Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > General Hardware

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-11, 01:34 AM   #25
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: Goodbye Onboard NIC. Hello Killer NIC 2100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
My Realtek onboard NIC uses about 10 to 12% CPU. I've tested it already. If it was 0.01% I wouldn't give a ****, but it's not...it's ~10% which can make a noticeable difference, and offloading that will net me some fps and lower my ping.

Realtek is a pretty lousy company. Their onboard audio hisses when the network is in use, and their onboard NIC has ping issues. Intel's NIC is much better, but sadly mine came built-in with Realtek. Maybe it was ASUS's choice to save a few dollars.

There's actually an ASUS motherboard with built-in Killer NIC, but there's no point in upgrading a motherboard when Intel's X79 is right around the corner.
Yours must be broken... I have two Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) on my motherboard and they work perfectly. I always have the lowest ping at LAN parties, or the same as the lowest.

Also, it uses 10-12% in what? Copying a huge file over gigabit? Dunno what to tell you there, mine doesn't break 3% cpu load when I do that.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 03:42 PM   #26
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Yours must be broken... I have two Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) on my motherboard and they work perfectly. I always have the lowest ping at LAN parties, or the same as the lowest.

Also, it uses 10-12% in what? Copying a huge file over gigabit? Dunno what to tell you there, mine doesn't break 3% cpu load when I do that.
It averages about 5% CPU usage, sometimes hitting 8-10%. I'd rather have my CPU free to do more important things.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 03:48 PM   #27
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
It averages about 5% CPU usage, sometimes hitting 8-10%. I'd rather have my CPU free to do more important things.
So, if you copy stuff from one drive to another drive within your pc what is your cpu load then.
Old 04-14-11, 03:54 PM   #28
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

It's funny watching you guys argue.

For $50 i'd probably pick it up too just to see what it actually offers. It definitely has some interesting features like the personalized QoS that you can't easily get otherwise... personally I'd rather have that at a router level with something like the D-Link GamerLounge gaming router.

It would be nice having everything offloaded from the cpu too... but with onboard audio and an onboard NIC I really don't think conventional quad cores take too much of a hit, especially if they have hyperthreading.

Glad you're enjoying it though, I'd like to pick one up sometime to see what their software has to offer
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m
1tb WD HDD
120gb Corsair SSD

Join the NvNews Folding @ Home Team
snowmanwithahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 04:06 PM   #29
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmanwithahat View Post
It's funny watching you guys argue.

For $50 i'd probably pick it up too just to see what it actually offers. It definitely has some interesting features like the personalized QoS that you can't easily get otherwise... personally I'd rather have that at a router level with something like the D-Link GamerLounge gaming router.

It would be nice having everything offloaded from the cpu too... but with onboard audio and an onboard NIC I really don't think conventional quad cores take too much of a hit, especially if they have hyperthreading.

Glad you're enjoying it though, I'd like to pick one up sometime to see what their software has to offer
D-Link routers are garbage. If I connect to the modem directly, my ping is 12ms on speedtest for Los Angeles (where I live). If I connect through the $180 Gaming router by D-Link, my ping is 30ms and pages take longer to connect to the host. If I use my Netgear router $180 (current one) I get 13ms ping and pages load as fast as without a router. I've enabled QoS on the router, but I have no idea for it knows what app is running and how to prioritize it.

It has a section where I can make a profile for a game, so let's say I name it Crysis. Then I select the port to use and prioritize it. It's too complicated, since I have no idea what port it uses and how it will even detect what program Crysis is referring to. Killer NIC offers an automatic way of doing this on my PC, so I can prioritize it there. It detects the exe of the program and you can set the level there.
Old 04-14-11, 04:08 PM   #30
AngelGraves13

Quote:
So, if you copy stuff from one drive to another drive within your pc what is your cpu load then.
~2%

Over the network, anywhere from 5% to 10%

If you factor that in when gaming, you can save yourself about 8% CPU usage.

This is like that argument of "a mouse is a mouse." Sure all mice do the same things, but gaming mice have better response time, more accurate tracking, and better driver support.

Do all PCs do the same thing? Yes. Do all PCs do the same thing at the same level? No.

My friend can't understand how anyone can spend $500 on a graphics card because he thinks $500 is too much for an entire PC including the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers. He CAN afford it too, he just doesn't understand why anyone would waste their money on it.

I can't understand why anyone would buy a $100,000 car, but hey maybe that's because I don't much care for driving.
Old 04-14-11, 04:33 PM   #31
DansFace

I just got one of these from a friend.. traded him a copy of portal 2 for it. It helps a ton in BC2 and I like the fact I can limit bandwidth and traffic on the fly...

Last night I was sniping better as a medic with a m1 compared to the usual recon newbs . I still haven't looked into tweaking the card yet.. but for 40$ i'm impressed

i5 2500k @ 5.0 GHZ cooled with a H70, ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) , Radeon 6970 2GB, X-Fi Music, and Corsair 650w
DansFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 04:50 PM   #32
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansFace View Post
I just got one of these from a friend.. traded him a copy of portal 2 for it. It helps a ton in BC2 and I like the fact I can limit bandwidth and traffic on the fly...

Last night I was sniping better as a medic with a m1 compared to the usual recon newbs . I still haven't looked into tweaking the card yet.. but for 40$ i'm impressed
Nice. I'm going to test it out tomorrow, once OnTrac delivers it today.

Old 04-14-11, 06:51 PM   #33
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansFace View Post

My question would be what else do you run while gaming? I can see the scenario where you run torrents in the background would cause your pings to spike, but at the NIC level I don't see where you'll gain a whole lot with QoS. If I'm playing a game just about everything else is shut off so the only traffic would be game traffic. The biggest issue I could see is when someone else in your house fires up Hulu or netflix and then all of the sudden you're competing for bandwidth with someone else on the same network. This would be where QoS would be much more useful.

The one scenario I could really see where one of these NICs would improve network traffic is if your CPU is loaded down causing a delay before packets can be sent or replied to. On a single or dual core system with a game that can tax both cores it might be possible for that to occur.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11, 07:51 PM   #34
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121 View Post
My question would be what else do you run while gaming? I can see the scenario where you run torrents in the background would cause your pings to spike, but at the NIC level I don't see where you'll gain a whole lot with QoS. If I'm playing a game just about everything else is shut off so the only traffic would be game traffic. The biggest issue I could see is when someone else in your house fires up Hulu or netflix and then all of the sudden you're competing for bandwidth with someone else on the same network. This would be where QoS would be much more useful.

The one scenario I could really see where one of these NICs would improve network traffic is if your CPU is loaded down causing a delay before packets can be sent or replied to. On a single or dual core system with a game that can tax both cores it might be possible for that to occur.
The killer nic is only good for retards who cant figure out how to setup QOS on their routers.
Old 04-14-11, 10:42 PM   #35
AngelGraves13

Quote:
The killer nic is only good for retards who cant figure out how to setup QOS on their routers.
I have QoS set up and it works fine on my router. If someone else is downloading at full speed and I begin a download, it quickly equalizes our speed so we get about the same bandwidth. This also works for games, but I'm usually the only one on the net and I've got a 10Mb down line, so it's not an issue. It does not however affect what program gets more of the bandwidth on MY computer, which is what I'll be using the Killer NIC and its software for. I do things other than play games, but I prefer for the games on MY computer to be prioritized over all other traffic. I download/seed torrents 24/7, so this will fix my issue of my ping jumping around even though I've limited the upload of my torrent client to 1/2 of my upload speed of 220 KB/s.

The best you can do is name calling. Real mature.
Old 04-14-11, 11:12 PM   #36
snowmanwithahat
Snowy

Quote:
harsh, but that was the only real interesting feature that got me interested in it.

Like I said though, I'd rather have QoS setup on a router LIKE the d-link i mentioned before. It's one my roommate uses and it seems to work fairly well for a home router (he won it free at a LAN party). I'm not sure if i'd make the same choice given all the current options but something like it definitely would be preferable since I can't exactly regulate what my roommates are doing any other way than just using QoS to throttle torrent traffic
8gb (4x2gb) OCZ Gold DDR2-800 (5-4-4-12)
MSI+ASUS GTX 470 SLI
Dell u3011 IPS Display
HP 22" Auxiliary Monitor
256gb Western Digital Silicon Edge Blue SSD
5x2tb RAID-5 Array
750W PC P&C PSU
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit & Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit

---Gaming Laptop---
ASUS G53JW
Core i7 740QM
16gb DDR3
Nvidia GTX 460m