Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-11, 10:52 PM   #85
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Same. Still loving my 5870 @ 1920x1200 res. It's still a fantastic gaming card.
That's nice. However, as this thread is about the GTX590, so I thought I'd link to some information about that:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20677
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 01:44 AM   #86
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
That's nice. However, as this thread is about the GTX590, so I thought I'd link to some information about that:

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/20677
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, there are videos on youtube to prove the issue. This problem is very real, regardless of what you may think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tech Report
Such rumors are also an intriguing source of information because so many of 'em seem to be planted by a major, engineering-focused organizationóyou know, a competing firm.
That statement alone is enough to make me discredit this article. Insinuating such a practice is unprofessional by a review site. If you're going to make such an accusation, have good hard evidence to back it up. In this case, there is no evidence of foul play, and therefore, there is no reason to believe that AMD is behind this messy rumor. The death of several GTX 590s so far is, well and truly, Nvidia's fault, and as such, the consumers have every right to balk about it.

Also, the fact that this happened early is not a good sign. It means that if somebody screws up a driver release, just one time, a few GTX 590's will go up in smoke. That's a scary thought for me. It simply proves that improper software can KILL your $700 video card. Does that mean some devious little code monkey on the internet can write a virus that will result in the same outcome as nvidia's botched drivers? I'm no programmer, but if Nvidia can do it accidentally, I would bet that someone out there is smart enough to do it intentionally.

All I know is I won't be recommending the GTX 590 for any reason. The risk, while low, is still there, and that is enough for me to dismiss the card completely. Remember, this isn't the first time that Nvidia has bricked their cards due to a botched driver.

I'm sounding a lot like an AMD fanboy, I know. I don't usually pick sides, but this issue with the GTX 590 is making me a little angry. It would have been passable if the issue had only happened on one card and was the result of a minor hardware defect. Mistakes happen, and computer hardware is far from perfect (I've had to RMA 7 different parts over the last 4 years.) AMD is also imperfect, as my 5870 just got back from RMA. But seriously, Nvidia REALLY needs to get the quality of their drivers under control. AMD may write a few bad drivers that have performance issues, but NONE of them have ever bricked their cards. Nvidia now has 2 drivers floating around on the internet that kill cards. Personally, I'm very unhappy about this.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 07:51 AM   #87
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Wink Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, there are videos on youtube to prove the issue. This problem is very real, regardless of what you may think.



That statement alone is enough to make me discredit this article. Insinuating such a practice is unprofessional by a review site. If you're going to make such an accusation, have good hard evidence to back it up. In this case, there is no evidence of foul play, and therefore, there is no reason to believe that AMD is behind this messy rumor. The death of several GTX 590s so far is, well and truly, Nvidia's fault, and as such, the consumers have every right to balk about it.

Also, the fact that this happened early is not a good sign. It means that if somebody screws up a driver release, just one time, a few GTX 590's will go up in smoke. That's a scary thought for me. It simply proves that improper software can KILL your $700 video card. Does that mean some devious little code monkey on the internet can write a virus that will result in the same outcome as nvidia's botched drivers? I'm no programmer, but if Nvidia can do it accidentally, I would bet that someone out there is smart enough to do it intentionally.

All I know is I won't be recommending the GTX 590 for any reason. The risk, while low, is still there, and that is enough for me to dismiss the card completely. Remember, this isn't the first time that Nvidia has bricked their cards due to a botched driver.

I'm sounding a lot like an AMD fanboy, I know. I don't usually pick sides, but this issue with the GTX 590 is making me a little angry. It would have been passable if the issue had only happened on one card and was the result of a minor hardware defect. Mistakes happen, and computer hardware is far from perfect (I've had to RMA 7 different parts over the last 4 years.) AMD is also imperfect, as my 5870 just got back from RMA. But seriously, Nvidia REALLY needs to get the quality of their drivers under control. AMD may write a few bad drivers that have performance issues, but NONE of them have ever bricked their cards. Nvidia now has 2 drivers floating around on the internet that kill cards. Personally, I'm very unhappy about this.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Ha...tilles/18.html
Quote:
the HD 6990 died on us. At the time of it's demise the card was set at the stock 830MHz setting and the BIOS switch was in the default position. The fact that it died could have been that we tested the graphics card at both the 375W and 450W settings, but since the review we have left the settings at default level.

Presently this leaves Neoseeker without a HD 6990 for future testing. AMD will not warranty the card so we are left with no choice but to reach out to their partners to see if we can get a sample.
Apparently the 6990 has some issues surviving the overvolting switch ATi put on the card, but will void your warranty for using.

As far as Scott Wasson goes, check out his blog on the site in regard to the GTX480. Back then I was the "corporate influence" he was referring to on the forums, he ended up banning me from his forums. He didn't ban me for violating TOS, he banned me for my association with NVIDIA. Point being Wasson isn't a NVIDIA fanboy out to make them look good at any cost, he says and does plenty I disagree with. However, I've always thought Tech Report was one of the best review sites on the web.

Here's his "anti ATi" conclusion in the 6990 review:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20537/12

Quote:
Of course, both of these changes benefit the Radeon HD 6990, which has no equal in a single-card package. This is the planet's fastest single video card, supplanting the Radeon HD 5970 that came before it.
Quote:
At present, in the suite of games we tested, AMD looks to have a performance advantage at several key price points.
In short, I don't think Wasson is working on NVIDIA's behalf as you imply.

Last, NVIDIA has literally sold 1000s of GTX590s. They're selling out at vendors like newegg as fast as they can be supplied. Yes, a handful of reviewers managed to destroy their review copy with pre-release drivers and high levels of overvolting. I just linked to a reviewer who apparently destroyed their 6990 by overvolting it. It's a fact of life cards can be damaged by running more power through them than they are designed for. That's why AMD vendors don't warranty card the AUSUM switch has been used on.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 09:33 AM   #88
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Apparently the 6990 has some issues surviving the overvolting switch ATi put on the card, but will void your warranty for using.
That's why you buy XFX which gives you a lifetime warranty AND lets you flip the switch under warranty. Also, nothing can protect a video card from gross negligence. However, AMD has not bricked any video cards based on faulty drivers.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I would not purchase the GTX 590 because overall, it's slower and there's a chance that it will die from faulty drivers. Also, I won't purchase the HD 6990 either due to the noise pollution it produces. So in my opinion, neither card wins.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 12:49 PM   #89
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Nvidia admits there is a problem...

http://www.kitguru.net/components/gr...ir-reputation/
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 01:34 PM   #90
Fotis
Radeforce GTX7970
 
Fotis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Greece
Posts: 1,350
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

When Nvidia does not warranty overvolting its cards I fail to see the problem.
__________________
Intel Core i7 4770K|Thermalright True Spirit 120|Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC|2x8GB Kingston DDR3 2400MHz|Evga Geforce 780Ti SC 3GB|Samsung SSD 830 256GB|Seagate Ext. 2TB eSata|Corsair AX1200i PSU|Microsoft Wireless Laser Desktop 7000|AKASA Eclipse 62 case|Dell UltraSharp U2412M| Windows 8.1 Pro
Fotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 06:07 PM   #91
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotis View Post
When Nvidia does not warranty overvolting its cards I fail to see the problem.
You are correct.

The SWEClocker guys/others hacked the registry to allow higher overvoltage than would have been allowed by the cards, and did not use anything to compensate for higher temps like water cooling.

Then they post videos "Look- we're the world's worst OCers and managed to blow up this card!"

newegg sells 8 brands of 6990s, and you can buy seven of them right now if you like- all of the brands that will not warrant the overvoltage OC flipping the AUSUM switch provides. So basically XFX is figuring they'll take the higher sales and hope returns of burned cards won't exceed profits.

7/8 ATi vendors won't warranty you overvolting their card either, mainly because it damages cards.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 07:01 PM   #92
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

At least you can buy the 6990's. I don't see the problem with the warranty. Those 7/8 more than likely won't cover a card if you kill it from overclocking either. It's the same as the older GTR's launch control switch. You use it, warranty void.

EVGA/ASUS also don't warranty 590's either if you adjust the voltage out of spec.

Also, the sweclockers 590 was only at.. "GPU VCore @ 1,025 V". It's obvious right now that any voltage change in the 590 will kill it. Which is kind of pathetic that the power regulation is running right at the very limit. Nvidia says that the max voltage you can add is 25mv... Which is pretty much nothing.

Keep digging Rollo, you might hit solid ground eventually.

also, LOL
http://fudzilla.com/graphics/item/22...ood-no-changes
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-11, 07:13 PM   #93
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

TBH Roadie, it doesn't really matter what you or I say.

I spoke to some friends at NVIDIA about the 590s and they're selling 1000s, literally all they can make.

Guess people aren't as concerned about the fact some guys were able to destroy their cards as you seem to think.

Better luck next time.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 07:20 PM   #94
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

I spoke with some friends at the Fukushima plant and they said the reactors were actually powered by 590's.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 07:35 PM   #95
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
I spoke with some friends at the Fukushima plant and they said the reactors were actually powered by 590's.


http://www.anandtech.com/show/4248/i...590-microatx/4


Quote:
This still isn't comparable to the whine of a screaming Radeon HD 6990

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4239/n...e-card-king/16


Quote:
The GTX 590 simply embarrasses the 6990 here; itís not even a contest. Make no mistake: 57.9dB is not a quiet card; weíre still looking at a dual-GPU monster, but itís not the roaring monster that the 6990 is.
(notice how the 6990 is a whopping 6db louder than the GTX480 ATi fans spent last year complaining about in this link?)


http://techreport.com/articles.x/20629/12


Quote:
The GTX 590's cooler is vastly quieter than the boisterous blower on the Radeon HD 6990.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,2898-19.html


Quote:

Nevertheless, in a comparison between GeForce GTX 590 versus Radeon HD 6990, Nvidia wins.

And it wins because I can put a GeForce GTX 590 in my workstation, which doubles as my gaming machine, and not hear it. Itís quiet enough to use. And thatís a requisite.

My guess is this is why the 590s are selling out and the 6990s gather dust, beyond the comparable performance and far superior feature set anyway.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-11, 08:26 PM   #96
Viral
Registered User of Women
 
Viral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

I'm not sure why but the average price of the 590 over here is around $100 more than the 6990 on average. On newegg the 590 is cheaper than the 6990... it doesn't appear to be a lack of supply as many places have had them in stock since launch. Very strange price gouging.
__________________
Q9550 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme | 4GB Team Xtreme Dark 800MHz CL4 | Gigabyte X48-DS5
ASUS Radeon 5870 | 240GB OCZ Vertex 2 | 1TB WD Green Power | BenQ V2400W 24" LCD
Corsair HX-1000w | LG GGW-H20L 6x DL Blu-Ray Burner/HD-DVD Reader | Coolermaster Cosmos S

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.