Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-20-11, 02:11 PM   #217
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
What I like best about these reviews is they show the GTX590 and the GTX580 at the same noise level as the 6970, and both totally trump the the 6970 in performance and feature set.
So, does Steam update your drivers for you? Nope. ATI +1.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 06:01 PM   #218
Ninja Prime

Quote:
You lied when you said the 590 was the second loudest card in history brah. Check out ATi's last dustbuster, the 5970 a whole 7db louder and the 6990 hitting the magical 10db louder for the dubious honor of "twice as loud":

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20629/11

Here we have the GTX590 as the fourth loudest card on the chart, and again hitting the magical 10db quieter than a 6990. 10db isn't a "few" brah, a card that is twice as loud isn't about the same as you said.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,2898-17.html

What I like best about these reviews is they show the GTX590 and the GTX580 at the same noise level as the 6970, and both totally trump the the 6970 in performance and feature set.

The only way an ATi high end buyer can get better performance in some games is to subject himself to the loudest video card in the history of the world. If there was an ATi engineer in my living room now, I'd probably give him a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for this situation.

After all the ATi fans spent last year joking about how the GX480 was "unusable" due to how loud it was, it's pretty convenient for me they made the 6990 much louder than both the GTX480 and GTX590. Of course the reason they did this probably wasn't concern for how easy it would be for me to post about how the 6990 is a questionable buy. They had to clock the card high enough to compete with the GTX590, which required cyclonic fan speeds to keep the card operational.
Cherry picking reviews is awesome. This review: http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2049...luidsproductie

Shows the 6990 only 3 db ahead of the 590. I guess that 3 is only a "few", right? I'll give you that I was wrong on the loudest ever scale though, quite a few older cards seem to surpass both of them in the right situations. Which makes me wonder why you're making such a big deal about sound, you loved the GTX 480, its the loudest card on there.

Edit: Oh, thats right, the 590 lost the speed competition this time around, so you have to make up a new metric to win with. I understand now.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 06:47 PM   #219
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Cherry picking reviews is awesome. This review: http://nl.hardware.info/reviews/2049...luidsproductie

Shows the 6990 only 3 db ahead of the 590. I guess that 3 is only a "few", right? I'll give you that I was wrong on the loudest ever scale though, quite a few older cards seem to surpass both of them in the right situations. Which makes me wonder why you're making such a big deal about sound, you loved the GTX 480, its the loudest card on there.
LOL

I "cherry pick" Anandtech, Toms Hardware, and The Tech Report, three of the most respected and read hardware review sites on the planet.

Your "better information" comes from Hardware Info, a website I've never heard of from a foreign land in a foreign language.

Your post is the definition of "cherry picking", how many dozen reviews did you have to go through to find one that made your point?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...TX_590/22.html

5db louder at TechPowerup

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-590-review/9

Go figure- 5db louder at Guru3d, just like TechPowerup and AnandTech.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-21.html

11db at Hardware Canucks

So there you have it, six measured sound tests from six of the big English language review sites that say the 6990 is 5-11db louder than the GTX590. How could they all have made this horrible mistake only Hardware Info from the Netherlands was saavy enough to discern?!?!?

I await your link to a site in Kazakistan which is the "deciding factor" in your opinion. The rest of the world can read the reviews I linked to and know the truth.

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-11, 06:54 PM   #220
Rollo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
So, does Steam update your drivers for you? Nope. ATI +1.
That is an amazing feature! <yawn>

Rig 2:

[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Old 04-20-11, 07:05 PM   #221
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
That is an amazing feature! <yawn>
physx, yawn.
Old 04-20-11, 09:12 PM   #222
Rollo

Quote:
physx, yawn.
<shrug>

I have twelve games where the graphics and game experience is enhanced by GPU accelerated physics.

ATi?

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5838

ATi promises GPU physics acceleration in 2006, nothing yet.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ysics-argument

ATi promises the "be all, end all" GPU accelerated physics in 2009, still no games almost halfway through 2011.

It's pretty obvious ATi cares a lot about GPU accelerated physics, they just can't seem to make it happen. Not....one.....game.

On the bright side, they managed to get a driver update deal with STEAM that means exactly......nothing.

Rig 2:

Old 04-20-11, 09:18 PM   #223
Rollo

Quote:

Edit: Oh, thats right, the 590 lost the speed competition this time around, so you have to make up a new metric to win with. I understand now.
Depends on the game. I posted links to the GTX590 winning 20 high res benchmarks in this thread.

You haven't posted a 30 ATi high res benchmarks where it wins?

Rig 2:

Old 04-20-11, 09:50 PM   #224
Roadhog
Resident Alien

Quote:
<shrug>

I have twelve games where the graphics and game experience is enhanced by GPU accelerated physics.

ATi?

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=5838

ATi promises GPU physics acceleration in 2006, nothing yet.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...ysics-argument

ATi promises the "be all, end all" GPU accelerated physics in 2009, still no games almost halfway through 2011.

It's pretty obvious ATi cares a lot about GPU accelerated physics, they just can't seem to make it happen. Not....one.....game.

On the bright side, they managed to get a driver update deal with STEAM that means exactly......nothing.
If it was nvidia you would be selling it off as the best thing since sliced bread.

Old 04-20-11, 10:02 PM   #225
Rollo

Quote:
If it was nvidia you would be selling it off as the best thing since sliced bread.
How would I do that?

With PhysX I can link to reviews that say the games look better with the effects than without, and YouTube videos that show how much better the games look.

With STEAM driver updates I'd be reduced to posting something like,"It certainly is convenient having STEAM automatically update my drivers. It's grand!"

Rig 2:

Old 04-21-11, 12:52 AM   #226
Ninja Prime

Quote:
LOL

I "cherry pick" Anandtech, Toms Hardware, and The Tech Report, three of the most respected and read hardware review sites on the planet.

Your "better information" comes from Hardware Info, a website I've never heard of from a foreign land in a foreign language.

Your post is the definition of "cherry picking", how many dozen reviews did you have to go through to find one that made your point?

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...TX_590/22.html

5db louder at TechPowerup

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-590-review/9

Go figure- 5db louder at Guru3d, just like TechPowerup and AnandTech.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...review-21.html

11db at Hardware Canucks

So there you have it, six measured sound tests from six of the big English language review sites that say the 6990 is 5-11db louder than the GTX590. How could they all have made this horrible mistake only Hardware Info from the Netherlands was saavy enough to discern?!?!?

I await your link to a site in Kazakistan which is the "deciding factor" in your opinion. The rest of the world can read the reviews I linked to and know the truth.
You're right, foreign people don't count. Sorry everyone else, if its not english it doesn't count!

Well, unless its posting something bad about ATI, then they count extra hard, like that time you tried to link "ATI is cheating in textures zomg!!!11oneone" to all those german sites...

So, your other hypocriticalness aside, how do you justify selling the GTX 480 as the best thing ever, saying you don't care about sound, when the 6990 is quieter than the 480 was?
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 12:58 AM   #227
Greedo

Greedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-11, 05:31 AM   #228
Rollo

Quote:
You're right, foreign people don't count. Sorry everyone else, if its not english it doesn't count!

Well, unless its posting something bad about ATI, then they count extra hard, like that time you tried to link "ATI is cheating in textures zomg!!!11oneone" to all those german sites...

So, your other hypocriticalness aside, how do you justify selling the GTX 480 as the best thing ever, saying you don't care about sound, when the 6990 is quieter than the 480 was?
I didn't say foreign people don't count, I said you accused me of cherry picking noise measurements to prove my point, and then had to dig up one site in the Netherlands to support your view. That is the definition of "cherry picking", and you were the one doing it.

Of course after I posted a total of six sound measurements that show the 6990 is a LOT louder than a 590, which totally contradicts the lies you posted about the 590, you try to misdirect.

Do you want me to start posting links to English speaking websites that tested the image degrading ATi AF cheats and found the Germans were right? IIRC, Toms Hardware, Guru3d, and AlienBabelTech were three of them, and I saw another one in the 590 reviews.

Good stuff from ATi- shimmering mip map transitions to look at, while the user is reminded of drying his hair by the furiously spinning little fan. I thought about buying one to compare, but I was afraid my cat might get sucked into it if I inadvertently left the side of my case off.

As far as your claims about the 480 being louder than the 747...errr, 6990, I'll let readers draw their own conclusions based the six reviews I posted from the large sites we all read.

Rig 2: