Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > Archived News Items

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-10-11, 01:50 PM   #1
News

Post Finally Doing Some 3D Vision Surround Testing on 3 Monitors in 3D

3D Vision Surround is a nice additional feature that you can take advantage of for more immersive stereoscopic 3D gaming if you have an SLI setup or a Dual-GPU video card and three 3D-capable displays ' 3D monitors or 3D projectors. In the case of three Full HD 3D monitors you get a wider horizontal working area with a total resolution of 5760√?1080, covering your peripheral vision better in games and giving you more working area. It sounds really promising and my impressions from the few demonstrations of the technology, where I've seen and tried it with a few games were quite positive, but of course sooner or later I had to make a 3D Vision Surround setup to dou some more extensive testing‚?¶

It has turned out quite hard to get three 3D monitors of the same model just for testing, so I invited a friend to bring his own 24-inch Acer GD245HQ and together with the other two monitors I've managed to get we started testing multiple games yesterday and it was a long day. Originally I planned to do the testing in 3D Vision Surround mode with the GeForce GTX 590 video card, but do to some hardware trouble with the test system used for the 590, I had to change the idea on the go and move to my test PC with dual GeForce GTX 580s in SLI. I've had a big table planned for the three monitor setup, and we barely managed to fit the monitors on it‚?¶ 3D Vision Surround setups even with 24-inch monitors do need a lot of space for comfortable use, and if you plan to do it with the new 27-inch monitors, you should really have a lot of free space. Other than that the setup and installation was quick, easy and problem free in general, so we moved to the testing phase and sometime early in the morning today we've finished with going trough about 30 games in 3D Vision Surround. During the testing there were some interesting, unexpected and surprising results, so you should be prepared that not every single game will work problem free, some require a bit of tweaking and a few just don't work. In general however the experience when everything works out is great and you quickly start to not pay too much attention to the bezels of the screens and get fully immersed in the gaming.

You can expect more photos and the results later on, as now I need some more coffee, to disassemble the test setup and pack the monitors up for returning them. I can say I'm quite happy with the results, although the whole thing was not entirely problem free. But I'm still having a hard time judging which one I like better, a single 50-inch 3D HDTV or a 3D Vision Surround setup with three 24-inch 3D monitors, because both have their advantages and their disadvantages. In the end, I'm going back to my single 3D Full HD monitor for my gaming needs in stereo 3D mode with 3D Vision as a preferred choice for now‚?¶

Related posts you might be interested in:

More...
News is offline   Reply With Quote