of your script and my Notebook is a VPCCW1S1E. If i try to change the brightness, he turns my screen to an very low level so i can't barely see anything. The problem is also i can't change it back. Will try an older version now!
theone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 01:14 PM   #122
damdim

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone123 View Post
I'm experiencing strange things on Fedora now. I'm on version 0.67 of your script and my Notebook is a VPCCW1S1E. If i try to change the brightness, he turns my screen to an very low level so i can't barely see anything. The problem is also i can't change it back. Will try an older version now!
Create the file /etc/modprobe.d/nvidiabl.conf and paste the following:
Code:
options nvidiabl min=2000 max=127000
damdim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 08:37 PM   #123
theone123

Thanks for your idea damdim, but the problem is different now. If i unload the module and load it with different min max values nothing happens. But if i start the oBacklight script again, it changes my brightness. The problem is i can't change it with the keys. If i now unload the module again and load it with another different values and restart the oBacklight script, it changes my brightness again to another value.

To sum it up: I now have to unload the module and load it with different min max values and then stop and start the oBacklight script. Directly after i started the oBacklight script it suddenly changes my brightness. But i can't change it with my keys.
Old 03-14-11, 03:14 PM   #124
muddenhed
Creator of oBacklight

Hi theone123

I'm the creator of oBacklight and will try to help you utilize the script i created for nvidiabl. It looks like there is 2 different problems that you are experiencing, one with the brightness changes and the other with FN keys.

When it comes to my script have you looked at the document page for the script(http://dev.osource.se/docs/obacklight/), especially the configuration part

What you can do to see what range your values that could work for you is not to start my script but instead put your own values directly into /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness

Do as follows:
- Open a terminal window and enter into admin mode(sudo -i)
- Run the following command start with for example 10 and if nothing happens go upwards until you get an reaction, otherwise if you get a response on 10 go down until you have a satisfactory low value, then do the same upwards until you reach maximum brightness.
Code:
echo "10" > /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
Get back to me with what values you get and we go from there.

/Marcus
muddenhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-11, 02:02 PM   #125
theone123

Ok thanks for your response. Great to get some help from devs. The strange thing is, that on Ubuntu it worked the same way i installed it now. But on Fedora it seems to be different. There was no need to change anything on Ubuntu. Except new versions of nvidiabl doesn't work for me. Version 0.6 worked flawlessly.

I'll give your tip a try!!

Thank you very much!!
Old 03-21-11, 05:22 PM   #126
muddenhed
Creator of oBacklight

Quote:
Ok thanks for your response. Great to get some help from devs. The strange thing is, that on Ubuntu it worked the same way i installed it now. But on Fedora it seems to be different. There was no need to change anything on Ubuntu. Except new versions of nvidiabl doesn't work for me. Version 0.6 worked flawlessly.

I'll give your tip a try!!

Thank you very much!!
I have never used Fedora so i can't say much about it. My script utilize certain acpi events and theese could be different on Fedora.

What you can do is to run acpi_listen in a console window and see what outputs when you push the brightness up and down buttons, when on Fedora.

/Marcus
Old 03-25-11, 09:45 PM   #127
theone123

Ohh thank you very much!!! I was wondering why it didn't work. But then i used acpi_listen and saw, that you entered the values for the vaio model as dell vostro and vice versa. So you must have inverted something. Maybe you could fix this.

Now i am on nvidiabl 0.60 and oBacklight 0.3.7 and everything works quite perfect.
Old 03-26-11, 05:04 AM   #128
muddenhed
Creator of oBacklight

Quote:
Ohh thank you very much!!! I was wondering why it didn't work. But then i used acpi_listen and saw, that you entered the values for the vaio model as dell vostro and vice versa. So you must have inverted something. Maybe you could fix this.

Now i am on nvidiabl 0.60 and oBacklight 0.3.7 and everything works quite perfect.
Glad you got it to work. :-)

Was it in the 0.3.7 version you had to change?

Could you post your computer model, OS and ACPI codes so i can compare with mine, these are for my system.

Code:
ACBU="00000001 00000011"	# ACPI brightness up event
ACBD="00000001 00000010"	# ACPI brightness down event
ACOB="00000081 00000000"	# ACPI brightness on battery event
Im using openSUSE 11.4 on a Sony Vaio VPCCW1S1E

/Marcus

Old 03-27-11, 10:28 AM   #129
theone123

Thats very strange because I also own a Sony VAIO VPCCW1S1E/B.

My lines would be:

ACBU="00000086 00000000"
ACBD="00000087 00000000"
ACOB="00000081 00000000"

These values are exaclty the values you entered for the Dell Vostro 3700. I only had to change the value for ACPI brightness on battery event.
I use the 0.3.7 version of your script. And i also had to make the script LSB conform, to autostart.
Old 03-27-11, 11:13 AM   #130
muddenhed
Creator of oBacklight

Odd indeed, what linux are you running?

You mention LSB conformant, what did you have to do, since it should already by conformant to LSB?

/Marcus
Old 04-11-11, 10:47 AM   #131
theone123

Ok I experienced really strange things now. On Debian my ACPI values for the backlight keys on my keyboard were exactly the same as the values from the Dell Vostro. But now on Ubuntu the keys are actually changed back to the one which stands in the oBacklight script for the VPCCW1S1E.

How is this possible?? The acpi values for the hardware keys have to be the same on every linux operating system, right??? So why did i have the values from Vostro on Debian and the values for VAIO VPCCW1S1E on Ubuntu??

And there's another bug for me in versions of nvidiabl bigger than 0.60. Version 0.60 was the last version that allowed me to control my backlight properly. On versions higher than 0.60 the Screen turns very very dark, so I can't see anything, every time I try to control the backlight with the keys.
Old 04-14-11, 10:25 AM   #132
nicoduv

Hi,

the driver doesn't work for me, my configuration : Vaio VPCF13Z1E (GT 425M) + Xubuntu 11.04 + driver 270.41.03

dmesg | grep nvidiabl :
Code:
[   15.569473] nvidiabl: loading driver version 0.69
[   15.569479] nvidiabl: Sony Corporation - VPCF1 model detected in DMI tables
[   15.569495] nvidiabl: No supported Nvidia graphics adapter found
lspci -nn :
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: nVidia Corporation Device [10de:0df0] (rev a1)
01:00.1 Audio device [0403]: nVidia Corporation GF108 High Definition Audio Controller [10de:0bea] (rev a1)
Thank you in advance for your help
nicoduv is offline   Reply With Quote