Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-11, 10:03 AM   #13
Sean_W

Default Re: Tired of Gaming

Well, I've been quiet excited lately because I can play games all over again maxed out with my GTX460. That's the great thing about PC games, old games get better with new hardware.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:05 AM   #14
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well, I've been quiet excited lately because I can play games all over again maxed out with my GTX460. That's the great thing about PC games, old games get better with new hardware.
You got that right! I just wish some of the older games had greater compatibility. I've been dying to fire up some Grim Fandango. Maybe I'll spend some time and get it running....

I spent the time to get Monkey Island 4 working.... and it was just barely worth the cost of admission. I started with 5, then played 1SE and 2S3. MI 3 was playable in SCUMMVM. And 4 was a PITA to get working and was the worse in the series.

What an awesome franchise.

I really want to play more games, but with my wife finishing up her MBA and my Masters in IT starting this semester, plus 40+ hours a week at work.... more work than time to play awesome games.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:05 AM   #15
|MaguS|

I don't take gaming as strict anymore, I don't try to over analyze games and am just having fun with what I buy. I think some people nitpick too much and they end up feeling burned. I've just stopped comparing games and found that gaming is a lot more enjoyable then.
Old 04-14-11, 10:06 AM   #16
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
You got that right! I just wish some of the older games had greater compatibility. I've been dying to fire up some Grim Fandango. Maybe I'll spend some time and get it running....

I spent the time to get Monkey Island 4 working.... and it was just barely worth the cost of admission. I started with 5, then played 1SE and 2S3. MI 3 was playable in SCUMMVM. And 4 was a PITA to get working and was the worse in the series.

What an awesome franchise.

I really want to play more games, but with my wife finishing up her MBA and my Masters in IT starting this semester, plus 40+ hours a week at work.... more work than time to play awesome games.
Should run fine as long as you disable AA and AF in the CP for the game since it causes weird graphics artifacts.

I've been playing a lot of Diablo 2 with my girl, she's never played it so its fun to go through it all slow and steady rather then just jumping into quick runs online.
Old 04-14-11, 10:22 AM   #17
jkmetal

I go through cycles of hot and cold. I m that way with most hobbies. I m still working on a 30 game backlog and have only knocked down 5 games this year. Pretty much only looking forward to upcoming fallout new vegas dlc and portal 2.
Old 04-14-11, 10:23 AM   #18
Yaboze

I don't meant to offend anyone as far as tech, but, IMHO, a game is a game. It's either well made and fun or it isn't. Pushing tech is not a priority for me. I believe this to be true with a lot of people.

Gameplay and design > Graphics and "Pushing tech".

Some of the best games ever made have minimal graphics and are still fun. This is why the iOS and Android games are so popular now.

I don't care that there isn't another Crysis to push the envelope right now. Just what I need, another single game that looks more like a tech demo than it is fun.....and it runs like crap to boot.

Crysis 2 is the best looking and best running game I have ever seen. Is it the best FPS? Probably not, but man, it looks damn good.

Magus has a point too, older games that sold millions can still be fun, Diablo 2 is a great example.

I'm getting tired of the constant upgrading and it would be nice to hold onto a system for a while and still have good looking games like Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:34 AM   #19
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I don't meant to offend anyone as far as tech, but, IMHO, a game is a game. It's either well made and fun or it isn't. Pushing tech is not a priority for me. I believe this to be true with a lot of people.

Gameplay and design > Graphics and "Pushing tech".

Some of the best games ever made have minimal graphics and are still fun. This is why the iOS and Android games are so popular now.

I don't care that there isn't another Crysis to push the envelope right now. Just what I need, another single game that looks more like a tech demo than it is fun.....and it runs like crap to boot.

Crysis 2 is the best looking and best running game I have ever seen. Is it the best FPS? Probably not, but man, it looks damn good.

Magus has a point too, older games that sold millions can still be fun, Diablo 2 is a great example.

I'm getting tired of the constant upgrading and it would be nice to hold onto a system for a while and still have good looking games like Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2.
But Crysis 2 is less demanding that Crysis 1 anyway and it's got a lot of feature stripped out. I'm sure it's better optimised for quad-core. Out of the box it looks terrible.

I wish people stop saying Crysis ran like crap. We all know why and Crysis 2 only doesn't because we have 4 years newer hardware and Crysis 2 has been scaled back a lot for the consoles.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:39 AM   #20
Yaboze

Well the problem here is that Crysis was ahead of it's time and on the hardware available at the time, it was very taxing.

Of course, Crysis can run well today, now that the hardware has caught up and surpassed it, so to speak.

There's not a lot of trees or huge view distances in Crysis 2, but I think Crysis 2 looks better than Crysis 1.

Maybe I just got tired of the rolling green mountains and tremendous vegetation that Crysis has. The urban environments, inside and out, lighting, particles, smoke, destroyed buildings, cratered up roads and stuff look awesome in Crysis 2.

Maybe Rage is the new "benchmark" for the PC. Who knows. It does look pretty good and is OpenGL. However, it's a console title as well, so we'll see. Carmack is a god, though.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-11, 10:43 AM   #21
DansFace

spend a few months trying to get laid... then come back

i5 2500k @ 5.0 GHZ cooled with a H70, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , Radeon 6970 2GB, X-Fi Music, and Corsair 650w
DansFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 10:57 AM   #22
Ywap

IŽve also been in a down period lately.

I blame the lack of good titles as everyone want their game to fit the shallow console standard. For every Bioshock there is a hundred overscripted, handholding cinematic on-rail shooters.

Hopefully Dead Island is as good as expected and maybe weŽll hear something from the Stalker camp soon...
Old 04-14-11, 11:25 AM   #23
Zelda_fan

I haven't played video games in about 4 or 5 months. Waiting till Zelda Wii comes out. I might played Elder Scrolls V.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 11:39 AM   #24
Logical

I dont think many games will rock my world this year..perhaps BF3 or Mass Effect 3 but it seems as though every release that i have looked forward to has done nothing but dissapoint. This is making me lose interest in gaming altogether and i dont think that untill the next gen consoles are out that my jaw will drop at a games visuals and playability.

I want a reason to splash out on a new GPU...Games that look like nothing released before...ground breaking games in DX11...I see only maybe 1 or 2 on the horizon....meh

I even got a X360 for Christmas to try and tbh aprt from the odd bouts on FIFA and Forza i have hardly switched the thing on...Couldn't help but feel like i was retro gaming. :/
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote