Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-11, 01:54 PM   #1
reein

Default Overscan and HDMI audio questions

I am extremely new to linux but I wanted to build my HTPC using it since it was way more cost efficient then buying Windows 7 for it. I currently have a Geforce GT 430 video card and it is running Ubuntu 10.10. I am using in my HTPC that I have hooked up using HDMI.

I figured out where the slider for changing the overscan was located and have set it to the position that I like so that I can see all of my desktop on my HD TV. What happens now is when the computer gets restarted the overscan is back to its default setting untill I open the Nvidia X Config program and then the costume overscan setting that I set just changes back. I was hoping that their was a way for it to remember my setting without having to start the Nvidia X Config to get my setting back the way I set it.

My second problem is that I do not have audio going out the the Geforce GT 430 using HDMI. I have tried to read and understand the stick on Linux HDMI Audio but am having difficulty with it since my knowledge of Linux is very limited. I have also looked on the internet and found some information about having to black list some files in modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and I tried that with a restart and that did not help either. In the HDMI audio guide it said to try and upgrade my Alsa and I ran the the Ubuntu steps for that since that is the destro I am using but nothing has worked so far.

If you can tell me what information you need to help with my problems I will gladly try to get it for you to try and get these issues resolved. Thanks to anybody that can try to answer these questions.
reein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 04:41 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Overscan and HDMI audio questions

For the overscan compensation option, you can have nvidia-settings load the configuration without opening the GUI by passing it the -l option. E.g., add this to your desktop environment startup scripts:
Code:
nvidia-settings -l
I'm not sure what to suggest for your audio problem. Since you're using Ubuntu, you may need to switch the output listed in the "Hardware" tab of the "Sound Preferences" dialog to make PulseAudio use the correct ALSA output, but like you mentioned there are quite a number of caveats and bugs related to HDMI audio with various versions of ALSA that just following those guides is probably your best bet.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 06:21 PM   #3
cheechr1

I looked at the Nvidia HDMI audio guide and I can understand why it is not easy to understand for a newb. Let me try to help you.

As far as I know, all 4XX nvidia cards have 4 HDMI audio devices, and first you will have to find out which is the one ALSA wants to use.
First use this command:

sudo aplay -L

It will list everything linux thinks is an audio device. Notice whether or not your nvidia sound is listed as a 0,3 or 1,3 (just an example, the numbering changes depending on whether you have an other sound device or not.Card # on the left is the first number in the 1,3. Device # is the second number.) This info will be important in the next step.

Secondly try the speaker-test (make sure the volume is up on the tv and nothing is muted. Get the alsa gnome mixer in synaptic and browse over to your nvidia audio levels and make sure none are muted. Make sure all IEC958 boxes are checked.)

Now to use the numbers you found in the first step using this command:

speaker-test -c 2 -r 48000 -D hw:1,3

Try replacing the 3 with either 7,8 or 9. If the 1 does not match what you saw with aplay -l command, replace it with the number listed. One of these should get audio out to your tv.

Final step:
Add this line to your default.pa file in /etc/pulse/:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:1,7

This is from my setup, 1,7 worked for my speaker test so replace the numbers with the numbers your speaker test worked with.

The only way to edit this file is to run gedit as root. To do this type:

sudo gedit

(You need to use sudo and type in your password whenever you alter files that are not in your home directory.)

Reboot.

Now you should have working HDMI audio, no more work should be necessary.

Happy trails and if you need more help post again.

Last edited by cheechr1; 04-08-11 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Make it easier to read and understand
cheechr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-11, 09:56 PM   #4
reein

Aaron thank you for the command that worked exactly how I wanted it to once it was added to my startup items. It now automatically fixes my overscan.

Cheechr I was able to follow your instructions and found out mine is running at hw:1,9. I added the load-module line like yours but changed it to be 1,9 and rebooted but I still do not have audio. I can run the speaker-test command again pointing at 1,9 and get sound from my speakers but cannot get it to just come their from a restart.

Thank you both for your help. It is nice to get some strait easy answers when I have no idea what I am doing on Ubuntu
Old 04-07-11, 11:26 PM   #5
cheechr1

Make sure that line is at the bottom of default.pa, not the top.
Old 04-08-11, 05:31 AM   #6
reein

It is at the very bottom of that file. I saw some section headers in that file. Does it need to be under a certain one or is just at the very bottom good enough? Another question I have is when I go in to my sound properties I have to Nvidia audio output options. I have tried selecting each one to see if sound will work but it doesn't for either. The two options I have in output are HDA Nvidia and under that it is just stereo and the second is HDA Nvidia Digital Audio stereo. Under hardware I have two options as well but only one of them is Nvidia, the other is the built in sound card on my motherboard. I have had sure to select the Nvidia card under the hardware tab as well.
Old 04-08-11, 04:57 PM   #7
cheechr1

The only place for that line should be at the bottom of that file. In the sound preferences, you want to select the nvidia device that will say exactly this:

GF100 High Definition Audio Controller
Stereo

You'll notice if you remove that line from default.pa, you will lose the output I just mentioned. It will not be selected at boot time in the audio preferences, but should still work at boot time even though it is not selected in the preferences. DO NOT select the Nvidia outputs that end with (HDMI). Those outputs will not work unless ALSA wants to use the first device on your video card to output to your TV (highly unlikely, I have only ever used 1,3 once and now 1,7). Hope you get this working man. Also with ubuntu never manually install the driver, get the x-swat PPA instead which always has pre-packaged Nvidia drivers which are much easier to install and upgrade. If you need help with this let me know.

This line in default.pa should work if your speaker test works with that device. If you cannot get this line to work, there is another, more complicated way. I could not help with that method as the one I told you has worked for me and a few others I have helped. Good Luck.
Old 04-08-11, 09:14 PM   #8
reein

Ok audio is now working. I think it was working before using the info you gave me. I was using the speaker test in the sound preferences to check to see if it was working and i would never hear anything when I used the left or right test buttons. I started to play a movie and sound came out

Now do you know how to get it to output 5.1 surround sound? Right now all I am getting is stereo output. It maybe the way I installed the drivers directly from nvidia. If that is the case I will remove them and install a different set I just need to know how to remove the ones I have downloaded from nvidia's site.

Thank you so much for the help I really appreciate it.

Old 04-08-11, 10:24 PM   #9
cheechr1

The uninstall method is get into your console with X and Gnome killed and type

./Nvidia-Linux-x86-Somenumbers.run -uninstall

If you want 5.1 audio I cannot help, I just use my TV speakers. I believe that requires a patch as the current Linux kernel has a regression, breaking multi-channel audio. Maybe take a look at the ol' Nvidia HDMI audio guide or get some more help.

Just make sure if you do get it working, take the time on the forums to help others get it to work as well. Happy trails!
Old 04-09-11, 07:24 AM   #10
reein

I will check out the guide and try to read it carefully to hopefully fully understand what it is saying. Do I need to always keep the driver pack that I downloaded from Nvidia if I want to uninstall my drivers? What happens if I don't keep it and a new driver comes out am I allowed to use that one to uninstall the old drivers?

You had said in an earlier post about using Ubuntu packages for my Nvidia drivers. Do I get those though the package installer just like I get other software, and if so do I need to add a repository to be able to find those drivers?
Old 04-09-11, 02:08 PM   #11
cheechr1

I am pretty sure you can use a newer driver package to uninstall an older driver, just try to use similar driver versions to ensure complete removal of the currently installed driver.

Example: Do not use 260.19.44 to uninstall 270.xx drivers, they are likely different enough to cause potential issues when uninstalling.

Yes the PPA is added to your repositories in synaptic and you use synaptic to install files from that PPA. The upgrade manager will automatically recognize when there are updates and ask you if you want to install the updated driver.