Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-03-03, 01:00 PM   #217
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
Lameness? On whose side, the developers' or the users' side, who are too lame to edit their .ini files and make the game suit their style (and system)? Did you know that you can increase the power of each gun in order to re-enable (well, sort of ) the headshots? Yes, and not only that. The innovation continues, because then you will be able to do the incredible, the powerful, the one and only, kneeshot (thats right folks, with only one shot ) Seriously, i don't know what to expect from Thief III's AI now. A Unified blackjack/sword/bow/flamethrower maybe? Jeez

- H Smith: Unified bl... Cool idea, i'll go tell Warren and Randy right now...
Users shouldn't have to do that though, its a sad state when the users have to edit the files to make the game remotely enjoyable in the first place
Old 12-03-03, 03:16 PM   #218
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Users shouldn't have to do that though, its a sad state when the users have to edit the files to make the game remotely enjoyable in the first place

laughing out loud its like selling the game with big MAKE IT YOUR SELF label.
Old 12-03-03, 03:35 PM   #219
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally posted by -=DVS=-
laughing out loud its like selling the game with big MAKE IT YOUR SELF label.
hmph, theirs an RPG maker for the PS2, maybe they would make an RPG/Adventure maker

Robert
Rob_0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 05:26 PM   #220
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Well some news!

IS took all the feedback given to them, and changed nothing

http://66.193.119.177/index.php?showtopic=206221
Old 12-03-03, 06:52 PM   #221
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

The full version runs like ass. At the very start of the game...16-25 fps.

Settings:

1024x768 with at 1X Sampling, Bloom off and Shadow and Lighting at Low.
Driver settings: No AA, no AF or Texture Sharpinging. Vsync ON or OFF makes no difference. No other game I have comes close to running this poorly...except Halo.

I thought my system was enough. Apparently not. [EDIT] Apparently I need an XBox.

Maybe I need the 52.16 Forceware drivers, but then my Tribes 2 runs like ass. That is not an option.

Oh well. Gotta love Software Etc. for their Return policy.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-03, 07:39 PM   #222
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Quote:
Originally posted by vampireuk
Are you kidding? I was actually being sarcastic. In fact, if you were around at the ISA fora, you would have noticed that we (users) had come up with a bunch of tweaks in a special thread only to be told a few days later (and after approx 6 pages full of tips and stuff) by the devs themselves that we could do some tweaking to the .ini files in order to improve the demo's performance. I suppose they weren't even checking their own forum after all

RoachMojo, definately play with different detonators/horse**** versions. When testing the demo, i tried it on the FX5900U with a pretty conservative version (30.82, don't laugh) and finally saw what flickering was for the first time in my life. Upgrading to 43.45, made the thing fly, without touching anything. Going to Force****, made it unplayable again. Looks messed up to me. Apparently, the Xbox version is suffering with performance issues as well
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-03, 12:10 PM   #223
RoachMojo
Who...who are you..?

Quote:
Originally posted by NAZCA M12
RoachMojo, definately play with different detonators/horse**** versions. When testing the demo, i tried it on the FX5900U with a pretty conservative version (30.82, don't laugh) and finally saw what flickering was for the first time in my life. Upgrading to 43.45, made the thing fly, without touching anything. Going to Force****, made it unplayable again. Looks messed up to me. Apparently, the Xbox version is suffering with performance issues as well
I tried the 52.16 drivers last night, and they made no difference.
Coolermaster ATC-210-VX1 case w/ Rosewill 850W PSU | Q9650@3.6Ghz w/ Zalman CNPS9700 LED | eVga 780i BIOS P10 w/ 4GB OCZ Platinum PC8500 | 3-WD 640GB + External WD 1TB + Lite On 12x Blu-ray Burner | eVga Geforce GTX470 SC w/ Sony 60EX700 HDTV | Nvidia HD Audio on Denon 1909 5.1 and Polk Speakers | Dual Booting XP Professional SP3 and Windows 7 Enterprise X64
RoachMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-03, 02:27 PM   #224
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

I think it's sad that this game got ruined by 'consol-itus'.

Maybe they should have stuck to the PC platform, and 'later', made a console port.

I mean, it's a lot better to port pc->console than console->pc.

O well, I guess they will learn from this mistake the hard way.

Im really sad that this game turned out like this(and I haven't even played the demo yet)

Robert

Old 12-04-03, 06:26 PM   #225
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Agree. I really hope they pay for it but until then... Their other game is gonna suffer again, since (i assume, cause ISA seems to be very happy with the final game) all ISA stuff should be onto IW PC version, trying to improve it now that they've left major bugs/stupid ideas get into the final product. People who got it say that it still saves your video settings (bloom, resolution etc) in a savegame. So you will start up at 640x480 like it or not, and when you load a saved game, everything will be OK. I wonder, from where did they get that idea? X-perience? X-files? Bah, screw it
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
Old 12-04-03, 11:28 PM   #226
Edge
3d animator for hire!

I'm still trying to figure out where people got the "consolitis" idea from. Aside from the innability to enter values on panels (and partially the UI, though it doesn't work well on a controller, either), what exactly was "ruined" from putting it on a console (which was developed ALONG SIDE the PC version, not before it). They couldn't have optimised the game performence for the Xbox, because it runs very poorly even on that.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-03, 11:40 AM   #227
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

No man, it was not developed with an equal focus on both platforms. The game was compromised by the console and that has an effect on the PC version. If you don't want to call it consolitis/dumping down, fine. I call it compromizing the PC version for the sake of Xbox. Here's the reason by the man himself so, Read carefully
I'll quote part of the juice:

"A little less obvious (and a little less clear-cut) is how we dealt with memory limitations. This really did involve some console compromises. And, as is always the way with compromises, that meant accepting some bad with the good...
Basically, developing a single game for PC and console meant designing maps to meet the more restrictive platform -- that is to say, the Xbox. Powerful a piece of hardware as it is, the Xbox has only 64megs of RAM, putting some significant constraints on map size, most notably, which means the PC version probably has more map loads than it might if we hadn't concerned ourselves with the Xbox (or if we'd been willing to create, tune and debug two radically different games). "

Now is it clear whether the game was uncompromized or not? BTW, i've got one assumption: IF the next Xbox has all the power, all the memory that a current super PC has now, how possible is it to have a DE 3 as stripped as the 2? Because if the consoles limitations will no longer exist, something tells me that we'll get most things cut out off 2 back in, we'll get bigger maps and we'll have developers saying "and we guys brought everything back because we believe a game shouldn't feel stripped. Nothing sucks you in more in a game than huge beautiful levels etc". Sounds funny? As long as it doesn't happen, yes.

Here's more:

"By the time you read this, the game will be out and you can determine for yourself if the compromises we made (on Xbox and PC) were worth the tradeoffs required. But (and now I'm talking to the PC players out there) do me a favor and download our patch before you pass judgment!"

Fair enough, but is the assumption that they concentrate first on having the Xbox version running as good as possible on the console (NOT patchable) before switching their attentions to the PC version totally untrue? I assume that ISA had pressure from Eidos to have it ready before X-mas but let me tell you, i received my copy today, and its true: Nothing has been fixed. Nothing. Was the full game already gold when we got the demo? It doesn't matter. ****ed up or not, it can be patched. Personally, i now think they put their efforts on the console first, then they would try to take care of us PC gamers. From the moment they released the demo, they were shooting for a patch.

That will enrage some people i presume:

"True confessions time - I'm not just a PC gamer. Never have been and doubt I ever will be. I've always owned every gaming platform available, always played both console and PC games. What's more, I've always wanted to work on a console game. There. I said it."

Basically i don't see why we shouldn't believe him. The timing of these words though, (and Warren said the same stuff when the PS2 release of the first DX came out) is a bit weird don't you think? It proves one thing: Marketing. That statement, will (and should?) be taken by gamers as seriously as the one by Gabe Newell saying that HL2 runs bad on a nVIDIA product but is awesome on an ATI so we should all buy an ATI card. Some people have to understand a game company's priority/Golden rule (which emanates from marketing): We never say bad things about our products
That's my last post regarding IW. I'm as interested in it at the moment as i'm in Valve's project.

Last edited by NAZCA M12; 12-05-03 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-05-03, 12:58 PM   #228
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

Im curious to see how half life 2 will turn out.

Robert