Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-11, 08:20 AM   #37
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!

Default Re: Whats up with PSN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
nothing that happened in the last week is Sony's fault.
I'd say people definitely have a a reason to be mad at sony for being so careless about the security of their user's data
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 08:24 AM   #38
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
I'd say people definitely have a a reason to be mad at sony for being so careless about the security of their user's data
Not me, I am not mad that the information got stolen because lets be honest if a talented hacker wanted to they could have gotten it from any company (you hear reports of personal info being stolen regularly), what angers me is the lack of being upfront about what happened and we had to wait so long to find out about it.
Old 04-27-11, 09:01 AM   #39
Ninja Prime

Quote:
First off you need to learn your facts. Geohotz released the key long before Sony sued him. In fact, it's the entire reason they sued him. Don't argue points you obviously don't know the facts about.

And while he may have not stolen anything, the people using what he released to hack the PSN over the last week have. They are criminals, plain and simple.

Justify if all you want, but being an "arrogant a-hole" company doesn't justify stealing from them. A crime was commited and it wasn't by Sony.

Maybe one day when you grow up you will understand who the criminals were in this case, and who was a business trying to protect their assets...brah!
Yawn, QQ sony fanboy.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 09:23 AM   #40
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Not me, I am not mad that the information got stolen because lets be honest if a talented hacker wanted to they could have gotten it from any company (you hear reports of personal info being stolen regularly), what angers me is the lack of being upfront about what happened and we had to wait so long to find out about it.
Yeah this has me a bit worried as well. Also I'm annoyed that I can't play Mortal Kombat online (is it bad that this concerns me more than my CC info? ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime
Yawn, QQ sony fanboy.
Everything he said is true. We could argue the merits of the way Sony handled the situation with GeoHotz but the fact is his actions compromised the security of the Sony network and its users. Not to mention it could have opened up the system to massive amounts of piracy. Either way the fact PSN was attacked and is still down tells you all you need to know about the people who support him.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 09:38 AM   #41
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
First off you need to learn your facts. Geohotz released the key long before Sony sued him. In fact, it's the entire reason they sued him. Don't argue points you obviously don't know the facts about.

And while he may have not stolen anything, the people using what he released to hack the PSN over the last week have. They are criminals, plain and simple.

Justify if all you want, but being an "arrogant a-hole" company doesn't justify stealing from them. A crime was commited and it wasn't by Sony.

Maybe one day when you grow up you will understand who the criminals were in this case, and who was a business trying to protect their assets...brah!
this is no different then people "rooting" or "jailbreaking" their phones. And Sony did screw it up.
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 09:51 AM   #42
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
this is no different then people "rooting" or "jailbreaking" their phones. And Sony did screw it up.
Maybe Sony should haven't handled the situation the way they did, but the people who decided to blow up their network are the ones who deserve the blame. Everyone who owns a PS3 got screwed, not just the company.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 09:57 AM   #43
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
This is how I feel. Normally, I'd be mad at the hackers that did this. Right now, I'm mad as hell at sony for:

A. Not building a system/network with enough security checks and defense to prevent something this catastrophic from happening.

B. Not telling us up front what happened so that we could react in a way that would prevent any sort of money from being stolen from us. (changing CC#'s, etc.)

Sony is a big ****ing moronic company. I don't care about what the hackers did; **** happens. I care about how Sony reacted to it. It just shows how careless they are and how much they DON'T CARE about their customers. As a result of all this, PSN is down, and my CC# may have been stolen. It's a crying shame.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 10:46 AM   #44
ViN86

I will probably request a new CC to be on the safe side.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-11, 11:28 AM   #45
Yaboze

The CC data on my PSN account is old and expired. My new CC has a totally different number and expiration date, so I'm not too worried. I am pissed about the rest though and that it took a week for Sony to say something.

I think there's going to be lawsuits or some kind of investigation from the Feds. The Feds are already on Apple's case for storing wifi/cell tower locations on the iPhone and iPad 3G and I think this is a bigger deal.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 11:35 AM   #46
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
The CC data on my PSN account is old and expired. My new CC has a totally different number and expiration date, so I'm not too worried. I am pissed about the rest though and that it took a week for Sony to say something.

I think there's going to be lawsuits or some kind of investigation from the Feds. The Feds are already on Apple's case for storing wifi/cell tower locations on the iPhone and iPad 3G and I think this is a bigger deal.
Can't sue someone because they got broke into and had information stolen. You would have to prove that they had lax security. The Feds are also NOT on Apples case because its totally legitimate to store wifi and tower location since it would take the device a lot longer to lock onto nearby towers without a cache.
Old 04-27-11, 01:14 PM   #47
Albo

Wait. Is the network down permanently? I'm hearing this in school. This isn't good.

I wrote this from my iPod touch. Biatch!
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:21 PM   #48
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Wait. Is the network down permanently? I'm hearing this in school. This isn't good.

I wrote this from my iPod touch. Biatch!
No its not down permanently.