Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-27-11, 12:48 PM   #49
Ninja Prime

Default Re: Whats up with PSN?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
Maybe Sony should haven't handled the situation the way they did, but the people who decided to blow up their network are the ones who deserve the blame.
I don't think anyone ever said otherwise. Obviously whoever did this is a jerk ass for doing it, no one supports them, certainly not me. The fact remains though, its a direct cause from sonys mishandling of the situation, and crappy security besides.
Ninja Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 12:54 PM   #50
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
I don't think anyone ever said otherwise. Obviously whoever did this is a jerk ass for doing it, no one supports them, certainly not me. The fact remains though, its a direct cause from sonys mishandling of the situation, and crappy security besides.
The crappy security is what really bugs me. I'm wondering if I should be changing passwords and cancelling credit cards now. I've bought several games on the Playstation store.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:00 PM   #51
Technoholic

Send a message via MSN to Technoholic

Quote:
The crappy security is what really bugs me. I'm wondering if I should be changing passwords and cancelling credit cards now. I've bought several games on the Playstation store.
I say you should. I've already been robbed $300 and an attempt to use on Amazon which they stopped immediately. If you have similar passwords on different accounts to PSN, you should change it.
-- EVGA 280GTX | SAMSUNG 225BW | X-FI XTREMEGAMER FPS | Z-5300e | Z-2300 | 250GB SEAGATE | RAZER LACHESIS
-- 320GB WESTERNDIGITAL | TAGAN 700W | G15 rev. 2 | NINE HUNDRED | VISTA HOME PREMIUM
-- no longer own this system

[MY LAPTOP]
-- MAC BOOK PRO 13" | DUAL BOOT WITH WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | 2.3GHz i5 | 4GB DDR3 |
-- OSX LION | 320GB HDD
-- Stolen :^(

[STUFF]
-- PSN: lqfocus06
-- AEKDB
Technoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:04 PM   #52
Yaboze

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Can't sue someone because they got broke into and had information stolen. You would have to prove that they had lax security. The Feds are also NOT on Apples case because its totally legitimate to store wifi and tower location since it would take the device a lot longer to lock onto nearby towers without a cache.
I understand that part, but a federal complaint was filed and they do want an explanation.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...nes-ipads.html

Jobs was interviewed and said they would testify on what they are doing.

http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/2011...n-information/
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:08 PM   #53
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albo View Post
Wait. Is the network down permanently? I'm hearing this in school. This isn't good.

I wrote this from my iPod touch. Biatch!
You're listening to high school kids? That's pretty funny.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 01:16 PM   #54
Albo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
You're listening to high school kids? That's pretty funny.
True. They're all xbox Fanboys. They're trying to tell me that ps3 isn't for games at all. Just movies. Even then xbox has better quality. Jeeze

I wrote this from my iPod touch. Biatch!
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 03:36 PM   #55
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
I'd say people definitely have a a reason to be mad at sony for being so careless about the security of their user's data
Who says they were careless? Do you even know how the hackers got to the information?

If they were careless they will get nailed. Unfortunately, even the best security measures can get breached if people are motivated enough to breach it. The same exact thing would happen to Microsoft or your bank tomorrow if these same hackers wanted it to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Prime View Post
Yawn, QQ sony fanboy.
Translation:

You're right, you nailed me. I'm clueless on this topic and now that you've shown that I will resort to meme's instead of admitting that I was wrong.
Quote:
Everything he said is true. We could argue the merits of the way Sony handled the situation with GeoHotz but the fact is his actions compromised the security of the Sony network and its users. Not to mention it could have opened up the system to massive amounts of piracy. Either way the fact PSN was attacked and is still down tells you all you need to know about the people who support him.
Exactly. People can pretend all they want that this Geohotz clown had nothing but good intentions, but the facts say otherwise. And the people supporting him are even worse. Justifying a criminal act because Sony treated some hacker twat badly...poor baby.

The funny (or sad) part is, Sony is only going to get worse because of this, not better. All these "damn the man" morons think Sony was bad up to this point? You have no clue how bad they are going to get, and the people who did this better hope to hell they are tucked away somewhere that Sony can't get to them. Unlike the Geohotz case, these people not only commited a crime against Sony, but against their 70+ million users as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
this is no different then people "rooting" or "jailbreaking" their phones. And Sony did screw it up.
It's not even close to the same thing. Everything that has happened to the PS3 over this past year is a direct result of the information he leaked.

And if even if he did was the same, what these people did is clearly not.

And for the last time, who cares how Sony handled it? If someone is being a jerk does that give someone else to right commit a crime against them? Anyone blaming Sony seems to think that it does.

Finally, for anyone who thinks the PSN had to have poor security to get hacked, open your browser, go to Google, and type in " " hacked. Replace the quotes with whatever you want and tell me again how this is all Sony's fault and how dedicated hackers couldn't do this to anyone.

You can start with words like Pentagon, Microsoft, Apple, Wal-Mart, Amazon, or just about any bank name.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 04:09 PM   #56
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bah! View Post
The funny (or sad) part is, Sony is only going to get worse because of this, not better. All these "damn the man" morons think Sony was bad up to this point? You have no clue how bad they are going to get, and the people who did this better hope to hell they are tucked away somewhere that Sony can't get to them. Unlike the Geohotz case, these people not only committed a crime against Sony, but against their 70+ million users as well.
Its easier for the hackers to hide and do their work against sony than the other way around so who should worry more?

Old 04-27-11, 05:02 PM   #57
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

what I meant by "this is no different then people "rooting" or "jailbreaking" their phones"

is that rooting your phone also gives you the option to "side-load" apps from questionable sources, just like piracy.

geohot "hacking" "jailbreaking" "unlocking" ps3 is no different then doing it to your phone, its your hardware, you should be able to use in what ever way you want. What other people use it for that is a different story, will it be someone loading apps in their phone from torrents, or playing pirated games.

the difference is how company reacted, Sony reacted in shameful, arrogant ahole kind of way, WE SUE YOU, DIE PUNK.

now imagine if Google, Apple (I believe apple did, but to much lesser extent), Microsoft, Nokia, Motorala, HTC etc...) would use phone users for jailbreaking or rooting their phones. Can you image the chaos?
nekrosoft13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 05:09 PM   #58
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
now imagine if Google, Apple (I believe apple did, but to much lesser extent), Microsoft, Nokia, Motorala, HTC etc...) would use phone users for jailbreaking or rooting their phones. Can you image the chaos?
The difference is that Google/Apple/MS are not financially affected when people Root or jailbreak their devices. They have no income tied to the device other then direct hardware sales or software licensing. Sony would lose a lot because publishers would stop supporting the platform (look at the Dreamcast). Googles and Apples answer usually is a new device that has a new way to lock down the device.

Hacking a cellphone is nowhere near as bad as hacking a cellphone. There is a lot more invested in the console industry then developing a smartphone.
Old 04-27-11, 05:10 PM   #59
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

This is it.. the end of consoles forever... the network got hacked!!!! LMFAO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-11, 05:41 PM   #60
Albo

This sucks. :/
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote