Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-11, 09:10 PM   #1
CaptnStubing

Default DS 3D...horrible!

While it did look pretty cool at the right distance and slider depth but it hurt my eyes and my son's. I was ready to buy him one but he said he didn't like it so he is keeping his DS XL which is far better IMO
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 10:19 PM   #2
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: DS 3D...horrible!

Nephew got one and it is terrible, IMHO. Maybe the games will be decent, but the 3D effect made me want to vomit, and I've been doing 3D gaming for a while now on the PC... but the fact that the screen moves so easily screws me up.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 10:58 PM   #3
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

I got a chance to play SF4 on one tonight and I had a headache and eyestrain within a few minutes. I can't believe this stupid 3D fad has caught on like this. Every time I watch a 3D TV and now this stupid 3DS I feel like crap. I had to hunch over the system too at a very specific spot to even see the 3D effect anyway which is crap.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-11, 11:28 PM   #4
tornadog
Keeper of the Faith

why did I know this thread would be here soon...This forum has a major anti-nintendo bias!!! Not that I am a big fan, my only interest in the 3ds was for resale for profit opportunity but nintendo ensured this time around, they had enough in stock...
Old 04-01-11, 12:23 AM   #5
jlippo

For stereo 3d to work very well, it should use camera and track users eyes and then use that to calculate the positions of virtual cameras on 3d scene.
This would limit the field of view in a game, but it would make the display a 'invisible' portal to a another world.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 01:25 AM   #6
CaptnStubing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadog View Post
why did I know this thread would be here soon...This forum has a major anti-nintendo bias!!! Not that I am a big fan, my only interest in the 3ds was for resale for profit opportunity but nintendo ensured this time around, they had enough in stock...
Oh stop it. I like Nintendo's products. I have a DS and a Wii. My son has a DS and DS XL. We just don't like the 3d part of the 3DS. It hurt our eyes and gave us a horrible vertigo feeling. When you turn off the 3d it is a fine product. The problem is the XL is better than the 3DS as a 2D model. So there isn't any reason to get the 3DS. In general I don't like 3D media.

I agree ninjaman. 3D media is completely annoying. A lot of people like it and if companies can make money of it, that's cool. I how ever will not buy a 3D TV. I hate wearing the classes in the theaters and have hated every glasses free screen I've seen. Some of us get vertigo really easy because we have inner-ear problems and 3D media wreaks havoc on our balance organ. It is just not for me. It looks cool but I can only handle a very limited amount of it.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 07:24 AM   #7
Jon

I love my 3DS! So far I've played SF4 and RR. Can't wait for Resident Evil later this year.

Day 1 the 3D effect took some getting used to and by the end of the day, my eyes were slightly more tired than usual (but I've not gamed on a handheld for years anyway so might have been the smaller screen). Other than that I had no problems with it.

Day 2 I found the 3D a lot easier to focus on. Either my eyes were more used to it, less tired or I got used to hold the screen better. Or all 3.

Day 3 and I have no issues with it at all. The only thing I can say is for whatever reason, I can't tolerate the 3D slider above 50% (which it does say to use as a starting point to get used to the effect in the manual) and for RR I have to turn it down to about 20% (which was mentioned in one of the reviews that they had to do it also).

Other than that, I can't wait to put some more time into it... its real easy to just pick up and put down.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 07:49 AM   #8
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I love my 3DS! So far I've played SF4 and RR. Can't wait for Resident Evil later this year.

Day 1 the 3D effect took some getting used to and by the end of the day, my eyes were slightly more tired than usual (but I've not gamed on a handheld for years anyway so might have been the smaller screen). Other than that I had no problems with it.

Day 2 I found the 3D a lot easier to focus on. Either my eyes were more used to it, less tired or I got used to hold the screen better. Or all 3.

Day 3 and I have no issues with it at all. The only thing I can say is for whatever reason, I can't tolerate the 3D slider above 50% (which it does say to use as a starting point to get used to the effect in the manual) and for RR I have to turn it down to about 20% (which was mentioned in one of the reviews that they had to do it also).

Other than that, I can't wait to put some more time into it... its real easy to just pick up and put down.
I guess it should be...It's a handheld.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-11, 10:18 AM   #9
Jon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
I guess it should be...It's a handheld.
errr, yeah... the closest I've had to a handheld is a gaming laptop... and I'd probably pick that up and put it down if it wasn't for the fact it weighs about 3kg and has a giant power brick I have to find a socket for or the GPU won't leave 2D mode.

But I was more inferring that eg, I'm 2 races into Grand Prix mode of RR... I don't have time for the 3rd race so I just flip the lid down and stick it on the charger. When I get back tonight, I can pick it back up exactly where I left off. I love that! I guess if that's what all handhelds do then you probably just take it for granted.

More specifically to the 3DS, day 1 I was fidgeting all the time moving it closer / further, left / right trying to get comfortable so I can see the 3D effect. But now I've used it so much I can just flip it open and hold it in the perfect position for me.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 03:52 PM   #10
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

overpriced crap is what is.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 04:48 PM   #11
Snake101st

Has anyone played Pilot Wings for it yet? I loved the N64 version.
SLI evga GTX 460 1GB
Acer GD235HZ w/ nvidia 3d vision
Snake101st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-11, 04:50 PM   #12
Q

3 hours max battery life.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote