Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Crysis

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-11, 11:25 AM   #13
Logical

Default Re: CRYSIS 2 DX11 PATCH TOMORROW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
You have a partially valid point but I think it's more of an honor thing, a standards thing. My POV is if it's not worth me buying it then it's not worth my time invested playing it. If it is worth the time invested in playing it, then it's worth my money. If I don't agree with the current price, I'll wait till it drops to what I believe it should be.

I can't understand the logic- time is far more valuable than money. So a pirate says a game is worthy of their immensley valuable time to play a game, but not worth their money?

Honestly the whole argument of "pirating because it's not worth buying" is nothing more than a lame excuse and an attempt to justify stealing. How can it not be worth the less valuable thing (money) but worth the more valuable thing (time)? The logic does not add up.

Sure, some might say time isn't more valuable then money. To those I'll say they're ignorant and irresponsible and that they do not have their priorities straight.

In which case this could quickly turn into a morality debate but in the end it stands true that such rationale as "it's not worth my money so I pirate it" is nothing more than a feeble attempt to justify and make right and act which by it's very nature is wrong in it's entirety.

Not worth your money? Then it most certainly isn't worth your valuable and precious time- thus do not play it at all.
Good reply Redeemed and i certainly agree, yes i am peeved because Crysis 2 is not the PC game it should of been. I don't justify piracy in anyway but i also can't justify dev's blaming piracy on bad sales when the dev's have created a bad game. It is going to happen we all know that and some people like Lydianknight would just lie down and take it, and flame anyone who has valid points.

Forget about piracy for a minute and know this..Crysis 2 won't do so well because people won't buy a bad game, (or a game that is not what is hould have been).
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 11:27 AM   #14
grey_1

Nice to know that when I do finally buy this it will have dx11 available.

Personally, I can't fault the devs for going where the money is. No money = less to invest on the next title.

My main complaint is with the pricing, petty as that may be. $39 or $49 is less a sore spot, and I think would make up for in volume rather than price per unit.

I'll wind up buying this, but like Redeemed, after it drops to a more "reasonable" pricepoint.
Old 03-27-11, 11:30 AM   #15
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
The simple fact is that if Crysis 2 sold 50 million copies on the PC, the 5 million who pirated it, Crytek would even give a crap about.

The console version was on the torrent sites and was leaked even before the PC version. You simple cannot put an argument up that more people pirate on the PC than the console, both pirate, end of story. The difference is, that developers turn a blind eye to console piracy because they get more sales.

Also, people will buy the game if they plan on playing MP because most games don't even let you play MP without a valid key.
I agree. Piracy is an excuse from devs, BUT they use it to justify that migration at some point in time. Encouraging piracy is just lame and inmature, whoever decides to do it.

Like the vast majority of you, I have all my software legal. If there's something I don't like from reviews or a demo or whatever the method to test that is... I don't buy it. End of the story.

And about MP, yeah... although I can't really make an opinion in that front, as I rarely do MP, except for Half-Life 2 and not now as I don't have a gaming-able PC right now.

But I agree... and hey, that's a good thing. One copy, one network key. Sounds fair enough
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 11:30 AM   #16
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by INear View Post
Aren't the graphics processor in the consoles still dx9 class chips and why it's harder for them to do dx10 and dx11 when doing cross platforms.
Well... I believe they are capable of very limited use of DX10 and 11 if I understand correctly. But it's not worth the performance hit to implement those capabilities... if I understand it correctly.

Ideally they'd have two dev team- a larger one devoted to a DX9/console version and a smaller one devoted to the DX11 version. I see no need for DX10 as it's now irrelevant since we have DX11.

Don't have a DX10 card? Enjoy the amazing framerates from the DX9 version untill you can get a DX11 capable card. And now days, with how cheap they are (Radeon HD5770, Radeon HD 6800 series, GTX460, GTX560ti) there's almost no excuse to not own one.

By the developers doing this we'd get a proper "from-the-ground-up" DX11 PC version, and the DX9/console version would be easy enough to port over to PC.

However having such a large number devs is expensive so this almost never happens. Since BF3 is supposedly from the ground up a DX11/PC first title it'll be interesting to see how that pans out as they'll have to implement DX9 somewhere along the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Crytek developed console version foremost then ported it over to PC. The DX11 patch (if it does see the light of day) wont be anything special like the effects seen in the unigine DX11 benchmark.

The game is based on hardware that is 5 years old and software that is brand new...Cryengine 3 therefore is capable of a hell of a lot more than we saw in Crysis 2.
And with CE3's capabilities I cannot understand this logic. Honestly I think EA rushed them to release sooner rather than later- and pushed the console version heavily. I believe if it were left up to Crytek they'd have Crysis2 just as BF3 is being done- PC first and consoles second. This is contrary to EA's SOP so of course it wouldn't fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
That's the base many devs take to justify migration to the console realm, so the more you complain and think like that, the more you give them a valid reason to abandon PC gaming, so yeah... keep up the 'good' work.

We already know you're up for piracy, so... anything new to say? If not, shut up your <insert your favourite non-respectable word here> mouth

And now, back on topic...

I don't get why all that hate against developers... first people cry about not having DX11 and now we're supposedly getting it, you're crying about not having... DX10??? Hahahahahaha oh, god... tell me that's a joke...

But well... we live in a (relatively) free world, but I think you're getting things wrong... very wrong... Me buying the most expensive graphics card with support for the latest API doesn't necessarily means the developers HAVE TO include that kind of support... Me whining about it 365 days a year doesn't mean I'll get what I want.

And ranting or directing that hate towards the console realm is even more pathetic and inmature... hey, at least they're doing what we're supposed to do... enjoy their games, and not babble about 'OMG this POS doesn't support my GTX 590 SLI setup die developers die!' and similar crap.

Grow the f*** up
Well- it's not just pirating... it's the snobbish-impossible-to-please-fickle attitudes of the most vocal PC gamers. Crytek gave us what we wanted with Crysis 1. A game that was so graphically ahead of the times that even top-end rigs couldn't play it maxed. They went so far as to warn us that upon release NO RIG would be capable of playing it fully maxed out.

The upon release we find out they weren't lying and so many pc gamers bitched and whined and moaned and cried like a bunch of babies it was disgusting. So this time Crytek opts for a heavily optimised Crysis 2 and once again the PC community bitches, whines, moans, and cries like little babies because it isn't stressing our top-dollar rigs like the first one did.

The PC community needs to make up it's collective mind. First they criticize Crytek cause in truth Crysis was just too demanding for the hardware available at the time yet the gamers claimed it was just "unoptimized". Now Crytek makes Crysis 2 very optimise and the gamers scream "it's not the graphics and physics show case Crysis 1 was! WAAAAAH!"

So frikken annoying. The one thing I'm beginning to love about the console crowd is in general I notice a lot less bitching and whining.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 11:33 AM   #17
Sean_W

Crytek must have made a lot of money from Crysis and Far Cry in the first place, otherwise they wouldn't have spend 4 years on making Crysis 2 multi platform.

Crytek a lot of money on the PC, like a lot of big developers but it's all about making more and more, not just being happy with good sales.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 11:37 AM   #18
shteve

Quote:
Yeah for patching in DX11, booo for still using DX9 in the first place and booo that DX10 won't be 'patched' in. The game is a fail for the PC and i hope it gets the award for most pirated game of 2011.

As much as i am against piracy, Crytek deserve that award...money grabbing, console bumming devs to lose.

Rant over
Personally I bought the game as a game, not a tech demo. Crysis does look nice, but the aliens spoilt the game part. In Crysis 2, the graphics are pretty good, and the aliens haven't (so far) made me stop playing. The "dumbed down" controls that having a console approach to development has created, have made for a more fluid gameplay.
Old 03-27-11, 11:39 AM   #19
Logical

Quote:
So frikken annoying. The one thing I'm beginning to love about the console crowd is in general I notice a lot less bitching and whining.
If i had 5 year old hardware pumping out visuals like the ones in Crysis 2 i too would be very happy and not whining. Instead i have 2 year old hardware that would run Crysis 2 near enough identical to the 5 year old console hardware....ofc im pissed. When dev's blog about how they are going to be making the most of todays PC hardware i expect them to fulfill there promises instead of this BS they have passed onto us.

OMG i cant believe im getting flamed in a PC gaming thread forum because i expect more from a PC game...Methinks you guys are getting too easily pleased by todays low quality PC games.
Old 03-27-11, 11:40 AM   #20
shteve

The GTX285 is 3 year old tech

And disagreeing <> flaming

Old 03-27-11, 11:42 AM   #21
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
The GTX285 is 3 year old tech
2 years 2 months to be precise. soz but im closer

Besides...thats how i feel, imagine the guys who have paid for the GTX 580 and Nvidia promoting Crysis 2 as a DX11 game with it...How can anyone justify what Crytek/EA have done is far beyond me...
Old 03-27-11, 11:46 AM   #22
shteve

Quote:
2 years 2 months to be precise. soz but im closer
The 285 is a based on the 280 tech which came out in June 2008. 2 years 9 months. I win.

In fact, the 280 was an update (ok a fairly large one) to the 8800 series from November 2006.
Old 03-27-11, 11:47 AM   #23
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
...and some people like Lydianknight would just lie down and take it, and flame anyone who has valid points.
Yes, I'm going to buy it in the next... 6 months timeframe. So what? For me it's a good game or, to be more precise, looks like a good game. Not like Crysis 1 (but hey, it's MY opinion).

Like grey_1 and other people, I'm not going to pay $60 for a game. I'll get it when it's less pricey. But that doesn't make me going like 'they deserve for the game to be pirated' and crap like that...

If you don't like something, don't buy it or don't play it, but why talking about piracy? It's not only very incorrect, politically speaking, but also the perfect excuse developers are looking for to migrate to the console world or just deliver games with poor content or just not delivering the full experience for a given game (like, for example, the absence of many DLCs from AAA titles like Dead Space 2 or Bioshock 2 or many others, just to name a few).

So, like I said, yeah... keep up the good work
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-11, 11:53 AM   #24
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by shteve View Post
The 285 is a based on the 280 tech which came out in June 2008. 2 years 9 months. I win.
I was talking about my hardware which is GTX 285 and is slightly more powerfull than the GTX 280...and overclocks a lot better too. If you want to go down this road then i shall rephrase it for you...

"I am pissed because Crytek/EA have based a game on console hardware that uses a 7 year old API instead of the nice new fresh DX11 API or the slightly older DX10 API which they promised us".

Hope that clears things up for you m8