Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-16-11, 03:57 AM   #13
Bowen

Default Re: Battlefield 3 System Requirements...

There are few games worthy of a full system upgrade...BF3 is one of the few! The good thing about BF3 is if your system will run it just fine, then it should be able to run any game, save Metro 2033. I just don't think that the developers coded the game as optimally as they could have. It looks nice and all, but I think BF3 is the best looking game that I can see period!
CM HAF 922 Case / MSI Z77A-G45 / Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8GHz / 16GB (4x4GB) G.SKILL PC3 12800 DDR3 RAM / eVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC / Seagate 500GB SATA / WD 1TB SATA / Optiarc AD-7240S Burner / Corsair HX850 PSU / Windows 7 HP x64
Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 08:50 AM   #14
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

I still dont understand how can they do this game on consoles but on PC you have to be on Vista/Win7 only that makes no sense to me.. consoles are dx8-9 and stoneage compared to a decent pc today.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 10:41 AM   #15
K007

It means that DICE wants to move forward, they will still have the low quality version for consoles, but with today's hardware it seems pointless to include old features....i am all for moving forward if its done right! so lets hope dice can do it and others will follow.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-11, 10:44 AM   #16
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
Wow... a game that doesn't have XBOX 360 listed as a requirement. I wonder how many fan boys will be crying when they see the game running crippled on their trash-boxes??

Sounds like my OC'd 480 and Sandy B will be more than up for the task.

I'm also curious to see how many people will cry "the game is not optimized" - the devs use of the term 'scaling' would seem to indicate people with less than a decent GPU, quad core CPU and 4GB of ram will not be running it at high settings. I just hate when asshats with old hardware cry about a game not being optimized... no it's your setup that is not optimized ..or as we call it obsolete.
I agree with you for the most part. However, I still think Crysis was unoptimized and could have done better with the higher end hardware. As for more recent games like Black Ops, the game really was unoptimized and ran poorly on dual core CPU's, but people still said "update your PC" like that was the solution to ****ty code. Also, BC2 even had issues with dual core CPU's and a tri-core or more was essentially required (my E8400 struggled to keep up with it, but it did a pretty good job).

DICE's Frostbite engine has been known to be quite the multi-tasker. So, any of you out there concerned that you don't have a 2600K running at 5GHz, don't be. I am sure pretty much any CPU with 4 or more cores/threads will handle the game nicely. As for graphics, the latest (6xxx or 5xx series) cards, which handle DX11 nicely, should suffice quite well. Older 4xx and 5xxx series cards may struggle a little with DX11 (5xxx more so than 4xx, which performed better in DX11), but still perform sufficiently. As for RAM, 4GB or more should be plenty. Those are my expectations based on recent hardware performance, BC2, and the Frostbite engine in general.

It will be more interesting to see how many people are pissed that BF3 won't run on Windows XP.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 05:42 AM   #17
Bowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
I agree with you for the most part. However, I still think Crysis was unoptimized and could have done better with the higher end hardware. As for more recent games like Black Ops, the game really was unoptimized and ran poorly on dual core CPU's, but people still said "update your PC" like that was the solution to ****ty code. Also, BC2 even had issues with dual core CPU's and a tri-core or more was essentially required (my E8400 struggled to keep up with it, but it did a pretty good job).

DICE's Frostbite engine has been known to be quite the multi-tasker. So, any of you out there concerned that you don't have a 2600K running at 5GHz, don't be. I am sure pretty much any CPU with 4 or more cores/threads will handle the game nicely. As for graphics, the latest (6xxx or 5xx series) cards, which handle DX11 nicely, should suffice quite well. Older 4xx and 5xxx series cards may struggle a little with DX11 (5xxx more so than 4xx, which performed better in DX11), but still perform sufficiently. As for RAM, 4GB or more should be plenty. Those are my expectations based on recent hardware performance, BC2, and the Frostbite engine in general.

It will be more interesting to see how many people are pissed that BF3 won't run on Windows XP.

I think I'll be able to run BF3 OK with my current system specs. Like I said, I can run BFBC2 with just about everything on it's highest settings with my current setup.

We have a big advantage about BF3 though! Even on the Alpha version that was shown in the Faultline trailers, they said that the footage was run on a single GTX 580! It was buttersmooth on that and the game wasn't even fully optimized yet. That makes me happy to know since I'll be likely getting the GTX 670. Until then I'll have to play with my 465, but I think at the very least I can manage the medium setting if I have to.

I just remember getting Battlefield 2 and I had to run on medium settings then too with a 7800 GTX 256MB. Then I upgraded to a 7800 GTX 512MB and all was well.

A couple weeks ago I was playing BFBC2 on a GTX 275 until my 2nd 275 went out. I could play on high settings, but just barely and I would average about 42 FPS. I complained to EVGA about going a 2nd 275 and they upgraded me to a 465. Now I average about 60 FPS in BFBC2! If I still had a 275, I know the highest setting I could use in BF3 would be medium and then it might be barely as the Battlefield series is usually known for it's awesome graphics!
CM HAF 922 Case / MSI Z77A-G45 / Intel Core i5-3570K @ 3.8GHz / 16GB (4x4GB) G.SKILL PC3 12800 DDR3 RAM / eVGA GeForce GTX 670 SC / Seagate 500GB SATA / WD 1TB SATA / Optiarc AD-7240S Burner / Corsair HX850 PSU / Windows 7 HP x64
Old 04-17-11, 05:55 AM   #18
Bowen

I found this article at Fudzilla about how much BF3 will push PC's and consoles. To me that's not great news as it sounds like you might a SLi based system to push it to it's max. Honestly I thought a 580 GTX would push it all the way.....ya know.

Frostbite 2 designed with next consoles in mind
While skeptics have doubted DICE’s ability to deliver a Battlefield 3 experience on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 that will be close to the PC version, the studio assures everyone that Battlefield 3 will push the current generation of consoles to the absolute limit.

DICE is confident that Battlefield 3 will be the best looking console game to arrive for the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 this year, according to executive producer Patrick Bach. DICE will prove this fact instead of just talking about it, according to Bach.

One advantage that the Frostbite 2 engine will have in the future is that the engine was designed with the future in mind from every design aspect. That means that graphics, physics, animation, and audio have all been created with the next generation of consoles in mind. It should be no problem to adapt the Frostbite 2 engine to these next platforms when they are finally released.

Still, the PC version will look the best if you have the hardware and graphics card to run it. Sources suggest that maybe only 5% to 7% of the PC players of Battlefield 3 will have the hardware capable of pushing the PC version to the max when Battlefield arrives this fall.
Old 04-17-11, 06:04 AM   #19
Sean_W

Well, they will just scale back the effects and textures like in Crysis 2. There is a lot of fake effects in Crysis 2 but in reality PC hardware wouldn't have a problem doing.

PC hardware can do all the effects in real time where if you look at UE3 and Crysis 2, they use fake effects everywhere. BF3 on the PC should be all realtime.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 06:22 AM   #20
Vanzagar
Bring me Amberlamps

hmmm, so no support for windows xp, wonder if that;s the start of a trend...
Vanzagar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-17-11, 06:54 AM   #21
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanzagar View Post
hmmm, so no support for windows xp, wonder if that;s the start of a trend...
Only because the DX version isn't supported by XP. I bet developers made a big FFS when they heard you need a new OS for DX10/11. If XP supported new DX versions we'd have more DX10/11 games.
Old 04-17-11, 07:11 AM   #22
Bowen

I know it's a pain in the butt, but once you upgrade to Windows 7 it's better. The only thing is, it just seems like now MS is coming out with a new OS every 2 years. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they waited longer with others. It seems like I just upgraded to 7...heck it seems I just upgraded to Vista! I don't know if I'll be getting Windows 8 right away. All I have to say is MS had better now drop Win7 soon.
Old 04-17-11, 07:24 AM   #23
Sean_W

Battlefield3 will used DX12 which is Windows 8 exclusive.
Old 04-17-11, 12:17 PM   #24
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen View Post
I know it's a pain in the butt, but once you upgrade to Windows 7 it's better. The only thing is, it just seems like now MS is coming out with a new OS every 2 years. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought they waited longer with others. It seems like I just upgraded to 7...heck it seems I just upgraded to Vista! I don't know if I'll be getting Windows 8 right away. All I have to say is MS had better now drop Win7 soon.
Not really. Maybe you're too young to remember?

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows 98 SE
Windows NT
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP

All within about 5-6 years. Then it took about 6 years until Vista launched.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote