Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-25-11, 11:21 PM   #1
Ninja Prime

Default Whats up with PSN?

Was gonna play portal 2 with a buddy on PS3, but its down? Looked into, wtf is this shiz? http://www.tomsguide.com/us/PSN-Outa...ews-10960.html

User credit card data may be stolen? Holy crap. I would bet my house that this is entirely related to the Geo Hotz deal... Should have handled that better Sony.

Plus a bonus, PA at its finest:

Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 12:12 AM   #2
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Whats up with PSN?

yeah, Sony handed this whole geohot (what ever the name was) very poorly, and now they are paying for it.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 06:32 AM   #3
Bah!

Actually GeoHot handled this whole PS3 thing horribly and now other gamers are paying for it.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 10:56 AM   #4
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
Actually GeoHot handled this whole PS3 thing horribly and now other gamers are paying for it.
No, Sony tried to play Apple and lock down complete control on their system. Hence the countless EULA agreements and updates. And they have failed completely. GeoHot showed no malicious intentions. He posted the security key, that's it. It has nothing to do with piracy, it's a belief that the hardware you own is yours to modify and use as you like. So, the tighter Sony squeezed, the more he worked to obtain the key so he could release it.

If Sony had left Linux in there and opened up some form of access to the hardware level, they may have never been in this mess. Instead, they began removing features, which I have never seen before, and it pissed a lot of people off.

The truth is, Sony's PSN network was flawed and unsecured. Hopefully we will have some good updates when it's back up and it will actually keep our information secure. As of now, it's possible that everyone who has used a credit card on PSN has been compromised.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 11:15 AM   #5
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
No, Sony tried to play Apple and lock down complete control on their system. Hence the countless EULA agreements and updates. And they have failed completely. GeoHot showed now malicious intentions. He posted the security key, that's it. It has nothing to do with piracy, it's a belief that the hardware you own is yours to modify and use as you like. So, the tighter Sony squeezed, the more he worked to obtain the key so he could release it.

If Sony had left Linux in there and opened up some form of access to the hardware level, they may have never been in this mess. Instead, they began removing features, which I have never seen before, and it pissed a lot of people off.

The truth is, Sony's PSN network was flawed and unsecured. Hopefully we will have some good updates when it's back up and it will actually keep our information secure. As of now, it's possible that everyone who has used a credit card on PSN has been compromised.
excactly, MS is bad with consoles, but Sony sometimes is a lot worse. Now the question is did sony learn anything or will they be back to their old tricks soon.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 11:28 AM   #6
|MaguS|

Quote:
No, Sony tried to play Apple and lock down complete control on their system. Hence the countless EULA agreements and updates. And they have failed completely. GeoHot showed now malicious intentions. He posted the security key, that's it. It has nothing to do with piracy, it's a belief that the hardware you own is yours to modify and use as you like. So, the tighter Sony squeezed, the more he worked to obtain the key so he could release it.

Thats a load, The reason they removed OtherOS was because they were trying to hack the system and get around the security. The removal of it delayed the issue, remember when GeoHot was still hacking at the PS3 through OtherOS?

Sony only pissed off the hackers and a few linux fans.
Old 04-26-11, 01:05 PM   #7
Roliath

Quote:
The truth is, Sony's PSN network was flawed and unsecured.
You mean Amazon's network was flawed.
Old 04-26-11, 01:23 PM   #8
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Thats a load, The reason they removed OtherOS was because they were trying to hack the system and get around the security. The removal of it delayed the issue, remember when GeoHot was still hacking at the PS3 through OtherOS?

Sony only pissed off the hackers and a few linux fans.
Not a load at all. Removing the feature only fueled the fire. It wasn't long before Geohot released a hacked firmware. You think he would have done that if they never removed the feature?

They should have anticipated this at launch. I mean if you add an OS, especially one that's based on open code and free software, why would you expect the users to not try and expose the under workings of the system?

Old 04-26-11, 01:26 PM   #9
|MaguS|

Quote:
Not a load at all. Removing the feature only fueled the fire. It wasn't long before Geohot released a hacked firmware. You think he would have done that if they never removed the feature?

They should have anticipated this at launch.
Yes I do. Why would he have been working on hacking the system before they started removing the functionality. The only reason they removed OtherOS was because people like him started dumping the HyperVisor and other aspects of the PS3's security.
Old 04-26-11, 01:28 PM   #10
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yes I do. Why would he have been working on hacking the system before they started removing the functionality. The only reason they removed OtherOS was because people like him started dumping the HyperVisor and other aspects of the PS3's security.
I was talking about releasing a hacked firmware, not the security codes. I realize that he was working on the security keys beforehand, but apparently that was to be able to access the hardware, which was severely restricted. Geohot is not a pirate, piracy is a byproduct of opening the system.
Old 04-26-11, 03:44 PM   #11
LurkerLito

When OtherOS was still there, most were only hacking to access the RX chip which Sony decided they didn't want anyone but game devs using. Once people started dumping the HV and other stuff through Linux, they were progressing to get access to it. Then Sony said no more OtherOS on new slims, most of the hackers all of a sudden got a new problem to solve, why can there be no OtherOS on slims? That is where the failed overflow team started working on getting lower level access to put it back in themselves and instead broke through most of the PS3's security. If Sony just left OtherOS alone the PS3 would probably have remained uncracked. Remember Pirates are generally idiots wanting to get something for nothing. The most they want to do is follow a guide on how to get in so they can play their pirated games. They generally don't have the technical expertise to hack the hardware, they need the hackers to do that for them so they can modify the hacker's work for their own use. If Sony just spent a bit of money on securing OtherOS a bit more and just left it on all their systems none of the hackers would have tried to break the security of the PS3. Their only worry would have been the Jailbreak thing, which was easy to plug.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-11, 05:03 PM   #12
LurkerLito

The intrusion was pretty severe at PSN
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...een-stolen.ars

They got a lot of personal info and possibly CC#s. If you have a stored CC you might want to consider canceling it. I am so glad I use Virtual CC#s.

The only real issue I have with Sony is how long it took them to notify us about the breach and how much info was taken. We should have been notified within 24hours anything longer is unacceptable.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote