Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-17-11, 03:44 PM   #193
Rollo

Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
Four of my 6 points may be AA, So nvidia has one of those AA modes, that gives ATI 5 points more, subtract one for physx gimic, and it seems like ATI has 4 more features... funny. lol

Changing the power level voids your warranty? News to me..

Also, sure nvidia cards are faster with retarded levels of tessellation like in Unigine heaven. Though when you bring those levels down to realistic levels of which you might see in games in the future, the ATI cards leap ahead.
Errr...I can do this too.....

3d Vision on one monitor
3d Vision on three monitors
3D Vision on one monitor with PhysX
3d Vision on three monitors with PhysX
3d Vision on one monitor with forced AO
3d Vision on three monitors with forced AO
3d Vision on one monitor with PhysX and forced AO
3d Vision on three monitors with PhysX and forced AO
3d Vision on one monitor with CUDA water
3d Vision on three monitors with CUDA Water
3d Vision on one monitor with CUDA water and forced AO..........errr....yeah.

A couple different types of AA types as a feature set is sort of weak.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 03:51 PM   #194
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Errr...I can do this too.....

3d Vision on one monitor
3d Vision on three monitors
3D Vision on one monitor with PhysX
3d Vision on three monitors with PhysX
3d Vision on one monitor with forced AO
3d Vision on three monitors with forced AO
3d Vision on one monitor with PhysX and forced AO
3d Vision on three monitors with PhysX and forced AO
3d Vision on one monitor with CUDA water
3d Vision on three monitors with CUDA Water
3d Vision on one monitor with CUDA water and forced AO..........errr....yeah.

A couple different types of AA types as a feature set is sort of weak.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 04:27 PM   #195
sammy sung

Seriously, could you 2 get a room or something ? This like so many other threads has degenerated into a ATI/Nvidia bashfest.

Anyone coming here looking for information about this or any other card has to wade through an ocean of crap red vs green bs. BOTH of you please stop or create an ati vs nvidia AA mode/features etc thread because this is rapidly getting VERY old
Old 04-17-11, 04:31 PM   #196
shadow001

Quote:
Changing the power level voids your warranty? News to me..

Also, sure nvidia cards are faster with retarded levels of tessellation like in Unigine heaven. Though when you bring those levels down to realistic levels of which you might see in games in the future, the ATI cards leap ahead.

It does void your warranty unfortunately from AMD's standpoint, even though the overclocking feature is engineered directly into the card(the dual Bios switch), wich increases both the voltage and clocks of the card....It's a dumb policy to say the least, since if you don't want people to overclock the cards, don't make it that easy to do so in the first place..

However, vendors that are carrying the cards will still respect the warranty even if it is overclocked using that feature, even if it means eating the entire cost of the RMA, since they get nothing from AMD itself under those circumstances...

As for the tesselation thing, it's something that's totally dependent on developers and future titles, so speculating on just how much will be used in future games is pretty pointless, especially since we're probably 6 months from the first generation of GPU's using the 28nm process, and i think it's a given that both ATI and AMD will use the extra transistor budget to further beef up the tesselation performance among other things in those GPU's, if nothing else to see who'll be faster in the heaven benchmark then....

It's called marketing for a reason, and it has no basis on what games are using right now or in the near future...
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-11, 04:46 PM   #197
Rollo

Roadie- my list wasn't mean't to be taken seriously. I was parodying you actually throwing out a list of AA types as a "feature list" for the ATi part.

You took one feature (AA) and listed it four times to make it look like they had a long list of "features" NVIDIA lacked.

The "joke" of my parody is I took four features NVIDIA has and made it look like about 16- but it's still just four features. Sort of like "different types of AA" is one.

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 04-17-11, 04:51 PM   #198
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Roadie- my list wasn't mean't to be taken seriously. I was parodying you actually throwing out a list of AA types as a "feature list" for the ATi part.

You took one feature (AA) and listed it four times to make it look like they had a long list of "features" NVIDIA lacked.

The "joke" of my parody is I took four features NVIDIA has and made it look like about 16- but it's still just four features. Sort of like "different types of AA" is one.

If AO is a feature, why cant MLAA be one? Or Edge Detect? Or super sampling.
Old 04-17-11, 04:53 PM   #199
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
It does void your warranty unfortunately from AMD's standpoint, even though the overclocking feature is engineered directly into the card(the dual Bios switch), wich increases both the voltage and clocks of the card....It's a dumb policy to say the least, since if you don't want people to overclock the cards, don't make it that easy to do so in the first place..
On the 6990 the bios switch may. But I was talking about changing the max power usage in the control panel.
Old 04-18-11, 06:27 AM   #200
Rollo

Quote:
If AO is a feature, why cant MLAA be one? Or Edge Detect? Or super sampling.
I know different flavors of AA is all ATi has given their user for years for image enhancing features, so that is what you have to fixate on. I get it, it's what they've done, so it's what you've got.

TBH I haven't even thought about AA modes for yearss. The improvements are so marginal once you get above 4X MSAA that it just isn't an area of great concern.

With NVIDIA cards, I can add shadowing of objects through AO to make scenes more realistic, I can see the games in real 3d to make them more realistic, or add GPU accelerated physics effects to make envirnoments more realsitic.

This is all stuff that is readily apparent, I don't have to go find a scene with a chain link fence and stop and examine it to see the difference.

Fear not though RoadHog. ATi has been promising GPU accelerated physics for around six years now, they may figure it out some day. ATi has also been begging other companies to put together a 3d alternative for them for a few years now, and they do have it for televisions. Maybe someday someone will build a HDMI1.4 monitor for them and you'll be able to game at 1080P at 24fps on a computer just like on the tvs!

Rig 2:

Old 04-18-11, 08:00 AM   #201
K007

K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 12:27 PM   #202
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
If nV would have similar AA modes, Rollo would sell them as features
There have been several times NVIDIA has had unique or better AA modes over the years, I just can't get too revved up over AA modes.

Similarly, the only time you'll see me discuss AF is when someone is doing it wrong.

Rig 2:

Old 04-18-11, 01:02 PM   #203
shadow001

Quote:
On the 6990 the bios switch may. But I was talking about changing the max power usage in the control panel.

To make sure that the overclock has a better chance of being successfull, the bios switch needs to be moved to the overclocked settings as that's what it's there for in the first place....It was engineered like that by AMD itself right from the start, and they know a lot more about this card than any end user ever will...

So that makes it a bonehead decision not to honor the warranty from their end if the user actually uses it for it's intended purpose, and this ability was heavily marketed by AMD itself(calling it the awsum mode), in all the release reviews when the card was launched a few weeks ago...It's a stupid decision on their part to be quite honest.

There's no sugar coating this one unfortunately.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-11, 01:18 PM   #204
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
To make sure that the overclock has a better chance of being successfull, the bios switch needs to be moved to the overclocked settings as that's what it's there for in the first place....It was engineered like that by AMD itself right from the start, and they know a lot more about this card than any end user ever will...

So that makes it a bonehead decision not to honor the warranty from their end if the user actually uses it for it's intended purpose, and this ability was heavily marketed by AMD itself(calling it the awsum mode), in all the release reviews when the card was launched a few weeks ago...It's a stupid decision on their part to be quite honest.

There's no sugar coating this one unfortunately.
I think the issue is based on power consumption. By flipping the BIOS switch, you significantly increase the power draw to the card. There are PSU's out there that would not be able to handle the load, thus creating an unstable experience. Without that switch being flipped, the chances of such a thing happening are completely determined by the PSU itself. In that case, the only solution is to get a better PSU.

They're probably voiding the warranty because they don't want people simply returning the card because their PSU isn't up to snuff and take that mistake for their card being defective and returning it. It's all about maximizing profits.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU