Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-22-11, 01:36 PM   #253
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
But there is no need for you to step in. That stepping in part is what makes you look like an nV salesman and annoys so many users here.
Instead of recognizing that some of what you call misinformation is actually a real issue or are correct and valid points, you keep hammering on the same positive arguments while completely ignoring those points and opinions.

It seems like for you this is a one way conversation while your trying to spread out your nVidia propaganda crap. Your unable to accept that some of nVidias current products are flawed. And I say current because it seems like your able to see the issues after the products were replaced by refined versions. Like with the 480 noise for example.
Could be you and others like to nitpick the cards and whatever they lack mysteriously becomes the most important issue as well.

I've posted links to some of these guys hammering away on the GTX480 noise and then not even mentioning it for the much louder 6990. (although one laughably posted a link a site I've never heard of to try and prove the opposite)

I don't really care what any of you think of me or my posting style. If you post a link to a benchmark where 1.5GB of VRAM seems to be a limit, I'll post a link to 20 where it isn't to show there are other things to consider. If you say the 6990 is no different than the 590 for noise, I'll post links to 6-7 big review sites that show this is inaccurate. If you post the 590 only wins at 1080P, I'll link to twenty benches where it wins at 25X16.

Part of the reason they give us the hardware and software in focus group is so when guys like you pull stuff out of your ass we can post our own experience and/or links to review to corroborate.

In your case, I had experience with 1.2GB SLi, 1.5GB SLi, and 2GB SLi at 57X10 so when you posted that 1.5GB wasn't enough for that res I knew you were wrong. If you would have said that about 570's 1.2GB I would have agreed with you.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 02:06 PM   #254
Roadhog
Resident Alien
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,776
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
And that's exactly it! We don't need "members" like you here. This is an end user forum, AMD or nV. Users with hidden or not-so-hidden agendas like yourself are not needed here in my opinion.

You're here to sell nV cards. We're here to talk about them, about good and bad things. Our views aren't green or red tinted. We're gamers and/or hardware junkies.

Our discussion about the 1.5VRAM limitation is a good example of this. Overall it's not limiting the 590 at 3x1080p. That's what's important to you as a sales person. My issue lies in the other, not so few cases were it is a limitation. Because I see this from a gamers/end user perspective and I want a solution that doesn't run into such unnecessary limitations. I tried to tell you this multiple times already but you strictly follow your agenda. And you don't seem to learn either. You've been banned multiple times already but you're coming back with the same crap over and over again. Like I said before, you add nothing positive to this forum.
At least you have your head on straight. It's easy to have a discussion with you about ati/nvidia, like when you were looking for new gpus for your monitor setup. Rollo just can't put 2 and 2 together so you are just wasting your time trying to talk to him. He is like a 6 year old that wants what they want then and there, and when they don't get it they throw a tantrum.
Roadhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 02:26 PM   #255
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

I'm going to ask you guys FOR THE LAST FREAKING TIME to calm down. No one (on either side of the aisle) is doing nVidia Or ATI any favor by coming into this thread and acting like grade A asshats.

This is a review thread. Please give your opinions about the card (without the fanboy twist), and move on. Some of you that are so persistent about proving your point need to really ask yourself if you don't need to step away from the computer and go out and get some fresh air.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-11, 02:49 PM   #256
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo View Post
Everything "could be better than what it was", the point here is that the 590 is better than the competing part in many ways.

As far someone being "right" and me being "wrong", care to post a link to that?
Never once in my post did I say you were wrong. I simply said that they were right. You're twisting my words. It is possible to have 2 right answers.

Nvidia has Physx and 3D vision. AMD has Eyefinity. Both are right. However, when you start "wrapping" or even "warping" those statements to fit your beliefs about each company, you lose credibility as you are now taking sides.

Once again, you are not necessarily wrong. I don't agree with any sort of AMD bashing that you do, though. If you have to resort to that, you've usually got an agenda that explains the underpinnings of your claims. Also, if you have to "handpick" your supporting data, is that really proving that you're right? Or is that just proving that you know how to read a graph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
But there is no need for you to step in. That stepping in part is what makes you look like an nV salesman and annoys so many users here.
Instead of recognizing that some of what you call misinformation is actually a real issue or are correct and valid points, you keep hammering on the same positive arguments while completely ignoring those points and opinions.

It seems like for you this is a one way conversation while your trying to spread out your nVidia propaganda crap. Your unable to accept that some of nVidias current products are flawed. And I say current because it seems like your able to see the issues after the products were replaced by refined versions. Like with the 480 noise for example.
slaWter understands what's going on. We aren't the problem here.

There's a reason I stopped posting in this thread; both the GTX 590 and HD 6990 are, IMO, failures and a disgrace to the uber high-end market. They both have terrible flaws and compromises that make them either difficult to deal with or even impossible to use. With that said, I once again take my leave from this thread.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 07:58 AM   #257
john19055
 
john19055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: GREENVILLE,TX
Posts: 3,859
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

It hard to make them quiet because of the power they are haveing to cool..
What I want to know is there a rule that they could'nt use three 8-pin slots for the power and have 525watts and put two fans on them to keep noise down,I realize that this might make it three slots .But most people buying this card is just going to have one card and if you have the money to buy two ,then you probbally have the money for a better motherboard and power supply.Is there just a cut off rule at 375watts.They are both great cards and hindsite is always 20/20.
__________________
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-11, 09:46 AM   #258
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!
 
Madpistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 4,554
Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

PCIe 2.0 spec says that you can only have 375-watts of power per card. That's what was pushed... until now. It doesn't seem to make a difference now.

However, I think it would be very difficult to exhaust 525-watts of power off a single card using conventional cooling.
__________________
http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/sig/deta...d%20Pistol.png


MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 01:05 AM   #259
john19055
 
john19055's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: GREENVILLE,TX
Posts: 3,859
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Not if you have a good case ,with great air flow,which people do you can afford this card ,They could have added the extra 8-pin power plug ,and with there new vapor champer on each GPU and run the heat sink the full lenght of the card and put two 100mm x 20mm over each GPU.It should put out around 50CFM out for each fan and the noise should'nt be no louder then around 25db to 35db according to how hot it get and that would be a pretty quite card and still have the power to run 900/1800/4200.It would be a monster of a card .But this is just speculation and hindsite is always 20/20.It is still a good card for all the features you get.
__________________
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 06:39 AM   #260
sammy sung
 
sammy sung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Stockholm Sweden
Posts: 2,316
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Good airflow can also get in the way. Quite a few custom cooling solutions or also the cooling design of the 6990 push the hot air out on both sides of the card: out the front out of the case but also out the rear right back into the case. Quite a few, also highend cases with good airflow, have a fan right there to cool the video cards. So in fact your case is working against the video card cooling and that has a very negative effect on the GPU temps of course.

Unfortunately, my Palits also use such a bad cooling design. That's part of the reason why I had to return the third 580.

Your two fan cooling suggestion would suffer from this problem as well.
Tri SLI/CF always suffer due to the proximity of the PCI slots, one of the cards will be more baked than the others pretty much regardless of what you do. A lot of heat gets dumped in the case though but i wouldn't say that the palit's cooling design is bad,if you use just ONE card in a well ventilated case the gpu temps will be lower than the standard cooler. It's not a good sollution for Tri SLI though, thats for sure.

The cooling design on my MSI twin frozr 580 doesn't exhuast air through the backplate either but it's the best card i've had for years in terms of temps. Idle temps are under 35 c and maxtemps are 20 c lower than the 470 i had before and that's with the clocks at 835/1670. Cpu and system temps remains the same as with the 470's reference cooler, i think i could add another card like the first one and still have good temps but a third is out of the question eventhough this case has great airflow.
__________________
-=[Q9650@3.6GHZ | Thermalright ultra 120 extreme | Antec 1200 |ASUS P5Q-PREMIUM|MSI N580GTX Twin Frozr II| Kingston Hyper X DDR2 1066 4GB]=-
sammy sung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-11, 08:06 AM   #261
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Sure, it works for single card setups if you don't use other PCI/PCIe cards close to the GFX card. Even a soundcard will mess up the temps with my Palits. It's just a bad design. I really prefer the exhaust design used on the reference cards. I was never a fan of custom/aftermarket coolers.
It's surprising you don't water cool your video cards. I use a Corsair H70 on my 990X, pulls air from outside the case to cool the CPU, which doesn't help the graphics cards, but a case with good airflow does.
For you and the Palits, I would think you want a Sliverstone Raven, so the heat would rise off the cards to the top of the case, rather than off the cards into the next card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
And also not smart in Palit's case. Who needs 3GB? nV Surround Users - so SLI (sometimes Tri-SLI) is a must.
Here's why I keep refuting you when you say this:

1. I've been using 57X10 nV Surround every day with 1.5GB VRAM per card, and I've never once thought to myself "Curses! if only I had 2GB per card!" Actually I have two 2GB GTX560s that I use in my 25X16 rig, because I prefer using the 1.5GB 480s or 590 in my 57X10 rig.

2. You make a blanket statement like this, you totally omit the fact that there are NV Surround users with 50X10 rigs that likely never come close to the 1.5 VRAM.

3. I don't doubt there are isolated instances where a person could exceed the 1.5GB on the 590 with a game. However, you could say this about 2GB per card on some settings and games as well, so your argument boils down to "I can find a few games and a few settings where the VRAM usage falls between 1.5 and 2GB". To me, that doesn't outweigh the far higher noise, lack of PhysX, and lack of 3D Vision on the alternative 6990s.

4. Your opinion on the subject seems colored by your use of the super rare 76X16 resolution that 2GB isn't enough for either.

I guess a "perfect card" would be a 590 with 3GB of VRAM and it's own water setup like the old Gainward CoolFXs, but cards have to be manufactured to hit price/profit margins so they manufactured from a business perspective of "What will serve the most users best most of the time" perspective. Not from a "We must create a card where no possible flaw can be found". Such a card does not exist, and it never will.

BTW- I used 2GB instead of the 3GB you mentioned because there are no competing 3GB cards.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-11, 11:29 AM   #262
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: GeForce GTX 590 Review Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
I used watercooling for many years and many SLI generations. I simply don't like it. And I mean real watercooling and not that H50/H70 stuff.
By the looks of it, I might have to use watercooling again if things don't change with future generations. We'll see. I'd like to avoid that though...
My next case will be a TJ11. It uses a similar layout as the Ravens but also higher quality materials. I guess I'll get it for SNB-E. Not in the mood for a case swap

About the 3GB. I don't want to get into this again. But fact is that choosing a 3GB 580 over a 1.5GB 580 makes no sense unless you're using any kind of Surround setup. And for that SLI is needed. So in my opinion, Palit ****ed up with their cooling choice.
I mentioned the H70 because you said you were concerned about the Palits heating the air you use to cool the Palit's.

I like the H50 and H70 because they allow a decent OC, are cheap, and don't have the maintenance of traditional water cooling.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 01:07 AM   #263
MikeC
Administrator
 
MikeC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1997
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,531
Exclamation The GeForce GTX 590 Starting to Heat Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Seriously, after having used the 480 for over a year, I'm enjoying the acoustics on the 590.
Not so much now that the weather has been warming up outdoors
MikeC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-11, 05:44 PM   #264
Rollo
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,719
Default Re: The GeForce GTX 590 Starting to Heat Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC View Post
Not so much now that the weather has been warming up outdoors
You should get central air with a compressor for your computer room only. If you lower your ambient to 58F the 590 makes "anti-noise" like those noise cancelling headpohones....

Heh, my house is 72-73F year round, so I haven't noticed any differences. Given what I've gone through trying to keep some 3-4 GPU sets cool, I imagine if you have an 80F ambient or higher the high end stuff gets difficult.
__________________
Rig1:
intel 990X + 2 X EVGA 3GB GTX580 + 3 X Acer GD235Hz
3D Vision Surround

Rig 2:
intel 2500K + NVIDIA GTX590 + Dell 3007 WFPHC

[SIZE="1"]NVIDIA Focus Group Member
[B]NVIDIA Focus Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the Members.[/B][/SIZE]
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.