Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-11, 07:51 AM   #1
Damien B.
Damien B.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3
Arrow Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Hi,

I was wondering if you have a release date for these drivers (not considering the optimus support as I understand you have no plans for that)? Or a date for a beta? Or at least plans toward that?
Thanks,
Damien
Damien B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 08:25 AM   #2
Deanjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 301
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien B. View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if you have a release date for these drivers (not considering the optimus support as I understand you have no plans for that)? Or a date for a beta? Or at least plans toward that?
Thanks,
Damien
Current betas should work.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 09:51 AM   #3
Damien B.
Damien B.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
Current betas should work.
Thanks for your quick answer Deanjo.
Should the latest betas work even though they dont mention the card in the list of supported chips? (I was looking at the 270.30 version which seems to be the latest beta).
Thanks,
Damien
Damien B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 03:20 PM   #4
LLStarks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 66
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

if you have a 540m, you have optimus.

there is no manufacturer providing a hard bios switch anymore.

yes, there's a driver, but you're out of luck.
LLStarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 06:27 PM   #5
artem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 713
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLStarks View Post
if you have a 540m, you have optimus.

there is no manufacturer providing a hard bios switch anymore.

yes, there's a driver, but you're out of luck.


Are you a 100% sure? If that's true I will just avoid buying or recommending Optimus crippled laptop to any of my friends.
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 04:10 AM   #6
Damien B.
Damien B.
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Dublin
Posts: 3
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post


Are you a 100% sure? If that's true I will just avoid buying or recommending Optimus crippled laptop to any of my friends.
Thanks for your answers.
I looked around on the web and indeed the 2 options are:
-Turn the card off to at least avoid it using battery: see acpi_call project
-Wait for linux support of Optimus: http://linux-hybrid-graphics.blogspo...d-gpu-hot.html
Damien B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:03 AM   #7
komasoftware
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
Angry Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

My new shiny Asus N53S just arrived and Ubuntu is installed, but no restricted driver found.
So I ended up in this thread.

- I understand my laptop has something todo with Optimus.

- I understand from what I read that Optimus a technology to switch between two GPUs , a fancy discrete GPU and the low-power integrated one.

- Ok, Optimus is not supported for Linux, but is there no driver for the fancy discrete GPU on Linux/Ubuntu ??

- I don't care about switching between the GPUs but I want to keep on working on the powerful GPU ??

Is this laptop really worthless for me now ??
komasoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:07 AM   #8
Deanjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 301
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLStarks View Post
if you have a 540m, you have optimus.

there is no manufacturer providing a hard bios switch anymore.

yes, there's a driver, but you're out of luck.
Lenovo does.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-11, 09:25 AM   #9
Deanjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 301
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien B. View Post
Thanks for your quick answer Deanjo.
Should the latest betas work even though they dont mention the card in the list of supported chips? (I was looking at the 270.30 version which seems to be the latest beta).
Thanks,
Damien
There is a new Cuda driver out that has "officially listed support", 270.40 that lists it in the changelog:

* GeForce GTX 590
* GeForce GTX 550 Ti
* GeForce GT 420
* GeForce GT 440
* GeForce GTX 470M
* GeForce GTX 485M
* GeForce GT 550M
* GeForce GT 555M

* Quadro 1000M
* Quadro 2000M


http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit-40#Linux
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:32 AM   #10
komasoftware
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Will installing this driver on my ASUS N53S with Nvidia GT540M work ?



Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
There is a new Cuda driver out that has "officially listed support", 270.40 that lists it in the changelog:

* GeForce GTX 590
* GeForce GTX 550 Ti
* GeForce GT 420
* GeForce GT 440
* GeForce GTX 470M
* GeForce GTX 485M
* GeForce GT 550M
* GeForce GT 555M

* Quadro 1000M
* Quadro 2000M


http://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit-40#Linux
komasoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 09:47 AM   #11
komasoftware
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

im probably asking stupid questions.... but do i have any options.
Is installing the new Cuda driver of any help for me with a GT540M
about every graphics card is listed in the supported list, but mine.
Pls power users, give me a break and help me out !

Quote:
Originally Posted by komasoftware View Post
Will installing this driver on my ASUS N53S with Nvidia GT540M work ?
komasoftware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-11, 10:07 AM   #12
Deanjo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 301
Default Re: Linux drivers for GE Force 500M Series (GT 540M in particular)

Quote:
Originally Posted by komasoftware View Post
im probably asking stupid questions.... but do i have any options.
Is installing the new Cuda driver of any help for me with a GT540M
about every graphics card is listed in the supported list, but mine.
Pls power users, give me a break and help me out !
There is only one way to really find out and that is to install it.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.