Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-11, 08:02 PM   #37
cheechr1

Default Re: [270.18] Overclocking is _still_ broken for 8xxx (probably 9xxx too) class GPUs

lol +1 artem
cheechr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 07:31 AM   #38
Deanjo

Default Re: [270.18] Overclocking is _still_ broken for 8xxx (probably 9xxx too) class GPUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
No, but I naïvely thought that 2,5 months are enough to trace and revert the regression.
With less then 1% of nvidia linux users actually overclocking it would go to the bottom of my list of "things to do" as well especially since there is next to nothing out there that pushes the cards so hard in linux that overclocking is needed to get that few extra fps.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 10:33 AM   #39
artem

If you read my first message in this thread you'd instantly realize that I don't need overclocking per se.

Powermizer doesn't work on my GPU, thus I slow my video adapter down manually. When I want to play I need to revert clocks to their default values and right now it doesn't work well (I can up the clocks gradually but that task is tedious at best).
artem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 02:55 PM   #40
Deanjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by artem View Post
If you read my first message in this thread you'd instantly realize that I don't need overclocking per se.

Powermizer doesn't work on my GPU, thus I slow my video adapter down manually. When I want to play I need to revert clocks to their default values and right now it doesn't work well (I can up the clocks gradually but that task is tedious at best).

Then you should be concentrating on getting powermizer fixed instead of asking to fix a workaround.
Deanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 04:36 PM   #41
drhirsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
there is next to nothing out there that pushes the cards so hard in linux that overclocking is needed to get that few extra fps.
If somebody pays 200+ € for an gfx card, it is very likely that there is a reason for it and a demand for high 3D/cuda performance. Just because _you_ don't know next to no demanding 3D apps, it doesn't mean they don't exist.
drhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-11, 05:09 PM   #42
cheechr1

+1 drhirsch

Many people don't use linux for gaming, but many do use linux for CUDA applications. It would be nice to use an Nvidia tool rather than having to use a third party tool to re-flash my card and void the warranty. If this company cannot provide the software, what good is buying a decent graphics card? This goes for everything, CUDA, opengl, vdpau and any graphics accelerated feature. Might as well have got an integrated intel graphics chip at this rate.....

I do a bit of gaming on linux so fast graphics are nice, but with the constant issues of using anything graphical with nvidia, I am almost ready to throw in the towel with graphics in linux. Like projectM which I like to use often when listening to music, especially when entertaining friends. Constant crashes and XID's this and EQ overflowing that is really beginning to make me question why I use these products in the first place.

Especially with more and more users realizing Windows and Mac are not worth the money you pay for their products, once people learn the capabilities of their new OS (Linux), they would at least like to know that their money was not wasted when they purchased the video hardware. I switch people to Ubuntu all of the time and many times the issue is the graphics adapter. Just sad to see how little these multi-million dollar corporations care about open source users.
Old 04-06-11, 05:14 PM   #43
artem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanjo View Post
Then you should be concentrating on getting powermizer fixed instead of asking to fix a workaround.
On my class of GPUs (8800GT to be precise) powermizer doesn't work not because it's broken or buggy, it's because these GPUs don't have power profiles at all.

I tried adding power profiles manually via editing BIOS with NiBiTor but that didn't have any effect so I reverted back to my original BIOS. I'm not an NVIDIA engineer and I have no idea who to ask how to properly enable power profiles. I tried copying the settings which I extracted from a 9800M BIOS but it seems like that wasn't enough. And, yes, I had adjusted 9800M clocks/voltages for my GPU anticipating your further questions and doubts.

Oh, and one more thing I forgot to mention - I need to reclock back my GPU when I want to use VDPAU. At 160MHz core 8800GT GPU doesn't have enough juice to decode even 720p H.264 streams - I get framedrops. At nominals speeds my GPU handles 1080p video clips without any problems.
Old 04-06-11, 05:58 PM   #44
cheechr1

No power managment profiles? Almost as smart as removing the BIOS switch in Optimus notebooks....

Old 04-07-11, 04:09 AM   #45
artem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheechr1 View Post
No power managment profiles? Almost as smart as removing the BIOS switch in Optimus notebooks....
You sound like you are being sarcastic but I don't blame NVIDIA for that, as old desktop graphics cards usually didn't have any kind of power management. It applies to every other GPU manufacture be it ATI, 3dfx, S3 Graphics, Matrox or anyone else.

On the desktop power profiles were firstly introduced with 9800GT cards. And most 8800GT owners don't even know that their cards draw almost 36W under no load which is kinda insane by modern standards.
Old 04-08-11, 10:50 PM   #46
cheechr1

In any case, I do not mind if it takes Nvidia two more months to come out with an updated driver, as long as regressions like this one get fixed along with other improvements. It upsets me when they update the drivers every week, but change one or two minor things (3D vision, anyone).

Nothing wrong with taking their time just to make sure they get it right. I am not on board with the 3D stuff though, I think 3D is way too over rated. Lets get basic functionality we used to have back before working on fancy new options such as 3D.

Thanks Nvidia driver team, I know your only working with the scraps the corporation will give you to keep the open source community happy.

(Try to convince your bosses to support optimus in linux or at least a workaround, many people are very upset with this and rightfully so, in my opinion).
Old 05-12-11, 04:38 PM   #47
artem

Patiently waiting for resolution.
Old 05-20-11, 12:36 PM   #48
artem

Sigh, not fixed in 275.09.